Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished the install. I still have the front clip off because I am re-running my intercooler lines but I will post some pictures and a write-up shortly in case anyone is interested. Install is ~8 for the average guy (that's roughly how long it took me over a 3 day period). Hardest part is separating the head light lens, taking the front clip off is like a 1/2 hour job and can be easily done by one person.

Rather than drill holes in the housing I just epoxied the LED controller inside the housing as there is plenty of room for it and made all the soldered connections on the inside of head light unit. This way if I want to switch back to stock, all I need to do is replace the head light housings as the stock wiring is not modified.

Anyways, nothing too spectacular about the switch backs themselves but what I like about them (and why installed them) is no more white halos in DRL or parking light mode...its all amber and the amber matches stock color dead on and is pretty darn bright! Only down side...there is a noticeable 2 second delay when the halos switch back from turn signal mode to white but I can live with it.

All voltages at the head light connection are 12 volts with pin 5 controlling the ambers and pin 6 and 14 controlling the white halos (varies brightness). Pin 10 is ground. Yup, that's all the connections you need.

I should mention that autoparts store screwed up and instead of selling me 1 roll (1/4" wide 15' long) of butyl tape which is used to reseal the lens...it looks like they sold me the entire box (6x 15' rolls) for $13. That's a lot of butyl tape!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Go out to run some errands and noticed my passenger side white halos in bright mode don't work and neither does the front side marker. Checked my wiring and everything is good...pulled the side marker light and it works using my power supply. Checked the connector to the sidemarker and headlight pin 14 and no voltage. Last thing to check is if powering pin 14 lights the LED board...if not, then the LED board, LED driver or the BCM has flaked out. Well this sucks. I can just hear my father saying "it wasn't broken so why did you mess with it?"

UPDATE: So I checked the headlamp unit and the white halos work. While I was doing some more probing on the passenger side (with the lights on), the driverside halo and side marker went out. Well poop! I think the LED board might have strained the BCM or factory LED driver Looks like a call to Diode Dynamics is in order first thing tomorrow.

UPDATE YET AGAIN: Looks like it is the DD LED drivers. Went back in the garage and all the lights worked again but then the halos and sidemarkers would flicker off then back on randomly.
Kind of like running LED FOG lights with out the anti-flicker circuit.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Think I found the problem. Anyone wanting to install the switch back or multi-color LED boards on +2015 challengers think twice about using DD suggested wiring.

http://www.hellcat.org/threads/2015-dodge-challenger-hellcat-rgbw-multicolor-led-boards-factory-halo-upgrade.8616/page-5#post-1592473

Apparently some vehicles may experience LED board power down if they tap into pin 14 (side marker light) as DD suggests in there install manual. Wish they would update their instructions to give installers a heads up that this might be an issue. Going to add this hiccup to my review that I will post on their site.

UPDATE:

Ah, so apparently pin 14 does not always supply constant 12V.
https://www.*********************/threads/look-ma-no-drls-diy-for-2015-16-challenger.116017/

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so got off the phone with DD and they recommend running a relay and use the connection from pin 14 to power the relay solenoid. Not the most elegant solution. They really need to update their instructions or modify their LED driver to work with the PWM signal. Had I known this was going to be an issue, I would not have bothered with the switchback LED board.

Basically, anyone trying to install DD LED boards (switchback or multi-color) on a +2015 challenger, DO NOT use pin 14 (side marker power) on the headlight assembly as it won't work.

All I am going to do is clip the wire so my side markers stay on when the HIDs are turned on. This means I lose the dim white halos at night.

Sorry for the multiple posts but I hope this helps others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts