Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an inexpensive/easy way to data log without voiding warranty?

'18 Scat Pack.

I already have an ODB bypass in the trunk and am not aposed to hooking up and driving around with my laptop. Bluetooth phone app would be easier but if a laptop app would be more powerful, I'm good with what ever.

I'm not planning to tune, I just want to do some logging. I have a few mods that I can swap back to stock and just want to see how and if they affect the car. I want to look at KR, throttle, TC and ESC under WOT.

I'm hoping I don't have to spend $300-500 for a handheld tuner, and am hoping it's possible to do without unlocking the PCM.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,529 Posts
I believe those devices that sit plugged into the ODB-II port can output the PID info you’re after, but I don’t know how they log that data. I’m guessing you have to have an app on your phone which is connected to the device via Bluetooth, and the app saves the data output into a file on the phone’s storage for use later.

The problem then becomes viewing that file in a useful way. You would need yet another program installed on a laptop or tablet which can open the files and display them in a readable format.

Im sure all that exists, but I can’t provide any further specifics since i use the handheld tuner to generate my logs and the tuner manufacturer’s software to view their logs.

If you do get it all figured out and working, you should make a thread out of it for others to use as well.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
You can data log without modification to the PCM but you will need the smart access cable/security bypass for the OBD. Cheapest way to log would be to get the bypass, alfaOBD software (there is an android or PC version available) and an OBDlink MX (also comes with its own app which I think can log data). You can then take the data and export it into excel for easier viewing.

See page 14 about data plotting.

Although IMO HP tuners VCM scanner (track addict app allows for some logging as well via smart phone) is a pretty powerful logger as it allows math and filters compared to diablo and alfa.

If you chose HP tuners here is a breakdown of cost.

Although absolute cheapest would be the bypass and OBDlink MX+ (comes with software iOS, android or PC). There are cheaper interfaces but MX+ works well with alfa if you decide to start messing with your BCM once your warranty expires.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have the security bypass, got one from Zautomotive with my Tazer. I will check out alfaODB and ODBlink MX. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Is there an inexpensive/easy way to data log without voiding warranty?

'18 Scat Pack.

I already have an ODB bypass in the trunk and am not aposed to hooking up and driving around with my laptop. Bluetooth phone app would be easier but if a laptop app would be more powerful, I'm good with what ever.

I'm not planning to tune, I just want to do some logging. I have a few mods that I can swap back to stock and just want to see how and if they affect the car. I want to look at KR, throttle, TC and ESC under WOT.

I'm hoping I don't have to spend $300-500 for a handheld tuner, and am hoping it's possible to do without unlocking the PCM.

Thanks.
I data log, trip data and engine telemetry with a device that plugs into the OBD2 port. It is configured to ask for certain PIDs. It does not support extended PIDs those above 32. It is not able to obtain manufacturer specific data.

What it does get It saves the bare bones data message to non-volatile memory.

To get the data the device is unplugged from the OBD2 port and connected via a USB cable to a PC and a program on the PC downloads the data and then converts it into numbers that can be written to a file. Or one can view graphs of the data.

For just brute force bus sniffing I use (used) Vehicle Spy. This would capture say all CAN bus traffic and save the data to a file. Oh, it required connection via USB to a PC -- I used my Thinkpad -- and software running on the PC to interact with the device which was connected to the OBD2 port. Because there is a lot of CAN bus traffic VS provided a way to set up filters to limit the CAN messages it captured.

Generally I'd set it up to just capture the messages with the ECU addresses in them. This could be from just one to up to 8. I only used it a few times when I was investigating being able to report door lock status, seat belt status and things like that.

But one could certainly use it for capturing any message data including messages containing odometer data.

Oh, it could be set up to query for data too.

The device I plug into the OBD2 port is pretty limited really only intended to collect enough data to recognize trip starts, trip continuing, and trip end. This is done with RPMs and speed which are queried for every second.

It can recognize various levels of acceleration and braking. There are 4 PIDs that are user selectable that are collected every 5 seconds (or longer, up to 60 seconds).

This device doesn't have the flexibility to be a real powerful data collection tool. I wanted to make it so but my employer didn't feel there was sufficient market for a more sophisticated data logger.

VS is really intended only to investigate/sniff message traffic over the various buses. I've used it for all buses but the bus (protocol) used by Ford. This required a special module which we never bothered to buy.

There are I'm sure more sophisticated devices. Something that has a device plug into the OBD2 port which asks for or just collects the data of interest then sends it to a smart phone or iPad or tablet for viewing and storing. I have never bothered to look into these. My needs are satisfied by the device that plugs into the OBD2 connector. Besides this I have a couple of OBD2 code readers/data viewers.

I have not bothered to look into anything specifically made for use with Dodge cars or a subset of Dodge cars like my Hellcat.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
So OBDlink MX+ software is limited in what it could log...just tried to look for knock and it is not there just spark advance. Looks like you will need alfa after all.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So OBDlink MX+ software is limited in what it could log...just tried to look for knock and it is not there just spark advance. Looks like you will need alfa after all.
Do you know of a less expensive ODB2 device that will work with Alfa and a Challenger Scat Pack? There are a ton of less expensive ones online, they say they work with most cars but only mention Ford and GM. (Sucks that Dodge is like the redhead stepchild of American muscle, even though it's the best 😁. Best American muscle cars, best trucks, and best American SUVs IMO)

Also, does anyone know if torque (app) can read KR values on a Challenger? I used to use it with other cars before I got my Challenger but didn't dive very deap into it's full capability, mostly just reading basic fault codes. I saw a thread somewhere that someone mentioned using it for pulling performance data including KR from FCC products but couldn't confirm that.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
MX and MX+ work without needing other adapters to work with lower speed bus communications. Lx and sx are the lower tier versions but if you look at Alfa's main page they list others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts