Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my oil changed on my 2016 Scat Pack Shaker and noticed on the ticket that they used filter number 4892339aa. I searched the forum and it looks like that is for the 5.7 not the 6.4. Can anyone confirm this? What could happen using the wrong filter? I knew I should have changed it myself.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
whatever filter physically fits on a 5.7 will work on the 6.4.

From the plant the 899 filters are used on 5.7s & 6.4s. Don't know if the 6.2 for Hellcats use the same 899 filter or not.

That part # your service order has looks like Ram 5.7s use that from '13 to present

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
That's a 5.7L filter, go back and make them change it. All 392 and Hellcats came with the 899 so that's what they should get in service.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went back, they claim they entered the wrong number on the ticket. Took me back to show the correct 899 filter installed. It did take a while though I think they swapped them out. Either way the correct filter is on there now. Like Slidd posted above they are not the same filter. Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
IIRC, that other filter turns up on Rams and Jeeps due to clearances being more tight in areas near the filter. The plumbing on those vehicles is different from the RWD passenger cars.

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
But it shows up on 5.7L R/T too, been posted here before. Guess it's 20 cents cheaper than the 899. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Amazing how often a cheaper or inferior part is put on a car, and the one guy-in-ten who catches the mistake is told that we "entered a wrong number in the computer." No idea if that happened here, but ya gotta admit, it happens all too often. Dealerships: ya gotta love 'em.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm confused when I look up the SRT oil filter(5038041AA).
Many on this site have said they use it. It is for the Viper but is a better performing filter.
Yet Steve White Parts doesn't appear to agree with the applications.

OIL FILTER | Genuine Mopar | 5038041AA

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
I'm confused when I look up the SRT oil filter(5038041AA).
Many on this site have said they use it. It is for the Viper but is a better performing filter.
Yet Steve White Parts doesn't appear to agree with the applications.

OIL FILTER | Genuine Mopar | 5038041AA
and yet that filter is included in the Scat Pack Stage II kits for the 5.7s...

And yes the filter works for the 5.7 & 6.4 - I've used it for a few years on both those engines.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to say that just because it fits doesn't make it right.
The SRT 392 engines will pump several gallons per minute of oil.
Hence the filter has to be designed to handle that volume without pushing it past the bypass valve.
That why the SRT engineers specify the SRT filter.
The filter is rated at 11 GPM flow rate if I remember right.
So yes definitely make sure the right filter is used.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Scat Pack
60 Posts
This is the exact reason I purchase the oil and filter on my own and take it to a local shop to have it changed.

The first oil change for my Scat Pack at the dealer, they put in their bulk synthetic and the standard Mopar 899 filter, despite me specifically requesting the 041AA SRT filter and the Ultra Platinum by the quart bottle. :frown:

If my driveway was not sloped, I would be changing it myself - it's the only way to know for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Talon66, You ought to figure a way to do it yourself.
So easy to do on these cars.
From the front of the car no less and you don't have to go too far underneath to do it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Changed oil on RT Shaker. "platinum" filter 899 is the only one NAPA listed for a 5.7 2017. Took it back, too big. Factory installed filter was the smaller 399AA and boy was it on there tight. Had to go somewhere else to get the right one.

First oil change at 4000mi and would like to have done it a little sooner like maybe 2000mi. Oil smelled like a hint of fuel in it likely due to break in and rings and such not seated yet. Probably wise to do the first couple changes at half the recommended 6K.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is the exact reason I purchase the oil and filter on my own and take it to a local shop to have it changed.

The first oil change for my Scat Pack at the dealer, they put in their bulk synthetic and the standard Mopar 899 filter, despite me specifically requesting the 041AA SRT filter and the Ultra Platinum by the quart bottle. :frown:

If my driveway was not sloped, I would be changing it myself - it's the only way to know for sure.
Problem with this approach is...you buy some Royal Purple and a filter, take it to your local Jiffy Lube, they squirt in some of their oil directly from the pump, pop your Royal Purple in their trunk and laugh all the way to the bank...no thanks, I'll lay under mine in the mud and change it before I take it anywhere else...just don't trust those cats who are making close to minimum wage to "take care of your car". But, each to their own...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts