Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today to start up the Challenger, hasn't been driven in about a month or so, and the battery was dead, and i mean dead! Door locks wouldn't work, window seal release didn't work so i couldn't shut the door all the way, no lights, no nothing!!! So i hooked the battery charger up to the remote posts in the engine bay, and every thing came back on immediatly, but it wouldn't roll the motor over even on start mode. I'm just leaving the charger on it now to build up a charge, but i can't figure out why the battery would go dead in the first place. I can't see anything i left on after it's last ride, lights were all off, doors were fully closed and locked, i just don't know! Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas? I'm gonna call the dealership some time next week and talk to them, could it be a bad battery?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do you have the electronic convenience group with factory alarm? If so, the alarm system could be draining your battery. Instead of locking the car using your fob, lock the doors with the valet key.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have the electronic convenience group with factory alarm? If so, the alarm system could be draining your battery. Instead of locking the car using your fob, lock the doors with the valet key.
Yes, i believe mine has a factory alarm system, how do you tell? I'll have to look at the window sticker. Thanks for that tip tho, does it matter if you lock it from inside the car? I didn't lock it with the fob, just hit the button on the door pannel! And up untill this week, it has been really cold!!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If your going to leave it set a month at a time you need to put a tether on it, i'm pretty sure if you have an alarm it will be set even if you don't use the FOB. If you lock the car and wait a little bit and open the door with the key the alarm will go off.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes, i believe mine has a factory alarm system, how do you tell? I'll have to look at the window sticker. Thanks for that tip tho, does it matter if you lock it from inside the car? I didn't lock it with the fob, just hit the button on the door pannel! And up untill this week, it has been really cold!!
Yes, the alarm activates by using the fob or by using the lock button on the door panel. From the owner's manual:

"To Arm The System Remove the key from the ignition switch and either pressa power door LOCK switch while the driver or passenger door is open or press the LOCK button on the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter. After the last door is closed, or if both doors are closed, the Vehicle Security Alarm will arm itself in about 16 seconds. During that time, the Vehicle Security Light will flash.To Arm The System Remove the key from the ignition switch and either press a power door LOCK switch while the driver or passenger door is open or press the LOCK button on the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter. After the last door is closed, or if both doors are closed, the Vehicle Security Alarm will arm itself in about 16 seconds. During that time, the Vehicle Security Light will flash.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Kinda off helping Orange but do you know why my vehicle security lite don't flash. My alarm works fine but I don't have a flashing light.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If you find out you have an alarm you might want to let the insurance know. They gave me a discount for having an alarm. It was only about $10 every 6 months but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My window sticker say's under the standard equipment list "Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System", i see nothing anti-theft under the options list. My garage is securly locked, i may try just leaving the car unlocked this time and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
My window sticker say's under the standard equipment list "Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System", i see nothing anti-theft under the options list. My garage is securly locked, i may try just leaving the car unlocked this time and see what happens.

I think it's only under an option package and not listed seperate. If you have your build sheet it will be on there.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Wow people expect their batteries to crank after sitting for a month or so? o_O I'd be leery of letting a car sit for a week without starting it...awful for the battery

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
just disconnect the ground wire from the battery and don't close the trunk all the way or you'll have to climb through the back seat to open it

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow people expect their batteries to crank after sitting for a month or so? o_O I'd be leery of letting a car sit for a week without starting it...awful for the battery
Well, i started all 3 classics Mopars today too, 2 big block '68 and '69 Chargers, and my 340 Demon. I forgot to undo all three batteries when i put them away, haven't been started since before T-giving, all turned over just fine and with a little coaxing fired right up! Challenger is running right now, about an hour and ahalf on the charger and she started just fine. I'm gonna now start the car alot more often from here on out!

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
From FOM...

VEHICLE STORAGE
If you are leaving your vehicle dormant for more than
21 days, you may want to take these steps to protect your
battery.
• Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
• Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of
service (i.e., vacation) for two weeks or more, run the
air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes
in the fresh air and high blower setting. This will
ensure adequate system lubrication to minimize the
possibility of compressor damage when the system is
started again.

Your new Challenger has over a dozen modules to keep powered up when sitting around, your classics have none.

·
Registered
113 Posts
just disconnect the ground wire from the battery and don't close the trunk all the way or you'll have to climb through the back seat to open it

Why dont you just pull the "transport" fuse? You can leave the car sitting for as long as you want. You can also start the car without having to put the fuse back in first. All of the cars sitting in the factory lots waiting to go to a dealer have this fuse pulled because there is no way of knowing how long a car will sit on the lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts