Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking at Challengers for a while and decided recently to take the plunge actually buy one. I did some checking on the website for a local dealer I found a white R/T (auto) that was listed as 'used' but only had 30kms on it. When I asked about it I was told it's considered used because it was damaged taking it off the transport and had to be repaired. I figure I'd check it out and made arrangements to go see it in person. The window sticker had it listed as a 2010 challenger r/t classic, sticker price $35,395 and with options (Super track pac, electronic convienence, sound group II, sunroof, media centre) the sticker was $44,135. Asking price was $38,765. I took the car for a spin and told the sales lady I'd get back to her shortly. I figured the best way to get a good deal was to finance setup my own financing so I did just that. Today I emailed the sales lady and told her I had secured finacing for a new car asked her provide me with the best cash price they could. I was emailed a price of $37999.00 + $399 for 'tire protection, warrenty and nitrogen' + $150 admin fee + $75.00 for e-test and carproof fee. With tax this ride is approx $43700. Also on the quote was a note that the repairs on the car was $4084! (Plus it's a used car so there are no dealer incentives on this car.)

So... sure, challengers are great cars but I'm a little pissed by the fact $766 off this 2010 'used' car since I arranged my own financing. What could they possibly have into this car to offer such a crappy deal?

Discuss...

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discuss? If the dealer can stiff a customer into paying for the repair, then they'll certainly do it. I'd move on and contact another dealer, because this one just doesn't sound very motivated to quickly sell that car. While many dealers are idiots, not all are. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Put them in your rear view mirror.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right... They may not be motivated as some other dealers. I get the feeling they are more interested in using the car as a draw for the dealership than as an actual piece they are worried about selling. With the new $4000 incentive on 2010's it maybe worth looking at a 'real' new car...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you in Canada or US?

I've been negotiating prices on a brand new 2010 R/T Classic as well (in Canada). It's also fully loaded with nav/sound group/electronic conv./sunroof

They had the price listed around 45-47k.

Currently I have the price down to 34,288 and I think I might still get a better offer by the end of tomorrow.

If it's been damaged and listed as used it should be less I would think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Ottoelite,
I'm in Ontario, Canada. Sounds like you are on track for a good deal! Let me know what you end up getting and the deal you snag!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had found this when I was looking:
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T For Sale | MISSISSAUGA ON

Your probably not interested in a FF coloured one as I am. But I used this posting to kick off my negotiations with other dealers closer to my location.

Also I'm not sure what your dealer has told you but on March 1st the new incentives came out and there is a $4000 incentive on 2010 Challengers. So you should be able to get $4k off the price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's more like the pricing I was expecting and with the damage that had to be repaired and my own financing I was hoping for a lightly better deal. Anyway, I'll forward this link to them and see what the response is. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks again for the link!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So... just as a followup...

I emailed the dealer and nicely explained that I was hoping they could provide a deal on the car that was more in line with competitive dealers in the area. I included the link that was provided to the new FF R/T and mentioned the 4000 incentive now on 2010 R/Ts.

Her reply was that she could get me that other car through a dealer trade but it's not a good comparison becasue it doesn't have NAV. No discussion about better pricing, no mention of incentives or any effort to provide a deal on there own lot.

I think they are missing the point... (or at least she is)

I will be buying a Challenger within 2 weeks but I will certainly not be buying from this dealership now OR in the future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep hunting

Yeah I would say if she won't budge then go elsewhere. The first dealership I went to when I started off did the same. The guy told me flat out when I told him $35,000 that "I would never find a deal that good anywhere". Two days later that same dealership (different salesman) is now offering me 34 ;)

I got my pricing by talking to about 4 different dealerships and had them basically bidding against each other for like 3 days.

If the car had been damaged (and $4000 worth you said?!) that should really lower the value in my mind, even if it was repaired.

If the only difference between the two cars was the navigation, well the MSRP for the Nav unit if I remember correctly is like 970 or so. Less than $1000. So there's no reason the car would be 6k more.

Look around (autotrader worked for me) and find some other new listed ones. Find a couple models you like with roughly the same options from 2 or 3 different dealers and contact all of them. Tell them what price range you think it's going for (even quote them the price I'm getting for my car 34,288 fully loaded with sunroof and nav and all).

I could probably get the salesman I'm working with to sell you an R/T for a similar price and even have it shipped to Ontario for less than 38k (that Mississauga dealer told me it would probably be roughly $800 to ship from there to Winnipeg).

Sorry for the long winded reply if you already know most of this stuff ;) This was/is my first time buying a new car and I'm happy to share the experiences I've been having and what I've learned.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
This was/is my first time buying a new car and I'm happy to share the experiences I've been having and what I've learned.
Talk about beginers luck! Enjoy Ottoelite and Good luck to DataSpa.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here in the US (unless things have changed recently) if a new vehicle is damaged before delivery to the end purchaser, and the costs of repair are greater than $900.00 ($900.01 would qualify), then the car can not be sold as a new car. Meaning the first purchaser is buying a used car and it would be reflected as such on the title.

Clearly this is the case here. The sticky point is where the ownership resided at the time of damage. It would either have still been owned by Chrysler or it would have been owned by the dealer. Not sure where that ownership transfers. IE, when the car is loaded on the transport or when it is on the ground and accepted by the dealer.

Case in point, back in 2005, a hail storm came through and damaged a LOT of new RAM trucks at the factory in St Louis. Months after the storm, after Chrysler had gone through the inspection, repair, and claim process with their insurer, the trucks showed up fpr sale. They were all titled as USED. They sold for approximately 1/3rd of their original sticker price. I know, I bought one, a 2005 RAM Rumble Bee.

Chrysler sold them at that price because they had already collected the insurance based on what the value of the vehicle was determined to be following damage, repair, and loss of value by being used instead of new.

If Chrysler still owned the car at time of damage, the dealer was out nothing and bought it from Chrysler at a greatly reduced price and they are trying to reap huge profits.

If the car belonged to the dealer at time of damage, then they are trying to cover their losses.

Fact is, it is a used car that is devalued both from having been damaged and repaired, and devalued from a used car stand point.

You should determine what the used car value actually is, and what value impact is on the car from having been damaged (diminshed value).

As a minimum, price should start at the original wholesale cost minus any incentives that would be available on a new unit, minus the deminished value for being used/damaged.

I would not even consider opening discussion unless the initial price was at 2/3 rds of original sticker price.

A good starting point would be how much would a dealer give as trade in for that car in its current condition. Then the purchase price should be around 10% above that.

Anything else, you are getting the shaft and need to walk away.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Walking away and looking for another deal is your best option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Autotrader - ebay.... There are tons of good deals out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey guys, great info. Thanks very much MrMopar for your great input.

On the subject of internet pricing, I looked at the link that was provided for the FF by Ottoelite. For those of you who haven't seen it, the price is 32,995 +tax. The link is here:
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T For Sale | MISSISSAUGA ON

Now the interesting part... the price on this FF is 38,890 + tax.
Link: 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic For Sale | Mississauga ON

Notice anything? SAME CAR... 6 grand in price difference.
Your welcome, good luck with your search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick update:
I managed to find a dealer who is willing to work out a deal and who has been great with communication. The car is a few hours from where I live but it's going to be worth the drive and a great opportunity to spend a few hours behind the wheel in it during the ride home.

I'll post some pics and the full specs on Saturday after pickup.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts