Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I absolutely cannot believe these type of people are allowed to breathe.

So back in June 2017 I took the beautiful girl into a dealership to get the timing belt done as preventative maintenance. While I was there I had them do the water pump, serpintine belt, tranny flush, diff flush, alignment, and a oil change. They called the next day after drop off saying that the outer tie rod ends needed to be changed aswell as there was excessive play in the rear wheel bearings so I had them done too. (I am known to drive a bit aggressivly and car had 126xxx kms).

So fast forward like 3 days I go back to pick up and instantly knew something was wrong. The exhaust tone was different and sounded hollow rather than the deep rumble my precious 3.5l has. Started driving and within 5kms from the place the CEL came on - p0300 as well as on the highway the car pulled hard to the right. Well I picked up right as they closed so I had to wait until the enxt day. Called them in the morning and they were very gracious for me to bring back for them to double check everything. That afternoon they called saying the passenger side cam was off 1 tooth but is all good now. I pickup and still knew something was off but it was running better and they said the alignment was "absolutely perfect". Get back on highway and car still pulls and CEL again! Took back for another check over and they said they had the service manager, a tech, and the general manager all take it for drives and they said it was one of the best handling Challengers they've seen (which I understand 0:) ) but they also did an update on the computer and said my DIablosport custom intune was the problem (made me lol because the tune was on for over 3 years before). I took my car back and for months kept getting the CEL with p0300 and I personally changed and checked over EVERYTHING. Did plugs, coils, egr valve and purge valve (possible vacuum leaks), checked all hoses, I cleaned throttle body, new upper o2 sensors, cam position sensor, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, did everything except fuel injectors/filter.

So today I was getting frustrated because of the light and the misfire was getting noticeable so I tore into her myself. Low and behold I find the passenger side cam off 1 fricken tooth! Also they didn't change out the tensioner so it could have slipped one but I highly doubt that. SO I fixed her up and got a new tensioner installed fired her up and she's like new again.

Could not believe they either lied to me or the tech who was working on my car didn't know what they were doing. Also took it to a different alignment shop (small town ma and pa shop) who fixed the alignment and I have the paper to prove the dealer messed up. I firmly believe they were trying to get me to trade it in because the sales rep kept calling me with offers for my car or msrp's for new challengers.

I'm going to write a letter to dodge and leave the dealer a nice personalized voicemail.
Also kinda upset I didn't do it myself to begin with. Took me less than 3 hours to do the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
...Did plugs, coils, egr valve and purge valve (possible vacuum leaks), checked all hoses, I cleaned throttle body, new upper o2 sensors, cam position sensor, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, did everything except fuel injectors/filter...
It sounds like you are a very capable mechanic but you sure changed a lot of unnecessary stuff. Next time do all your own work, you probably are better than than some of the dealer's people but do a better diagnosis next time and just fix what is broken. Good job finding the cam belt problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts