Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2 of these off of ebay, thought I'd share since it's the cheapest price by far I've seen for them. They are $289.80 each with free shipping (Amazon is $349 with tax). The store has 4 singles left in stock, and 4 pairs (this is not my store by the way). There is a 10% coupon for his store which expires tomorrow sometime. Also Ebates.com has a 1% cash back on ebay which I believe is working, which gets the price to $286.90.

LINK

I hope it's ok to post this here, just trying to share a deal on something our cars NEED BIGTIME!! I am buying 4 hyper black SRT rims tomorrow from a local guy so I'll finally have a set of track wheels.

Edit, these arrived yesterday and have a date code of 4317 which is 43rd week of 2017 (AKA 3 months old).

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
That's a darn good price.

Looks like Summit just dropped their price to $322 from $349 recently as well.

I'm shopping for some drag-strip tires myself.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I would ask the. How old the tires are. I found a eBay vendor selling them tires for 598 shipped and I asked how old they are
They said that tire Mfg allow up to 4yrs old ect ect ect in the conversation
So I am guessing the are old stock. And for that kind of money I don’t want old rubber. I will pay more and get local

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They came today and look pretty fresh. Boy these things are wide and sticky! So for those of you wanting some DRs, these are still on sale at the first link I posted.

Tomorrow I may have them mounted...

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
What is the date code on them?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Date is 43rd week of 2017 so they were made three months ago...

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
Yes it is.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got them installed for $40. Holy hell these things hook up. I could not get the rear wheels to lose traction on the drive home! And they look to be about an inch wider than the crapo Pirellis.

I have 2 295/40/20 Pirellis for sale if anybody in Phoenix wants em? Also have 2 OEM 9.5" Hyper Black rims with TPMS. I'll post these in the classified section later...

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I took a 300 mile trip through the mountains yesterday with the DRs. I came to the conclusion that these are NOT track tires. I noticed before I put them on that they were REALLY light, and very soft. My Pirellis are almost hard compared to these guys. The DRs you can push the tread in with one finger and it flexes a lot. The Pirellis not so much. The sidewalls are meant to flex on DRs for launches. That's common knowledge for the experience drag guys I guess, and I've never been to the strip. So going through the curves in the mountains at speed, I could feel the sidewalls flexing a lot. It was unsettling. It felt like my truck with all terrains on almost. You turn the wheel, the front turns, then the rear sidewalls flex, and then the rear follows. It was mushy in the rear for sure.

So the car barely ever loses traction in the rear now running them at 40PSI (it happened once in 350 miles, instead of every time I blip the throttle. Around the turns, I didn't slip at all. But I could tell, these things do go around corners, but not like a regular low profile tire.

These guys are meant to go straight and hook up! The car feels so different, I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Normally for 0-60 tests, I roll on the throttle a little, then more and the tires start peeling out. Now I try rolling it on quicker, then before I mash it, it shifts into second. I realized a couple things. You can double, triple, or maybe quadruple the initial roll on throttle you give it and still hook up. And it needs to be locked in manual shift mode, track setting helps too. So roll on the throttle hard for take off, then floor it, shift to second, then pop out of manual shift and let it hit third on its own. I've watched some videos of guys at the strip and this was what they did. The car wants to shift early in second when the RPMs get up a little and it's not floored. That kills power and the car bogs a little. Ya my car bogs now some.

It's funny how these tires have made this car so different. It's like driving a different car now. It's going to take some getting used to. Now I am wondering how getting some Potenza RE71Rs on the rear would feel? My plan is to get 4 of those next for daily driving and the track. I thought about the Toyo R888Rs, but they wear WAY to fast with 100 treadwear, and are not OK for autocross. The Potenzas are 200 treadwear and are very close to the Toyos from what I read. I had also thought about some 17" or 18" rear rims with the MT DRs. But I imagine the flex is really bad around corners. And I do love to corner as much as I love the straight line.

Since I have an extra 4 rims, my future setup will probably be:

2 stock Pirellis (for trips, donut time, or slow drives to save on rear tire wear)
4 Potenza RE71R 285/35/20 for track and daily driving
2 Nitto NT555R 305/35/20 for straight time fun

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Thank you for the info. I have been pondering these for my new wheels.
Do you feel that it is safe to corner these at speed or is it make you feel real uneasy?

Also any long trips do you for see any issues?

Did you by chance get stuck in any rain? Curious how they performed

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Also how did they perform for you at hwy speeds

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're welcome. They were awesome on the highyway, pretty quiet, except for when you hit the grooves they cut. That was a little loud. They were safe around the corners. Keep in mind I was going 10 or 20 over the speed limit. They never slipped, but you can feel the slight delay with the flex. They seem to have decent channels for rain, although I never hit any. I think you can daily drive these with occasional light rain no problem. I've heard people say to slow down when it rains. Sticky tires are the best upgrade I think our cars can have, even better than the front strut brace. That is unless you like drifting or peeling out. That is a lot of fun. But to increase your speeds, and not worry about accidentally laying rubber and attracting the fuzz, they things rock! Their strength is in straight line traction. Side traction is way better than the OEMs too, but there is the flex. Still with it they stick. I'll be making a video like I did with the OEMs, shot from under the car to show the tires and suspension. That should be interesting... Here is the first one I made with the Pirellis >

That screech in the video, I have yet to hear with these DRs. :)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
Looks like the 10% off sale is over.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope it's still on. You just need to add it to cart now to see the 10% off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts