Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery in my 2015 has been showing signs of it's life coming to an end and that should be expected for a 4 year old car and battery...
So I came out of a store yesterday and all it would do is click the solenoid switch...
One thing that was kinda strange was the headlights and driving lights were strobing like strobe lights...

So I instantly thought of my handy dandy little jump box that so many of us have now and realized that it is in my trunk...rut roh...electronic trunk release and a dead battery :)

So after crawling thru the back seat to open the trunk we proceed to connect the jump box up to the terminals under the hood...
I was kinda shocked when all it would do is click...again...
Keep in mind that this jump box has never failed to start many cars :)

So we decide to try it directly on the battery in the trunk....same thing....click, click, click...

By this time the battery is so dead that the dash lights were not even coming on...
Now an older gentleman dressed like a mechanic came walking by and asked if we needed a jump and of course I said "yes"...
So we hook it up to his truck and nothing but click, click, click...

Now I'm getting nervous thinking it might be more that just a battery...
So we pulled the battery out and headed to the parts store...buy a new battery and head back hoping that this will fix it...

Bottom line is we installed the new battery and lo and behold...it started right up!
I am guessing that old battery was SO dead that even a jump would not turn it over...
Guess I'm good for another 3 yrs now...

Ya...I bought a three yr battery because I only plan on keeping the car for about a year and batteries have gotten very expensive...$170 for the three year...

My advise now is that if you are at the time stated on your battery....don't wait....buy a battery...a jump might not start your car if you wait like I did...

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,613 Posts
Yeah mine was completely dead Wed. night, the window did not even drop when I opened the door. I put a trickle charger on it, figured okay let it sit overnight and check it in the morning. Thurs. morning the "Charging" light on the charger was out and the red "Check/Replace Battery" light was on. Opened the driver's door, folded down the back seat, got out the trusty coat hanger and opened the trunk. Hooked the charger directly to the battery and had the wife drive me to work and told her to check the charger and make sure the yellow light was on. She calls me when she gets home, it has a red light on the charger. Told her to unplug it from the wall and leave it alone. So last night I pulled the old battery out and put in a new one from Sam's club and my car fired right up. (well I did have to push the start button twice, is that normal after totally discharging a battery?)But all is normal now!

·
Registered
448 Posts
The battery in my 2015 has been showing signs of it's life coming to an end and that should be expected for a 4 year old car and battery...
So I came out of a store yesterday and all it would do is click the solenoid switch...
One thing that was kinda strange was the headlights and driving lights were strobing like strobe lights...

So I instantly thought of my handy dandy little jump box that so many of us have now and realized that it is in my trunk...rut roh...electronic trunk release and a dead battery :)

So after crawling thru the back seat to open the trunk we proceed to connect the jump box up to the terminals under the hood...
I was kinda shocked when all it would do is click...again...
Keep in mind that this jump box has never failed to start many cars :)

So we decide to try it directly on the battery in the trunk....same thing....click, click, click...

By this time the battery is so dead that the dash lights were not even coming on...
Now an older gentleman dressed like a mechanic came walking by and asked if we needed a jump and of course I said "yes"...
So we hook it up to his truck and nothing but click, click, click...

Now I'm getting nervous thinking it might be more that just a battery...
So we pulled the battery out and headed to the parts store...buy a new battery and head back hoping that this will fix it...

Bottom line is we installed the new battery and lo and behold...it started right up!
I am guessing that old battery was SO dead that even a jump would not turn it over...
Guess I'm good for another 3 yrs now...

Ya...I bought a three yr battery because I only plan on keeping the car for about a year and batteries have gotten very expensive...$170 for the three year...

My advise now is that if you are at the time stated on your battery....don't wait....buy a battery...a jump might not start your car if you wait like I did...
When you connected it to the other vehicle for a jump - was the other vehicle running? How long did you leave it connected before attempting to turn over the ignition in your car?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya...it was running and yes...we let it run a while...
I get what your sayin...I am 67 YO and had a lot of cars and have also jumped many of them :) Especailly in years past when I lived in New England and it's something you have to do ofetn in the winter time :)

The thing is...most of the hot rods I have owned were old cars...it is only lately that I have messed with newer ones as I just can't tinker on the older ones anymore :( so I went modern :)

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,613 Posts
Coat hanger...? Was that to reach in the trunk from the back seat...?
yes sir I have a Tazer and "Easy Exit" is on, Driver's seat all the way back, the Passenger's side door can't be opened far enough to get in on that side. So an old wire coat hanger is my weapon of choice to reach that trunk release.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
The AGM battery on my 2013 is still going strong. I replaced it last week as a precaution but I have been testing the original battery with my inverter and sump pump/other power tools and it lasts for a couple of hours. Is your car a daily driver?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
This may or may not be relevant, but another factor is the jumper cables. A couple of years ago I was trying to give a guy a jump using his cables. Click, click, click. Just for kicks, I put my old cables on from the 70's. I could see mine were beefier, and this guys truck started right up when I used my cables. So, don't cheap out when buying jumper cables either. It might save you, or you might save someone else.

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The AGM battery on my 2013 is still going strong. I replaced it last week as a precaution but I have been testing the original battery with my inverter and sump pump/other power tools and it lasts for a couple of hours. Is your car a daily driver?
Yes...daily driver however I just bought it a couple months ago...it is a one owner lease car...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I absolutely agree on the cheap cables....but this guy had some really nice, heavy cables...
Truth be known I don't carry them anymore...I have one of those small jump boxes that I have used succesfully may times...it's awesome...
I think the battery was totally dead beyond jumping...

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,292 Posts
I chased the battery drama for a few years. oem mopar batts suck. period. there are 4 challengers within a 1 block area of me, (2 are mine)
ALL of us have had battery issues!
I learned, in addition to the previous post, keeping key fobs far away, another one that will throw ya is: dont run the car on a nearly dead battery, for example one that was dead, and charged just enough to bump the engine on.
This can send the car into limp mode (insufficient voltage)
also, if its 100% dead, dont charge it thru the car. (front jump terms or with batt cables on.
Remove batt cables and charge it directly on the battery terminals..otherwise you are sending current into the car and its systems and not 100% into the batt. this can also play havoc with electronics, as they are getitng some juice but not the full proper amount to function normally and stuff will act wierd.

Reactions: Okeesignguy

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

I also have a 2013..it's the original battery...I don't drive the car every day and I only have a little over 20,000 miles on it. So the factory batteries are AGM? My battery still seems fine but I guess I should replace it before long just in case....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts