Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at the dealership, I was getting my fender badges removed. Pulled into a bay for removal, they ask me to move 2 bays down to paint bay and the fob is DEAD!

It will not lock/unlock the doors, nothing. The service manager says two options:
#1 tow the car from body shop to service building. body shop and service bay are about 200 yards away from each other.
#2 have one of their employee's drive me home to get second keyfob. they asked me if I had the 2nd keyfob on me :notallthere:. I asked them if they carry two sets of keys when they drive!

So their bodyshop guy drives me home to get my 2nd keyfob, we get back and car starts just fine, so its the one keyfob.

Now, after that here is my question. The keyfob has a key in it so you can open the doors the manual way in case if the fob does not work. is there a hidden ignition somewhere so you can start the car with the key if the keyfob is dead?

My buddies Nissan has one under the dash for just this situation. If not, a cheap little Keyfob can leave you stranded? Is that Dodge's answer?:fight:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yesterday at the dealership, I was getting my fender badges removed. Pulled into a bay for removal, they ask me to move 2 bays down to paint bay and the fob is DEAD!

is there a hidden ignition somewhere so you can start the car with the key if the keyfob is dead?

My buddies Nissan has one under the dash for just this situation. If not, a cheap little Keyfob can leave you stranded? Is that Dodge's answer?:fight:
The start button cover should pop off then you can use the keyfob as a key to start the car. Strange that the dealer didn't do that?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check on the ignition for a key under the start button. the car message system showed a message "keyfob not detected" it would not lock/unlock the doors at all and no recognition from the car. once I got the other keyfob no problem. dealership is ordering me new keyfob to replace dead one. supposed to be here tomorrow. I will ask about the "key" start option. I hope so!! thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The start button cover should pop off then you can use the keyfob as a key to start the car. Strange that the dealer didn't do that?
does your 2010 keyfob have an actual key that comes out of your keyfob like the one on my 2011 keyfob?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
You need to know about popping the start button out because with some errors your car will not start unless you pop out the button and the key trick won't work unless you pop the button off and insert the fob.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, guess its time to read the owners manual again. I did skim through it.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
New case. Lost a key fob and had to pull out the back-up only to find the battery dead.
Replaced the battery and the dang thing still would not lock/unlock the doors. The car by the way still started once inside with the fob in my pocket ,useing push button on dash.
So went to dealer and was told 68 bucks to program and to make a apt. They told me to avoid the alarm when unlocking the door to: open door to leave car, push door lock button, manually unlock driver door, close door, open door, then push driver lock down manually. Tried it for awhile, it kept the alarm from sounding while using the (hidden key). Tomorrow I was set to go get my fob reprogrammed, found this thread and now very pissed at my dealer. I popped off the push button, stuck in my fob and started the car, turned it off and now I am able to use the remote functions of the fob...Thank you guys and gals for your knowledge of these great cars. Should not be too hard to change a tire right?

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
One of my Fobs died while the wife was out with the car. She called in a panic. Had to tell her how to find the real key for the door and to remove the start button and put the fob in and start the car.
My neighbor works for the company that makes the Fobs for Chrysler he says after they get dropped a few times they usually break.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
These fobs are not reliable. I would randomly get KNF on my first fob. Then it just flat out quit. Had to pop the button many of times. Changed battery and all and it just flat out does not work wirelessly anymore. The 2nd fob is exhibiting same behavior now. (Randomly gets KNF error) At first I thought it was heat related but now I don't think there is any rhyme or reason.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
New case. Lost a key fob and had to pull out the back-up only to find the battery dead.
Replaced the battery and the dang thing still would not lock/unlock the doors. The car by the way still started once inside with the fob in my pocket ,useing push button on dash.
So went to dealer and was told 68 bucks to program and to make a apt. They told me to avoid the alarm when unlocking the door to: open door to leave car, push door lock button, manually unlock driver door, close door, open door, then push driver lock down manually. Tried it for awhile, it kept the alarm from sounding while using the (hidden key). Tomorrow I was set to go get my fob reprogrammed, found this thread and now very pissed at my dealer. I popped off the push button, stuck in my fob and started the car, turned it off and now I am able to use the remote functions of the fob...Thank you guys and gals for your knowledge of these great cars. Should not be too hard to change a tire right?
And unless your warranty is expired, they should not charge you for reprogramming the fob - period.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
These fobs are not reliable. I would randomly get KNF on my first fob. Then it just flat out quit. Had to pop the button many of times. Changed battery and all and it just flat out does not work wirelessly anymore. The 2nd fob is exhibiting same behavior now. (Randomly gets KNF error) At first I thought it was heat related but now I don't think there is any rhyme or reason.

There is a bulletin for that problem with the 09s.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Challenger/TSB/ChallengerTalk_dot_com/Rapid_Response_09043.pdf

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had the PEM flashed in Nov 09 for this exact RRT.
Still an issue but did not seem to happen as much... :shrug03:

What is odd is the remote continues to perform other functions.

Another thing I notice is the function to pop the trunk seems to work better than say unlock the doors or roll down the windows. Seems odd but it is an observation.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I popped off the push button, stuck in my fob and started the car, turned it off and now I am able to use the remote functions of the fob...
This doesn't make sense to me. From what I read, the fob doesn't need a battery to start the car. It needs a battery to perform the functions of the fob buttons. Starting the car uses a different chip (forgot the term) that talks to a sensor which validates that the match is correct. Why would using the fob manually cure the controls of the door and trunk locks?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.