Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys was wondering if anyone had experienced this and if so did you figure anything out.
I came home from a car club meeting tonight and went to check out my baby and found that she had a dead battery. I drove her Saturday and came home and washed her. I can't think of anything that was left on. She only has 6,700 miles and turns a year old this month.
The only thing that i have done recently was remove the airbag so i could take off the ram head and put on a fratzog but that was over a week ago, i disconnected the battery to do that project but didn't notice any problems after and like i said took her out saturday with no problem.
any insight would be appreciated.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Happened to me when I only had around 800 miles. I swear every door and trunk was shut, ipod was un hooked etc, but it was completely dead.

Charged it up and haven't had a problem since. Never did figure out what caused it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happened to me this morning, as well. I don't think anything was left on. I suppose the driver's door could have been slightly ajar, leaving the interior light on, but I don't know for sure if that was the case. Either way, the battery was completely dead, no power at all. In fact, I couldn't even get the key out of the ignition switch, as the latch that holds it in place wouldn't let go. I have a charger hooked up to the jump points, and that gives it enough energy power the dash lights and accessories, but not enough to start it. So far as I can tell, the battery does not seem to be taking the charge.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Hey guys was wondering if anyone had experienced this and if so did you figure anything out.
I came home from a car club meeting tonight and went to check out my baby and found that she had a dead battery. I drove her Saturday and came home and washed her. I can't think of anything that was left on. She only has 6,700 miles and turns a year old this month.
The only thing that i have done recently was remove the airbag so i could take off the ram head and put on a fratzog but that was over a week ago, i disconnected the battery to do that project but didn't notice any problems after and like i said took her out saturday with no problem.
any insight would be appreciated.
Do you leave a tuner - Predator or Trinity plugged in?

·
Registered
126 Posts
This happened to me after I installed my dual kicker subs. Took them out... no problems every again

·
Banned
368 Posts
it happened a few times, it is garage kept, i would go in and out of the trunk so instead of closing it completly i would leave it open abit. that WAS the problem. i didnt know that. so now i know better and have never had a dead battery since.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no tunes or trinity plugged in. I notice a thump or electronic noise in the speakers alot. I think it may be the heart beat sound I have read about, could that be my problem and is there a fix for it? Thanks again guys.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I have no tunes or trinity plugged in. I notice a thump or electronic noise in the speakers alot. I think it may be the heart beat sound I have read about, could that be my problem and is there a fix for it? Thanks again guys.
Mine does that as well, I think it's pretty common.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Last summer I had a dead battery and they replaced it with a new one. Dead cell they said. Well this Monday they put in another battery because of a dead cell. They tell me it's nothing with the car. I'm just shocked that it's went through two batterys in two years. I hope this one holds up.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Someone who had their window randomly going up and down due to the door handle problem, reported their battery being dead several times. Your problem might be related to all of that..

·
Registered
621 Posts
After 3 months, I had to pry the covers off and discovered that 3 of the 6 cells were so low, the plates were being exposed. I filled them with water and has been good for 16 months now.

I told the dealership what happened and they said I was wrong in filling the 3 cells, I should of just let the battery go dead. They said I did more damage then good. They said I should of let it go dead, and they would replace it. Yeah sure, let it go dead and leave my stranded somewhere.

But have sympathy for the guy, he also told me that using synthetic oil will not let the rings seat in. My response was "Gee, all SRT-8's come factory filled with synthetic, are you kidding me?" I then said, I got to go and don't have time for this crap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my challenger killing batteries

My 2010 R/T is discharging batteries, I had the dealer look at the car and another reputable shop. Dealer had it for 1 wk and told me car ok brought challenger home next day nothing totally dead This is a brand new top of the line battery I changed to. The first day home I was checking the car with the FOB one time when I opened the door the AC fan came on. ????? Only did it once after doing it all day to check battery. I left car for 5 hours came home and the car was totally dead. I live in Hawaii and it seemed like ac had been running without the key on. Totally frustrating . Ive been disconnecting the negative every nite anyone got a clue. This is my 3rd battery and 4 recharge of dead batteries. Also dealer said to put tape on windows to see if windows are moving. Thats not it!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had a key fob problem discharging the battery?
My 2010 is all stock. When I took it to the dealer they asked me to bring in the 2nd fob. They didnt find the problem. Is there a module that I could change that might fix this dead battery problem that turns on the A/C fan on, which happened to me only one time. Im sure getting sick of disconnecting the ground cable from the battery every nite.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Has anyone had a key fob problem discharging the battery?
My 2010 is all stock. When I took it to the dealer they asked me to bring in the 2nd fob. They didnt find the problem. Is there a module that I could change that might fix this dead battery problem that turns on the A/C fan on, which happened to me only one time. Im sure getting sick of disconnecting the ground cable from the battery every nite.
There is not quite enough information here to be able to help. It seems unlikely that opening the door would turn on the A/C fan. Is there any chance you were in the car, pressed the push button to ignition without starting the car and left it on only to think later unlocking the door turned on the A/C fan?

The only other thing I can think is to open your fobs and make sure they are clean inside. A buddy at work had a fob going crazy lock/unlock, popping the trunk, etc and found lint and dirt in the fob to be the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My challenger does not have a push button start. I changed both batteries in the fobs and didnt see any lint. After I had the car at the dealer for a week, and they didnt find any problem. That day when I drove it home and parked it in the garage. I, just for the heck of it used the fob to open the doors and the head lights come on and the horns beeps. I would do that every 2hrs or so. But one time that evening when I did that the a/c fan came on , so I opened the door and the setting was on the first low fan setting so I turned it off. Went to sleep , next morning opened the door with the fob and the car started everything was fine. That day left the car in the garage went out for 5 hrs when I came home at night the battery was dead so I had to use the key in the fob to open the door and it felt cool inside the car like the A/C had been on. I know it sounds strange but I am totally frustrated . That next morning I crawled into the trunk for the 5th time took the 3 week old battery back and the owner of the parts store suggested I try the highest rated battery they sell. So I did that and have been disconnecting the ground cable every night for now since he told me its not good to keep recharging the battery. Since the only way dodge dealer will look at the car again they told me to leave it there until the battery dies in there possesion. I already stayed with the car in the garage all night to see if something came on. Lucky I had room to put a double air mattress so my wife and I were comfy. Is it possible I have a module that controls the A/C thats bad? I hope someone here has a idea. Cause the first dealer I took this problem to tried to charge me $600 dollars for a spark plug and filter change. Another dealer $295 thats the one that had it for a week. And all I got from them is Dodge in the mainland told me to put tape on the windows to see I the windows were moving at night, which there not!! This challenger is stock no add ons no uconnect trunk light switch ok all fuses checked. Batteries have lasted 3 weeks then 5 day then 1 day then 5 hrs drain must be massive. when it happens.

Aloha from Hawaii

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
My challenger does not have a push button start. I changed both batteries in the fobs and didnt see any lint. After I had the car at the dealer for a week, and they didnt find any problem. That day when I drove it home and parked it in the garage. I, just for the heck of it used the fob to open the doors and the head lights come on and the horns beeps. I would do that every 2hrs or so. But one time that evening when I did that the a/c fan came on , so I opened the door and the setting was on the first low fan setting so I turned it off. Went to sleep , next morning opened the door with the fob and the car started everything was fine. That day left the car in the garage went out for 5 hrs when I came home at night the battery was dead so I had to use the key in the fob to open the door and it felt cool inside the car like the A/C had been on. I know it sounds strange but I am totally frustrated . That next morning I crawled into the trunk for the 5th time took the 3 week old battery back and the owner of the parts store suggested I try the highest rated battery they sell. So I did that and have been disconnecting the ground cable every night for now since he told me its not good to keep recharging the battery. Since the only way dodge dealer will look at the car again they told me to leave it there until the battery dies in there possesion. I already stayed with the car in the garage all night to see if something came on. Lucky I had room to put a double air mattress so my wife and I were comfy. Is it possible I have a module that controls the A/C thats bad? I hope someone here has a idea. Cause the first dealer I took this problem to tried to charge me $600 dollars for a spark plug and filter change. Another dealer $295 thats the one that had it for a week. And all I got from them is Dodge in the mainland told me to put tape on the windows to see I the windows were moving at night, which there not!! This challenger is stock no add ons no uconnect trunk light switch ok all fuses checked. Batteries have lasted 3 weeks then 5 day then 1 day then 5 hrs drain must be massive. when it happens.

Aloha from Hawaii
You don't have an aftermarket radio do you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had this problem several times with my 2010 srt. The dealer claimed that the prom needed to be re-flashed, Reports of trunk lights being on in closed trunks. That solved the problem for a while. However, when this does happen it seems to shorten the life of my battery. I am currently on #3 . Happened again a couple of months ago. Dealer reported they could find no problem. I an getting ready to replace with mopar battery #4 .

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
There is not quite enough information here to be able to help. It seems unlikely that opening the door would turn on the A/C fan. Is there any chance you were in the car, pressed the push button to ignition without starting the car and left it on only to think later unlocking the door turned on the A/C fan?

The only other thing I can think is to open your fobs and make sure they are clean inside. A buddy at work had a fob going crazy lock/unlock, popping the trunk, etc and found lint and dirt in the fob to be the problem.
I had this happen to me and you hit the nail on the head. I had pushed the start button with out my foot on the brake so I could listen to the radio. I forgot to cycle it through to off. It took me awhile to figure out why it was going dead. Now I make sure that it is off before getting out of the car and I have not had it go dead since then.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I have had this problem several times with my 2010 srt. The dealer claimed that the prom needed to be re-flashed, Reports of trunk lights being on in closed trunks. That solved the problem for a while. However, when this does happen it seems to shorten the life of my battery. I am currently on #3 . Happened again a couple of months ago. Dealer reported they could find no problem. I an getting ready to replace with mopar battery #4 .
The trunk light is a physical switch in the deck lid latch. Not controlled by the PCM unless something changed from 2009 to 2010. Yes you are correct that every time the battery goes dead the life is shortened. The longer it sets dead, the more damage is done.

By any chance do you have a Trinity, other tuner, OBDII gauges, etc connected to your car or any aftermarket electronics such as cell phone charger, USB charger etc connected to the "always on" outlets?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts