Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just got the car used and needed them to look at a warranty issue, so I figured I would have them also go ahead and change the oil.

For $100 I figured they would at least get it right. I have been driving it for a few days now and figured I would go ahead and check the stick "just in case". The oil goes all the way to the little bend in the stick. About 1" over the top of the safe line. I figure this is about 1qt over.

I check the receipt and it says 7qts. So not really sure what to do as I have read that some people do not think the stick is accurate.

Whatcha think? After a dealer oil change where does your car show the oil level at? This is the first time I have let a dealer do my oil in 10 years. I now remember why.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It does hold seven quarts of oil. so its fine. Just make sure the stick is completely seated in the tube and the car is on level ground. I think 100 bucks for an oil change is way to high. Were there any warranty issues found? If any, this should have not been charged. Of course, this depends on mileage and warranty coverage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does hold seven quarts of oil. so its fine. Just make sure the stick is completely seated in the tube and the car is on level ground. I think 100 bucks for an oil change is way to high. Were there any warranty issues found? If any, this should have not been charged. Of course, this depends on mileage and warranty coverage.
Yea, I had tiny coolent leak from a return hose. They did not have the hose to replace it in stock but said just swing back in. I thought $100 for the SRT8 oil change was standard? But yea, stick is completely seated in the tube. It is showing at least 1" or more oil on the stick than before the oil change. It was right in the middle of the "safe" mark. Now it's about 1" over "right to the bend in the stick".

So now, I am not sure if it was low before and now it's right, or is it overfilled. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yea, I had tiny coolent leak from a return hose. They did not have the hose to replace it in stock but said just swing back in. I thought $100 for the SRT8 oil change was standard? But yea, stick is completely seated in the tube. It is showing at least 1" or more oil on the stick than before the oil change. It was right in the middle of the "safe" mark. Now it's about 1" over "right to the bend in the stick".

So now, I am not sure if it was low before and now it's right, or is it overfilled. :scratchhead:
Just for s---- and grins, try reversing the dip stick and look at it then.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is it possible that the filter did not get changed? If the old one was left on, full of oil, that might account for an overfill when 7 quarts were put in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for s---- and grins, try reversing the dip stick and look at it then.
Tried that and it still looked close to 1" over the "safe" mark. I have been reading a bunch on this at it seems to be a common thing... But no real answers are out there. Car is running fine and sounds fine so I don't want to pull oil out if it actually has the correct 7qts in. Anyone else show over the "safe" mark after going to the dealer???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible that the filter did not get changed? If the old one was left on, full of oil, that might account for an overfill when 7 quarts were put in.
For $100 they better have changed that damn filter. You know, I can't say I have ever taken my car to a dealer and had everything go as expected. :(

I guess i can just call the dealer monday and tell them to take note of it and see what they want to do... However, I almost want to take care of it myself right now if they can't even get a simple oil change right.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
For $100 they better have changed that damn filter. You know, I can't say I have ever taken my car to a dealer and had everything go as expected. :(

I guess i can just call the dealer monday and tell them to take note of it and see what they want to do... However, I almost want to take care of it myself right now if they can't even get a simple oil change right.
Until there's a day when I can't change my own oil.....I'm always gonna do it myself. I don't trust any of those guys to do it right.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't know what year your car is, but there are a bunch of us that 7 qts reads over full on the dipstick. I have personally asked the SRT Engineers during 2 separate SRT Engineers Chat Sessions and both times I've gotten "We'll look into it."

As you said from your research, no one's ever responded from Dodge with an answer. I don't know if our dip tubes were forced a little further into the engine block, or maybe we do have different oil pans that really should only be filled to 6.3 qts.

I know being overfull is not good. 6.3 qts puts me at "full." That's what I put in, and that's where I keep mine: Right at Full.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what year your car is, but there are a bunch of us that 7 qts reads over full on the dipstick. I have personally asked the SRT Engineers during 2 separate SRT Engineers Chat Sessions and both times I've gotten "We'll look into it."

As you said from your research, no one's ever responded from Dodge with an answer. I don't know if our dip tubes were forced a little further into the engine block, or maybe we do have different oil pans that really should only be filled to 6.3 qts.

I know being overfull is not good. 6.3 qts puts me at "full." That's what I put in, and that's where I keep mine: Right at Full.
How far over filled did it show for you. Mine is almost to the bend in the stick.
My car is a 2009. The only thing that worries me is that if the stick is not correct it would end up a tad low. Maybe I should just drain it till it's about 1/8" - 1/4" over the fill line... What a pain.

I am curious as to what the dealer will say tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
887 Posts
How far over filled did it show for you. Mine is almost to the bend in the stick.
My car is a 2009. The only thing that worries me is that if the stick is not correct it would end up a tad low. Maybe I should just drain it till it's about 1/8" - 1/4" over the fill line... What a pain.

I am curious as to what the dealer will say tomorrow morning.
7 qts in mine was definitely above the full line, but I don't remember how much. Close to that bend might be about right.

The part number on my dipstick is 05037739AA. That doesn't really mean anything because there could be more than one number. But, if you have the same number, at least we have the same dipstick.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a different problem on my 5.7,,,,book calls for 7 qt's with filter change but it reads 1 qt low with 7 qt's and a filter change. changed the mark on the stick so I can keep track of the oil level. Not the first time in the last 10 - 15 years I have ran into this problem with Dodge, used to work at a dealer and we had a few TSB's reguarding this issue on some of their engines...

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I change oil & add 7 new quarts the oil on the stick is right at the top full line.

Reactions: NoCash

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the car to the dealer this morning. Let the car cool down about 5min and checked the stick. It showed about a 1/2 qt over with it still warm. They said it can't be overfilled because they put the 7qts in by hand and that if anything it might be a tad over because of it not fully draining. They said it would be fine and to not worry about it. Not sure if asking them to drain some is even a good idea if they did in fact put the required amount in the car. Sounds like the sticks on these cars are not very consistent.

The manual says to check the car 5 or so minutes after shutting it down, and then while it's cold. Uhhhhhh I think that gives you two different readings???? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
887 Posts
The manual says to check the car 5 or so minutes after shutting it down, and then while it's cold. Uhhhhhh I think that gives you two different readings???? :scratchhead:
You'll be surprised how close the readings will be after 5 minutes or after 3 hours. The 0-40 synthetic oil is very fluid and it drains back to the oil pan rather quickly. I don't believe there are any "pockets" holding oil, as some have suggested.

Just for the heck of it: What's the p/n on your dipstick?

jagfan, and any other SRT owners: Could you post your dipstick p/n also, please?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You just sealed the deal for me. After my small ordeal with a dealer oil change, and hearing your story, I will do my own changes from now on. When I bought my Challenger the first oil change was complimentary. Of course I let them do it being free and all. When it came close to its next changing time I decided to see how difficult it would be for me to do myself so I lifted it up, removed the plastic guard and saw it would be easy enough. But I also noticed drips of oil on my filter. I checked if it was loose and it was. I was pissed. I went to the dealer to complain and ended up getting my 2nd change free too. But that's the last time. Do it youself,I say, if you can.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
OLD thread. Redeye 7 quarts without draining the oil cooler 4 oz. Slightly overfill on stick. This is 500 miles on an Amsoil 0-40 change. Acceptable. My car will NEVER see an incompetent dealer which they all are.
E62EA3F5-19E5-4E30-B312-A8367325AEEB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
651 Posts
Mine showed dead on at 7 quarts. New oil change soon and will see if it changed................

Switching to schaeffer oil 0w-40 with moly in it

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
227 Posts
My 2019 SP WB takes 6.5 quarts to the full mark on the dipstick and that’s with a new filter all in. I prefilled the filter before installation and then filled the crankcase with the remaining oil in the first quart plus 5 more quarts which would make it 6 quarts total. Then started up the engine ran until the fans turned on and made sure the oil pressure was good at all times, shut down the engine and waited about 10 - 15 minutes checking the dipstick every so often. At around 10 minutes the level stabilized halfway between the full and add marks on the dipstick. Added another 1/2 quart to the full mark for a total of 6.5 quarts. Been 400 miles since the oil change and the oil level is still at the full mark zero oil usage so far.

If you want to watch some good dyno science on how too much oil in your crankcase robs your engine of valuable power watch Engine Master season 3 episode 32 on MotorTrend. Very interesting 20 minute episode.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Priming filter is required every time. Easy too with this car. Taking 18 fasteners off to get to oil cooler ain’t gonna happen.
F14E8A44-7CD8-4495-A1B0-73B96B54A674.jpeg
7EFEDE74-A12B-4FA0-A98D-BEC0FF8A566F.jpeg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts