Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I purchased a new TA392 with 55 miles on it - first, I LOVE the car 馃檪

My entire experience at the dealership was a disaster (will write an in-depth post soon). That said, when I got home I noticed the top speed hit 97 and G Force was like .74 front, .78 rear, .7 right.

I assume someone launched the car to 100 and also did a donut. I'm not going back to the dealership due to my already bad experience and I know they won't do anything... But given the car had only 55 miles should I be concerned about any long term impacts to bearings, rings, seals, or gaskets?

I'm hoping it wouldn't have caused any damage but really looking for expert opinions and hopefully reassurance.

Thanks so much!

Registered
You're making a big deal about nothing.........

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
馃檪. Ok. Thanks for the input - that makes me feel better! I was just concerned as the engine wasn't broken in - I usually wait 750 miles before taking anything over ~3,500 RPM.

Registered
Instrument test at Brampton before shipping (mine was 119 mph), dealer is supposed to clear the top speed and all timers and recorders during PDI but most don't. Those G readings are pretty normal anyway so basically nothing to worry about it, nobody ragged on your car, enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Registered
Chrysler dealers leave much to be desired. DO not let the sales experience take away from the car. CSI them into the dirt, not that it matters.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately the issues in this post we're the most minor of the entire ordeal. They messed up every single piece of paperwork, issues from; wrong vin/vehicle on my trade,listing the car as used with 48k miles,wrong address, wrong name, wrong prices, wrong trim on the new car, etc.

It was a mess - never seen anything like it in my life before.

Registered
With 55 miles the car has been demo'd a few times. Maybe driven by one of the dealer managers. The 97 mph could have been obtained when a manager drove it home and he had a chance to open the car up a bit on the freeway. Less likely but it could have happened on a test drive.

Even with my new R/T Scat Pack getting to nearly 100mph didn't require me to abuse the car. My new Hellcat reaches 100mph if I look at it funny. Easy to do.

Anyway there is no way to know the circumstances of how the 97 mph number was reached, but probably not by a launch.

The G-forces don't suggest any donuts or real hard cornering.

I'm always a bit concerned when I read about a dealer messing up the paperwork.

My car buying experience is the "finance guy" who handles the paperwork is efficient and mistake free. He does this day after day and has a routine and sticks with it.

Guess one just has to fall back on the saying "Don鈥檛 ascribe to malice what can be plainly explained by incompetence."

Registered
Good point Rockster, I missed the 55 miles part. I know on the first Scat Pack the dealer let me drive, I didn't abuse it but did get it to 100 mph on a quick blast, oops, sure didn't take long and salesman was cool with it.

Registered
So far on the whole, my experiences have led me to evaluate Chrysler's dealer network as the second worst I've had to deal with (can you guess the first). I don't even have an official Chrysler dealer within 150 miles of me that will change the transmission fluid according to the factory process - they all insist that they will flush it if I bring it in. And this does not include dropping the pan, which they won't do. Chrysler really, really needs to wrangle these guys in and do some major improvements. That probably requires a parent company that gives a rat's tail though, which would explain how it go to the point it's at now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent points Rockstar! I feel much much better about the concern with the car being driven hard - it is probably not an issue. Thank you all for your input.

As a side note, the finance paperwork scares the crap out of me. I will have to wait a few weeks untill I get lienholder information, tags, and registration to ensure everything is correct. It will be a long few weeks.

Registered
And on the test drive nothing wrong with taking it up to speed to check for shimmy, pull, vibration, etc. I did this on both my ordered cars before signing the paperwork even though the dealer tried to rush me in to start signing, you know better to find put before hand than after you sign the paperwork.

Registered
Instrument test at Brampton before shipping (mine was 119 mph), dealer is supposed to clear the top speed and all timers and recorders during PDI but most don't. Those G readings are pretty normal anyway so basically nothing to worry about it, nobody ragged on your car, enjoy it!

Mine from new has read 154. This has to be the dyno run they did at the factory as I have never had it over 140 on a very long stretch. I am not resetting it either as I can always point to it as validation its capable of going 154. LOL
Not sure what normal G ratings are but I did manage to get my rear up to .81 and .83 in normal driving from my house to work a few times. I have a very twisty road though to get to town.

Ron

Super Moderator
Instrument test at Brampton before shipping (mine was 119 mph), dealer is supposed to clear the top speed and all timers and recorders during PDI but most don't. Tapatalk
The Hemis are tested on a dyno at the Saltillo engine plant in Mexico, before they are shipped to Brampton. Also, as a last step on the assembly line, the completed Challenger is run on a dyno before it is approved for delivery. See the 32:49 and 45:19 minutes marks of the following Dodge Challenger Ultimate Factory video.

Registered
Also, as a last step on the assembly line, the completed Challenger is run on a dyno before it is approved for delivery.
But is that chassis dyno run the cause of the high top speeds seen on some cars? I don't think we ever got a definite answer on that but seems unlikely, some 2015 Scat Packs were showing a top speed of 179 mph! :D

Registered
Suspect the high and variable high speed values come from the fact the instrument cluster may not have been properly reset.

Based on my experience purchasing 2 new Challengers one last Dec. another this Feb. from two different dealers, I can say Dodge dealer sales prep sucks. If a dealer can't be bothered to set the tire pressures correctly I'm sure it won't go to the trouble of resetting all the instrument readings to zero.

Premium Member
With 55 miles the car has been demo'd a few times. Maybe driven by one of the dealer managers. The 97 mph could have been obtained when a manager drove it home and he had a chance to open the car up a bit on the freeway. Less likely but it could have happened on a test drive.

Even with my new R/T Scat Pack getting to nearly 100mph didn't require me to abuse the car. My new Hellcat reaches 100mph if I look at it funny. Easy to do.

Anyway there is no way to know the circumstances of how the 97 mph number was reached, but probably not by a launch.

The G-forces don't suggest any donuts or real hard cornering.

I'm always a bit concerned when I read about a dealer messing up the paperwork.

My car buying experience is the "finance guy" who handles the paperwork is efficient and mistake free. He does this day after day and has a routine and sticks with it.

Guess one just has to fall back on the saying "Don鈥檛 ascribe to malice what can be plainly explained by incompetence."

If it's nice out I usually hit that on the way to Church. No not late! I have perfect spots on the route.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts