Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Challenger RT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if it was abused while at a service center or dealer service department. Any built in memory or settings that would indicate high RPM and or excessive speed.
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Even if there was, you would need the dealer tool as I have not seen anything that can indicate how the car was driven using Diablo or HP tuners. You could check the 0-60, top speed or G force on the cluster/performance pages...that is if the dealership did not wipe it. When I dropped my car off at the dealership for rear diff noise shortly after I bought it, some knuckle head attempted a 0-60 run (time was 5.5s) when there was still slush on the ground. I know it was not me because I reset the 0-60 when I dropped off the car. I have been noticing more people installing dash cams in there rides...in fact, check youtube to see the type of BS some shop tech pull.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Why do you ask?

I have nothing that is certain: Could be something available from the engine controller: over rev counter or counters with an engine run time time stamp of the last over rev event. (Doesn't have to be an actual over rev. The fact the engine rev limiter kicked in is sufficient to get a counter incremented and a new time stamp logged.)

One would need access to a (probably sophisticated) diagnostic computer. I don't even know if a Dodge specific diagnostics computer exists and if it can a layman like you or me buy it? And what it costs.

Now some brands of cars have some pretty sophisticated aftermarket diagnostic tools that provide a substantial subset of what the factory diagnostic computer offers. GM customers have I think a Predator tool. (At least this is what I recall I bought for use with my 2006 Pontiac GTO.)

Just did a search. Check out Diablo Sport's web site:

https://www.diablosport.com/predator-2-for-chrysler-dodge-ram-diesel-and-gas-trucks-cars-suvs-tuner-programmer/

Did you note the odometer and trip miles? Did you note the fuel economy numbers, the trip logs before you dropped the car off?

Update: Looks like ChallyTatum knows more about the Diablo tool and he says it doesn't give you access to any data that provides any info on how a car was driven.

Might mention both of my cars (my Hellcat and my JCW) have a trip/data logger connected to the OBD2 port. I use a product called CarChip. (Disclosure: I work for the company that sells this product and was the firmware engineer for this product.)

My Hellcat has a ThinkWare F800 dash cam installed but not permanently. I just bought a second F800 dash cam to install in my JCW. A coworker has an earlier ThinkWare dash cam permanently installed in his Mini and I am thinking of having one permanently installed in the Hellcat.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
When I leave any vehicle, on the service form I cross out all the legal BS and will not sign it and write on the this vehicle is provided to leave the dealers lot and they assume all liability for any damages. If you sign it they not only drive it, it is on your insurance if there is a loss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts