Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car into my local dealer to have the oil changed and the ECU updated. They were less than interested in discussing any issues with me.

The oil change took 2 and a half hours. They were very reluctant to answer any questions and I did not get my inspection sheet afterwards. They told me they were going to email it to me and I never got it. I even called SRT and they took the complaint against them but I have not heard anything since even after taking three online surveys.

Are there further steps that I can take to make sure people are aware of this dealership treatment of their customers?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I took my car into my local dealer to have the oil changed and the ECU updated they were less than interested in discussing any issues with me the oil change took 2 and a half hours they were very reluctant to answer any questions and I did not get my inspection sheet afterwerds they told me they were going to email it to me and I never got it I even called SRT and they took the complaint against them but I have not heard anything since even after taking three online surveys are there further steps that I can take to make sure people are aware of this dealership treatment of their customers?

After a service I almost always get -- I can't remember it not happening -- a request to provide feedback to the dealer regarding my last visit.

Additionally I get a reminder I could get a survey from the manufacturer.

Yes, here's cut/paste from a dealer submitted survey to me:

"You may also be receiving a survey directly from the manufacturer. Please complete and send in that survey, should you receive one, as it is our report card. On that report card anything less than COMPLETELY SATISFIED is a failing grade. If we failed to exceed your expectations please let us know now, so we can correct any issues that you may have."

If you get the survey from Dodge that's the time to get Dodge know how you feel.

Be sure you lay the ground work during the service for an accurate survey: Make notes during the visit who you talked to and what you were told.

Put this in a business letter and address it to the dealer GM, service manager, and Dodge customer service.

In the dealer's defense the GM, maybe even the service manager, may not know what's going on. A letter may light a fire under the management. It also lets Dodge know a dealer's quality of service is less than it should be. Dodge may light a fire under the dealer's management.

Dodge management I'm sure visits dealers periodically. At other brand name dealers I have run into the occasional factory dealer management team and have been introduced by the dealer's management to the team and had a chance to speak with them a bit. I'm very quick to speak some words of praise about the dealer I'm visiting and invariably this has the team telling me the dealer rates very high in customer service. The team are very aware of the top rated dealers and my experience at the dealers that were named was in agreement with their top ranking. I never mentioned any bad dealer experiences nor was I asked but I'm sure the team knew the bad dealers as well as the good dealers.

Anyhow, any written complaints -- in this day and age of texts, cell phones, even emails, a nicely composed and succinct complaint letter lands like a MOAB at wherever it is sent -- will prompt a heart to heart talk between visiting Dodge management and dealer management.

I'm very sensitive about service. I don't expect a dealer to kiss my you know what I just want honest service. I try to avoid being a pest and I understand if a service department is busy but if it takes me in it that should mean it has the time to give me a reasonable level of customer service, answer my questions, or if there is some special circumstances at least letting me know time is really tight and taking info to get back to me. I try to make it a point when this situation comes up to ask for a deadline, as in by when will this happen?

And make notes. Make them right in front of whomever you talk to. This puts the person on high alert you are paying attention.

Good service is very important to me. I can buy a car in an hour's time. Sure I may have spent some time beforehand researching my choices and narrowing down my choices but when I walk onto a car dealer's lot I'm ready to buy and most of the time do buy a car in not much time.

Since I much prefer to have my cars serviced by a dealer then it is the quality of the service that is important to me.

Really, service is so important to me, repeat car sales are made or lost in the service department.

All the sales staff thinks all the fancy posters, smiling sales staff, glittering cars, etc.., is what sells cars. It might help to sell the first one but once I have the first car it is what happens around the corner and down the hall in the service department that plays a major role in whether I buy another car again, if I recommend to my family/friends/acquaintances this brand of car, this dealer.

In fact, lousy service, consistently lousy service from a brand's dealer network can have me sell/trade in the car for another brand and then I never go back to brand of car I just got rid of. This has happened 3 times. Not only did these automakers lose out on selling me any more cars I continued to buy cars but from other brands.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly why I did not purchase a Ford. I had two different Mustangs a 2012 GT and a 2015 GT and the service with them was absolutely horrid. I was a dedicated Ford owner from the age of 17 up to 52 years old and that is exactly one of the reasons that I switched brands to Dodge. I sure hope I am not facing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I guess I'm not understanding. nothing personal here but, if you took the car in for an oil change and update and they did that (what you asked and what was recorded on the tech sheet) what's the issue besides they didn't give you a service receipt and give you a hug afterwards? Welcome to how customer service is now days.

2.5 hrs is not even remotely uncommon for drive-up service at busy dealerships during busy times of the week & day. I've been told to come back another day once, even when I had an appointment that morning. Dealership was down two techs and service bays backed up for the entire day. Not uncommon for cars to sit for days before they get into an actual service bay.
It sounds like the service dept was slammed and you wanted your hand held. Maybe not polite and professional customer service and I get that, but far from needing to get SRT involved imho.

You can always take your beef up with the general manager or service dept manager, better still, to have done so when you were actually there in person- not days later when no one remembers you or your car or your issue.

If you had specific things that you needed tech to assess or discuss, you should have made that known before the time of service and stated what you wanted to happen so it was recorded on the only thing the tech sees, which is your service paperwork, including a discussion of your car's issues before the work was performed or after the problem has been assessed...if you didn't state that when you walked in, how are they to know?

IDK, good luck either way.

Reactions: mrbtd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll be more detailed, but I did not want to sound whiny they paid so little attention to detail that I had to stop by Walmart on my way home and buy windshield washer solvent. So in my mind, if they forget something as simple as windshield solvent what else would they have overlooked? Very concerning.

Also, that I did not get the checklist that you get when you have service done on your vehicle. They lost it and promised they would email it to me two different times and I never got it. Also, another thing, they asked me to make an appointment so I could get right in and out-that was their suggestion not mine. Here are a couple of more things and I will quit rattling on. I brought up the possibility of them changing the transmission and differential fluid since I had just purchased the car. The service advisor told me they don’t change the fluids because they are sealed units. I could go on and on, but do not want to bore you guys with all the details. There were several concerning issues that I have not gotten into.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
If you have the Automatic it is a sealed unit. I don’t know about the 2015+ differential.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you have the Automatic it is a sealed unit. I don’t know about the 2015+ differential.
Even if it's a "sealed" unit, surely there is a way to change the transmission fluid?!?! I've never heard of a car where you couldn't change fluids. It's bad enough that there is no transmission fluid dipstick, but if you're telling me that it's impossible to change the transmission fluid, that is just crazy. Can't believe that is true.

Same with the differential - surely there is a way to change the fluid.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,370 Posts
If they did not give you a sheet detailing the service visit I would question if they actually did the work. If they updated the ECU you should have a sticker under the hood stating the calibration put on the PCM along with date/time stamp. Did you check if the oil looked clean/new?

Back when we were taking the wife's JGC into the dealership for oil changes, they always gave me a service receipt along. It would even have comments like: customer declined diff oil change, declined air filter change...ect. I usually do my own vehicle servicing but the wife insisted on buying the 10 oil change package, which unknown to us had an expiration date, when we bough her jeep.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I took my car into my local dealer to have the oil changed and the ECU updated. They were less than interested in discussing any issues with me.

The oil change took 2 and a half hours. They were very reluctant to answer any questions and I did not get my inspection sheet afterwards. They told me they were going to email it to me and I never got it. I even called SRT and they took the complaint against them but I have not heard anything since even after taking three online surveys.

Are there further steps that I can take to make sure people are aware of this dealership treatment of their customers?
Well Yelp seems to do a fair amount of damage, complaining to anyone of importance in the dealership or system would be a waste of your time, IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a Saturday so service manager was off I did ask for him fluid looks okay I did find a fill and drain plug on the diff guess I’ll do it when it warms up a bit and try a different dealer for the trans fluid. My F150 had a sealed transmission and I got the fluid changed in it so I don’t know. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys

·
Super Moderator
14,048 Posts
Even if it's a "sealed" unit, surely there is a way to change the transmission fluid?!?! I've never heard of a car where you couldn't change fluids. It's bad enough that there is no transmission fluid dipstick, but if you're telling me that it's impossible to change the transmission fluid, that is just crazy. Can't believe that is true.Same with the differential - surely there is a way to change the fluid.
The transmission fluid can be changed. Just like other transmissions, you just drop the pan and replace the filter. The problem arises when you have to replace the fluid. To add the correct amount, you must determine the transmission fluid temperature. Dodge determines this using a special scan tool which interfaces with the car's OBD computer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I am beginning to understand the issue it sounds like they just simply did not want to take the time. This is obvious by the fact that they didn’t even top off the washer fluid it is all good I’m not even angry I will just take it to a different dealer this coming weekend and get them to recheck all of the work

·
Vendor
12,393 Posts
should be full transparency, would recommend a different dealer

Luke

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is exactly why I did not purchase a Ford. I had two different Mustangs a 2012 GT and a 2015 GT and the service with them was absolutely horrid. I was a dedicated Ford owner from the age of 17 up to 52 years old and that is exactly one of the reasons that I switched brands to Dodge. I sure hope I am not facing the same thing.
Joke's on you. Dodge is worse unless you have a Hellcat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts