Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just picked up a 2020 scat pack. I dislike the D O D G E emblems on the deck lid so I used a heat gun on low heat very briefly just to soften the sticky tape. To my dismay, you can still see the letters back there like the car has been out in the sun for several years. there's no glue or residue left over. Surprised me since it's a brand new car. Any ideas on what I can do to even out the look of the deck lid panel? Or any other things I can do? It looks very bad on my new car.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Billet SXT Plus
96 Posts
There are a bunch of threads here on the forum, but what many do, if they dont want to run that panel naked is purchase one of
Luxe 3m decal sets.

I have had great luck with all of their products, and installed one of their decal sets on my car.

Also, do a youtube search, as there are tons of "how to" videos posted.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a bunch of threads here on the forum, but what many do, if they dont want to run that panel naked is purchase one of
Luxe 3m decal sets.

I have had great luck with all of there products, and installed one of their decal sets on my car.
View attachment 1003740
Also, do a youtube search, as there are tons of "how to" videos posted.
Nice thanks! I appreciate the info. Just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the emblem to remove all the scratches and then polished it. A year later I also purchased the Luxe 3m decal set.

View attachment 1003742
View attachment 1003743
That's cool! I just tried some turtle wax headlight restorer that I had lying around my garage. It removed the ghosting and scratches. It's crazy though some of of my DODGE letters made an indentation in my panel so that of course won't polish out. I may have to get a vinyl wrap for it too.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
This Novus 7100 Plastic Polish kit saved me before. Works great. As a matter of fact, I'm ordering some right now. My SP is 2 weeks old, and that black plastic is already scratched! I even have the EZ Pull trunk strap system installed. Just looking at the plastic scratches it.

Reactions: Maxoom and JavierA

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
863 Posts
I used the old tried and true fishing line to pull my DODGE of the rear....Fortunately buffed
RedChallengerRear.JPG
clean...Then put on Red Challenger...

Reactions: Ashoka

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,941 Posts
The indents are not from the letters, they are from when the plastic part was made

I love it naked myself

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The indents are not from the letters, they are from when the plastic part was made

View attachment 1003763

I love it naked myself

View attachment 1003764

A Guy
That looks nice! I know that the dimples are from when the part was made, i'm not worried about those. My panel actually has indentations from the letters. I've tried to capture it on a photo but it's difficult. It's as if someone marked their location with an exacto knife before placing the letters on the panel. I may have to sand it down with fine grit and polish.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
781 Posts
I would try this Luxe sticker treatment, but my concern is longevity. How does it hold up?

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
411 Posts
Another vote for Luxe, great products. View attachment 1003776
This one, as opposed to the others is the single layer one right? They have a video to install the 3 layer one but not the single layer. Did you just cut out the vinyl stick it on and hit it with a heat gun to make sure it applied nicely?

·
Registered
69 Posts
This one, as opposed to the others is the single layer one right? They have a video to install the 3 layer one but not the single layer. Did you just cut out the vinyl stick it on and hit it with a heat gun to make sure it applied nicely?
The vinyl is already pre cut, so no worries about that. I dont know if the single layer is wet or dry install. The 3 layer is both wet and dry. It's really simple. Here's my vote for luxe

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,475 Posts
Hey all, just picked up a 2020 scat pack. I dislike the D O D G E emblems on the deck lid so I used a heat gun on low heat very briefly just to soften the sticky tape. To my dismay, you can still see the letters back there like the car has been out in the sun for several years. there's no glue or residue left over. Surprised me since it's a brand new car. Any ideas on what I can do to even out the look of the deck lid panel? Or any other things I can do? It looks very bad on my new car.
Thanks!
Just for future knowledge, it's better when dealing with thin plastic pieces to stay away from heat as much as possible because of the chances of distortion or problems like you're dealing with. I took our Dodge pieces off with some fishing line. You put the line behind the emblem and then use kind of a sawing motion to get them loose. It might leave a little bit of glue residue, but that comes off with Goo Gone or something like that (glue remover type of product).

I cleaned it up and then used a product called Meguiar's PlastX on it and it looks better than new. PlastX is designed to polish plastic and it works as advertised. You might have to do it more than once to get the finish/shine that you want. I did it by hand the first time and then the buffer the second.

Meguiar's PlastX.......................

If that doesn't work, maybe you could use a piece of very fine wet/dry sandpaper first and wet sand it. Would it be possible that the heat etched the lettering into the plastic?

It's just a guess.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for future knowledge, it's better when dealing with thin plastic pieces to stay away from heat as much as possible because of the chances of distortion or problems like you're dealing with. I took our Dodge pieces off with some fishing line. You put the line behind the emblem and then use kind of a sawing motion to get them loose. It might leave a little bit of glue residue, but that comes off with Goo Gone or something like that (glue remover type of product).

I cleaned it up and then used a product called Meguiar's PlastX on it and it looks better than new. PlastX is designed to polish plastic and it works as advertised. You might have to do it more than once to get the finish/shine that you want. I did it by hand the first time and then the buffer the second.

Meguiar's PlastX.......................

If that doesn't work, maybe you could use a piece of very fine wet/dry sandpaper first and wet sand it. Would it be possible that the heat etched the lettering into the plastic?

It's just a guess.
Thanks. It's certainly possible that I applied too much heat. I tried to be brief with the low heat setting but it's hard to tell. I've managed to buff it out well enough with plastic polish (for headlights) that it looks fine. I don't think anyone but me would notice it at this point. I'll remember the fishing line trick for next time!

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,475 Posts
Thanks. It's certainly possible that I applied too much heat. I tried to be brief with the low heat setting but it's hard to tell. I've managed to buff it out well enough with plastic polish (for headlights) that it looks fine. I don't think anyone but me would notice it at this point. I'll remember the fishing line trick for next time!
You're Welcome. I'm glad to hear that you got it fixed and you're the only one that has to be happy with the repair.

What I mean is that I've fixed stuff that my Wife or someone else would say that they don't see the problem anymore, but it looks like it's ten feet tall and just glaring at me, if that makes any sense. Sometimes (actually Most times in my case), you're your own worst critic especially on something new like your Scat Pack is.

If you get to the point that it bothers you, as quite a few have mentioned, Luxe or a shop that does wraps in your area can solve the problem for you.

2020 Challenger GT - Pitch Black w/Blacktop package
77 Posts

View attachment 1003763

I love it naked myself

View attachment 1003764

A Guy
That looks real fresh. Nice work.

Noticed a difference in the tail lights from the first picture to the second...are those covered with those plastic blackout covers or is that a real badass tint job?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts