Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Daytime running lights topic has been beat to death on here but I'm hopeing you guys can help me with this. I know in other posts alot of you said you had your DRL turned on by the dealership. I'm taking my car in for an oil change next week and when I scheduled the service I said that alot of people take the car to were they bought the car and the dealership turned on the DRL for free. Do you do that? He said it would be $50 to do that. He said it would tie up a tech for 30 min and he would have to charge for that. Can you guys give me the name of your dealerships that turned yours on? I'm hopeing when they see other dealerships do stuff for their customers they'll change their mind. If not I'll take it to the dealership 30min. away and pay them to do it. I can see why they should charge me to do it but the dealership made a $40K sale of the car, I would think they could tie up an employee for 30min for customer service. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I know the Daytime running lights topic has been beat to death on here but I'm hopeing you guys can help me with this. I know in other posts alot of you said you had your DRL turned on by the dealership. I'm taking my car in for an oil change next week and when I scheduled the service I said that alot of people take the car to were they bought the car and the dealership turned on the DRL for free. Do you do that? He said it would be $50 to do that. He said it would tie up a tech for 30 min and he would have to charge for that. Can you guys give me the name of your dealerships that turned yours on? I'm hopeing when they see other dealerships do stuff for their customers they'll change their mind. If not I'll take it to the dealership 30min. away and pay them to do it. I can see why they should charge me to do it but the dealership made a $40K sale of the car, I would think they could tie up an employee for 30min for customer service. Thanks
Took mine to Tate Frederick Dodge in Frederick, MD and they were happy to do it for free. I was treated like a Bentley owner! It only took them about 10 minutes, no where near 30...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Lol, tell them it's for saftey reasons then the are legally obligated to do so, mine did it in 5 min and I didn't pay a dime..had it done twice now by two different advisers and techs for free (due to resetting of vehicle config) and I have never been charged for it. Print out the instructions, it's about a 5-10 min job at max...and if you point out you want them enabled for safety reasons (so people will see you better) they should be obligated to do so, it's a feature ON your car, just turned off.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Give your service work to a dealer that respects you. I expect most respectable dealers would accomodate this request at no charge.
Fixed it for ya...

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I already printed out the instructions for them but it doesn't matter. I don't think the 3 of you will change their minds but thanks again for your responses.
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Rick, did you speak to your salesman? He could do wonders getting it done for free.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick, did you speak to your salesman? He could do wonders getting it done for free.
I called him right after talking to the service writer. It's a small dealership so he still remembers me and said he'd see what he could do. I just thought if I could give him ammo that other dealers did it it would help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just got my first oil change at the dealership that I bought mine at and they gave me the $50 story as well. Service writer said he had to charge to compensate for training the tech on how to do it. I showed them the instructions I had printed out and asked if they could hook up the Star Scan so I could do it myself. He seeemed borderline offended. This was Glenn E. Thomas in Long Beach, CA. Anyone know of a SoCal dealer who is willing to do this courtesy?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got my first oil change at the dealership that I bought mine at and they gave me the $50 story as well. Service writer said he had to charge to compensate for training the tech on how to do it. I showed them the instructions I had printed out and asked if they could hook up the Star Scan so I could do it myself. He seeemed borderline offended. This was Glenn E. Thomas in Long Beach, CA. Anyone know of a SoCal dealer who is willing to do this courtesy?
I can understand them charging if you didn't get the car there but it looks like they could just write it off for customers that spend that kinda money. I didn't even try to talk them down on the price of the car so you know they got alot of money to work with.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I just took my 2010 SRT8 to dealer today and had them turn on DRLs for free. Service manager jokingly said "I'll just charge the salesman for it". I have 3 Challengers from 2 different dealers and never have I been charged to turn on the DRLs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Local dealer, Corning Dodge, did it for free as part of an oil change. Took less than 10 min with me watching. I did not buy the car from them.

Red Bluffian

·
Registered
428 Posts
SRT8 - Clearlake Dodge, Clearlake, TX - No charge
R/T Classic - Finnegan Dodge, Rosenburg, TX - No charge

Both took 5-10 minutes max and both were happy to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys and himiwomen for your help. I went to the dealership and talked to the salesman and he filled out some internal form and they are going to do it for free. I guess that meens the sales dept is paying service or something like that.
Rick F.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
My salesman did mine for me while I waited.. He went and got the StarScan tool from service and did it on the lot. All I did was give him the instructions I had gotten from here. Can't be that hard if the salesman can do it!!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My salesman did mine for me while I waited.. He went and got the StarScan tool from service and did it on the lot. All I did was give him the instructions I had gotten from here. Can't be that hard if the salesman can do it!!
Mine offered to get it done right then but I didn't have the car with me and I told him I was going to have it there for service next Wed. so he set it up for then.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Is this the dealer you bought your R/T from? If so, I would talk to your salesman, and mention that many here (including myself) have had their delivering dealer enable the DRLs at no charge, and why is this dealer charging you for this minor courtesy?

IF the service tech knows what he's doing with the StarScan tool, it's a 5-10 minute job to enable the DRLs. I would emphasize this fact to the salesman, politely, and that this courtesy is a good way to keep you a satisfied customer and help ensure your future patronage of this dealer.

Perhaps the salesman can get it straightened out with the service department then, and get your DRLs enabled for you?

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts