Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,272 Posts
That looks 100% better. (y) Something that should have been done from the beginning. I can imagine how much better you are feeling now. So it seems they can match paint better than they did. Hmmm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes, i'm feeling much better now and dealership manager apologized and he was very professional and gave me a good confidence about the dealership and dealing with them in the future.
He said he never saw the car when they fixed first time before they giving me the car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,803 Posts
It's good they owned it from the beginning, and got it right

A Guy

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Looks good now. So much for the argument that says "too tough to match"..........it's always possible.......if a SKILLED paint guy is willing to put into it what is required.

Quick and Cheap........ is the way to go on a beater but this is a BRAND NEW CAR.......hard to believe anyone in that paint shop thought the first effort here was the way to go or acceptable.

Behind the scenes I bet some heads rolled over your experience. That first job can be BRUTAL for the reputation of a dealership within a community where it sells and services cars and trucks.

Hopefully, for their sake, you tell people about how they made this "right"......... you really don't know how good a business you buy from is when everything goes as planned. Maybe you just got lucky and never had to find out later how bad they .....SUCK!!

I think you get your best view of any decent business when things don't go exactly to plan. How that business takes care of you.......that's where the winners are quickly separated from the businesses you don't want to deal with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Looks good now. So much for the argument that says "too tough to match"..........it's always possible.......if a SKILLED paint guy is willing to put into it what is required.

Quick and Cheap........ is the way to go on a beater but this is a BRAND NEW CAR.......hard to believe anyone in that paint shop thought the first effort here was the way to go or acceptable.

Behind the scenes I bet some heads rolled over your experience. That first job can be BRUTAL for the reputation of a dealership within a community where it sells and services cars and trucks.

Hopefully, for their sake, you tell people about how they made this "right"......... you really don't know how good a business you buy from is when everything goes as planned. Maybe you just got lucky and never had to find out later how bad they .....SUCK!!

I think you get your best view of any decent business when things don't go exactly to plan. How that business takes care of you.......that's where the winners are quickly separated from the businesses you don't want to deal with.
I agree with you and dealership asked body shop that what was the first job was all about and their respond was new hire was the cause and they were very apologetic to them.
Anyway at the all good came out and I’m very happy.
Besides all this a side i really love this car and I’m coming from all kinds of cars and models you can name of BMW, Mercedes etc. driving Challenger something different, very enjoyable, I’m not talking about just speed which has enough for me, i'm talking about overall driving experience ???
Also i always felt power is more than enough when it needed.
Thumbs up Challenger

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I agree with you and dealership asked body shop that what was the first job was all about and their respond was new hire was the cause
Yeah well that doesn't pass the smell test. After I retired from the military I made the mistake of working for a large dealership supervising the body shop. I could only take five years of that. But nothing left that shop without my looking it over line item by line item on the repair order. The painters particularly didn't like me. Dirt in paint, orange peel, color mismatch and back for a re-do. Even so, the least problems were with paint matching. The mixing is all computerized. I never heard of a shop that just had someone work on a car and then kick it out without someone checking. They just wanted to take the chance that you'd accept it and they'd get out of doing it right. But it looks great now. Good thing you stuck to your guns.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very nice. Thank god that mess was fixed

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
135 Posts
I noticed a small paint chip on the corner a few days after delivery. I didn't catch it at delivery because the paint color and the bumper cover plastic are very close, but after examining some pics I took the same day I got he car, you can see it. The dealer said no problem and gave me a choice of how I wanted to proceed. I decided to try a touchup since it was so small and not really noticeable unless you were looking for it. Their paint matching guy dropped by my house to take a look. His words were that a touchup will always be visible due to the nature of the paint (Granite) and to really fix it perfectly the bumper should be removed and repainted. I still wanted to try touching it up first as I didn't want my new car taken apart and put back together by some guy who will probably lose half of the fasteners. I have been around body shops enough to know this. The painter guy from the dealer ordered me a new factory touchup paint vial and returned to my house the next week to apply it. It was a bit too dark, but he did a color match out of his paint stash and it wound up looking pretty darn good.

Before and after

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm not a painter with skill.......and I'm not even gonna pretend I could do it but I've painted a few cars and I know enough about it to know that they can MATCH paint up if they're willing to to the effort required. My guess is they just ordered the correct code and sprayed.......but had they checked as shown in the video and been willing to do just that little extra effort required......you wouldn't be looking at different colored panel on your BRAN NEW CAR.
Metallics are hard. Even if you mix a perfect match, spray technique has a huge effect on the outcome. If you don't shoot the color-check card and the car 100% the same, it's not going to match. Air pressure, paint flow, gun speed, distance, overlap... any one of those can cause a mismatch.

Unfortunately, you really can't tell until the clear goes on, and by then it's too late.

When they paint a section of the car if they don't get an exact match they are supposed to blend it into the surrounding areas. Actually they blend it even if they do get an exact match.
Not with clearcoat finishes. If you try to blend a CC finish, there will be a place where you've got color on top of clear, and then more clear over that. It ends up looking layered. You have to paint the whole panel, or break at a character line. Back in the day when single-stage enamel was the norm, blending was common practice, but it's just not possible with a CC finish.

From the pics it's not clear if they painted the whole panel (including the side of the roof) or just below the character line. Either way, it looks like they got it right the second time.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,217 Posts
I worked for a car dealeship and if anyone has to take your car to dealership take your IPhone and make a video of you walking around the car to prove you have had no damage the things I saw they valet kids do to customers cars where brutal

·
Registered
899 Posts
Metallics are hard. Even if you mix a perfect match, spray technique has a huge effect on the outcome. If you don't shoot the color-check card and the car 100% the same, it's not going to match. Air pressure, paint flow, gun speed, distance, overlap... any one of those can cause a mismatch.

Unfortunately, you really can't tell until the clear goes on, and by then it's too late.

Not with clearcoat finishes. If you try to blend a CC finish, there will be a place where you've got color on top of clear, and then more clear over that. It ends up looking layered. You have to paint the whole panel, or break at a character line. Back in the day when single-stage enamel was the norm, blending was common practice, but it's just not possible with a CC finish.

From the pics it's not clear if they painted the whole panel (including the side of the roof) or just below the character line. Either way, it looks like they got it right the second time.
Not sure if you are in the industry or not but im a tech and base/clear refinishing is blended regularly. In fact the only time something isn't blended is when a small repair is done in an area at least 16ish inches away from an adjacent panel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

BEFORE and AFTER (huge difference)

thank god for the second time

41 - 54 of 54 Posts