Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2011 RT Classic from a dealership two months ago and had them install the SSE before we took delivery. From the start I thought it was odd that it took added force to get shifted into reverse, but we got "used to it". Recently we have been putting the Challenger in car shows, so we have been driving "gentler" and the skip shift has been happening. This evening I crawled under the car and found the problem - the dealer installed the SSE on the reverse lock-out selenoid! When are these dealers going to stop hiring crack addicts to work on our $30000 and up babies?! :icon_evil:

My question is this: the SSE has been in the wrong place for about 5000 miles. Did the tranny incur any excessive wear because of this?

We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow - I sent an email to everyone up the food chain to the owner about my "displeasure"! :fight:

·
Super Moderator
17,340 Posts
Probably not - what you may want to check is the shifter mount bolts are still tight. Since you've been pushing against those 30-lb springs, it could have loosen up the mounting bolts.

You were applying force against the solenoid/spring assembly to get into Reverse - normally when at a stop, the solenoid will energize allowing you to shift into Reverse w/o hardly much effort.

When the ignition is off the solenoid is shut off and it takes some effort to get into Reverse, switch ignition to on (even w/o engine running) and the solenoid will energize and shift effort is way less.

Since Reverse is fully syncho'd it would be possible to accidentally shift into Reverse while shifting into 5th while in motion, since the shift effort is so low on these Tremec trannies.

The Reverse lock-out solenoid is a safety measure to preclude grenading a tranny whey you didn't want Reverse while going 50+ mph in forward motion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
:indifferent:How much did this dealer charge to install the skip shift wrong ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luckily the install was a part of the car deal (I supplied the part).

I installed the hurst (MOPAR) short throw shifter so I think the shifter hardware is good.

Man - they screwed up on a plug and play set-up, just imagine if I had let them do something that actually took skill! I'm still fuming about it. The skip shift works perfectly now (I got the display on the EVIC, but was still able to shift into 2nd).

Want something done right, you need to do it yourself!

·
Super Moderator
17,340 Posts
Yes - the solenoids (and connectors) look the same on these - its just that the reverse solenoid is @ the rear by the shifter, where the skip-shift is on the side of the tranny 1/2way along the main body.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts