Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While poking around the rear of the 5.7 Hemi on the '13 R/T Classic, scoping out the rodent damage on my firewall insulation, I encountered two capped tubes, one "Dealer Use Only" on the cap. What are these tubes for? If one of the chompy-mouthed visitors in this area decides to take a hunk out of one of these capped tubes....is anything bad going to happen?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I'll check. I didn't touch it, but it may be plastic, rubber or metal. I just saw that it was black.

If it's for transmission fill, why would that be "Dealer Use Only"? Certainly the dealer isn't the only entity that might want to put fluid in the transmission.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If it's for transmission fill, why would that be "Dealer Use Only"? Certainly the dealer isn't the only entity that might want to put fluid in the transmission.
Transmissions are sealed for life - no one but the dealers service dept. are supposed to service or check them. It's pretty involved to even check the fluid levels in these sealed transmissions. They've been that way since 2014, possible even earlier than that.

Just another trick to make sure they make money after the sale I guess.

--------------------------------------------

·
Registered
580 Posts
Please don't let "one of the chompy-mouthed visitors" chew on the plastic tube. Yes something bad will happen. The critter can't digest the plastic, it will get caught in it's digestive track and die. Oh wait, that might not be so bad. The f***ing critter is chomping on your car. Let it die. Ummm, on second thought, maybe it would be bad if the thing dies. It will be trapped in your car and smell really bad for a long long time. Oh crap, now I'm confused. Never mind.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last summer, while the car was parked outside since the garage is full of mowers and crap, one got up under the engine cover and chewed up and O2 sensor. Not the wire.....the actual body of the sensor. My son's truck had a coil wire chewed. We did the normal pest attack (poison, traps, mothballs.) Caught about a dozen field mice. But I live in the woods. I can't get them all. No more trouble all summer. Store the car outside, under a cover all winter, and this is the first time I had them make a nest out of my firewall material.

I had a GMC Jimmy one time. Took it to Jiffy Lube. They open the air-filter box, and pull out nearly 100 dog biscuits. Turns out the mice were in the garage, got into the box of biscuits I kept near the door, and carried them up the tire, along the suspension, into the air intake and stashed them at he bottom of the air box.

Next winter, I'll pack the engine compartment with little sacks of mothballs.

Next problem....a big bear was on back deck last night (huge footprints in the snow). Destroyed a bird feeder around the side of the house. If he so much as touches my RAM or Challenger....he's a rug!

Living in the sticks has it's good and bad points, but at least none of the varmints in my neighborhood are hopped up on crack or OD-ing on opiods. And when I shoot at them, they don't shoot back.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I checked the PDF of the owners manual online.

Fluid Level Check
The fluid level is preset at the factory and does not
require adjustment under normal operating conditions.
Routine fluid level checks are not required, therefore the
transmission filler tube is capped and no dipstick is
provided.
Your authorized dealer can check your transmission fluid
level using a special service dipstick.

WTF is a "Special Service Dipstick"? Sounds like a kinky nickname for your jumbly bits.

"Hey baby, let me check your level with my Special Service Dipstick".

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
. . . WTF is a "Special Service Dipstick"?
The special dipstick has a thermocouple built in. The service technician reads the fluid level (like normal) and the temperature reading. There is a chart that has the fluid level vs. temperature and that's how the proper fill level is determined.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Its to prevent Joe-Bob from going to the local parts store, buying a quart of Dexron ATF and "topping up" the trans like they did on their 1972 (fill in the blank)... There's enough people out there that never read the Owner's manual and screw things up w/o knowing what TO do or NOT to do...

Overfill these modern trannys (they have fluid level sensors to protect them) and it will go into limp home mode.

They use both internal temp sensors and fluid level to determine if something is out of operating range and trigger limp home mode to prevent damaging the tranny.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Caught about a dozen field mice. But I live in the woods. I can't get them all. No more trouble all summer. Store the car outside, under a cover all winter, and this is the first time I had them make a nest out of my firewall material.
You need a barn cat. :cat:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure how Joe-Bob would know where to put the transmission fluid (since there's no marked cap) or could even check his transmission level, since there's no dipstick. Frankly, I'm grateful for any of the design features require little or no maintenance. (I have this archaic old thing called a grease-gun on the tool shelf, that hasn't seen a grease fitting since my 2000 GMC Safari). I was more than just a little perturbed that my spark-plugs needed changed.

As far as reading the manual, I'm as guilty as the next Joe-Bob. I never suspected that my car had 30K spark-plugs and wouldn't have if I hadn't started looking around this Forum. Forums like this are great, but since there's no way of knowing who anyone is or whether they know their arse from a hole-in-the-ground, everything you read here has to be verified either by checking with the manual, or some other qualified source (and sometimes the Dodge garage isn't even qualified enough).

I've changed spark plugs on dozens of vehicles, but I felt like a 12-year-old doing my first set, while doing the ones on my 5.7 recently, because I was continually thinking, "OK, what magic voo-doo method do I not know about on this thing that's gonna eff this whole job up". If I hadn't read it on this forum and verified with the parts vendor, I would have put a gaping tool on the iridium spark-plug and snapped those tiny points off. Even on this forum, you still can see just as many people who say to use never-seize as there are who say to never use never-seize. Youtube helps, but the validity of some of the stuff some jabronies do there is also suspect.

Did you ever go look at the debates on what happens if you put wheels with 114.3mm lug spacing on 115mm lugs? They range from "so what" to "you're gonna kill yourself and half the damn planet when your wheel falls off."

For some stuff, common sense kicks in, but with all the sensors on the motor, intake, exhaust, transmission and the complicated algorithms in the CPU to account for these and make adjustments, it's a little intimidating taking a wrench to a modern car.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I periodically have feral cats set up residence around my place They generally clean up the mice (temporarily) as well as the chipmunks, but then they start after the birds at the feeder and drop litters of kittens that I'm digging out of the wood pile all summer. When the kittens come, the Coyotes come, eat up the cats, then I shoot up the coyotes, feed them to the vultures, and it's a while before the cats come back, and that's when the mice and chipmunks come back. It's an cyclic eco-system I got going. Hence why I've only had three incidences of rodent damage on cars in the driveway, in my 11 years at this place. Every few years, weasels come through and basically kill and eat everything with fur, feathers and scales. I call it "The Reset".

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
Last summer, while the car was parked outside since the garage is full of mowers and crap, one got up under the engine cover and chewed up and O2 sensor. Not the wire.....the actual body of the sensor. My son's truck had a coil wire chewed. We did the normal pest attack (poison, traps, mothballs.) Caught about a dozen field mice. But I live in the woods. I can't get them all. No more trouble all summer. Store the car outside, under a cover all winter, and this is the first time I had them make a nest out of my firewall material.

I had a GMC Jimmy one time. Took it to Jiffy Lube. They open the air-filter box, and pull out nearly 100 dog biscuits. Turns out the mice were in the garage, got into the box of biscuits I kept near the door, and carried them up the tire, along the suspension, into the air intake and stashed them at he bottom of the air box.

Next winter, I'll pack the engine compartment with little sacks of mothballs.

Next problem....a big bear was on back deck last night (huge footprints in the snow). Destroyed a bird feeder around the side of the house. If he so much as touches my RAM or Challenger....he's a rug!

Living in the sticks has it's good and bad points, but at least none of the varmints in my neighborhood are hopped up on crack or OD-ing on opiods. And when I shoot at them, they don't shoot back.
Twice I've had coyotes or bobcats do serious damage (a few thousand dollars worth) to my quarter panels trying to get at whatever critter ran under my Shaker to escape. Also, the pack rats here never seem to go away, and they can get into the garage too. I have poison traps inside and out all over the place. I also have electronic repelling devices around my driveway and in my house to keep both the prey and predators away, and since I've installed all of this stuff, it appears to have solved the problem. Over the years, my Skeeter bass boat has suffered the most damage of all of my vehicles from the pack rats who like to use it for nests that they make out soft material from it and storage of hundreds of mesquite beans in every compartment they can access. :2232censored:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I asked the dealer that my buddy is the General Sales Mgr. and he highly recommended that the only way for me to solve a rodent problem is to get a cat. He recommended a mango orange Hell Cat.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
So you are suggesting he needs a little pu$$y to prevent a problem with his "Special Service Dipstick"?

A Guy

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
“Special Service Dipstick” and “Limp Home Mode” should never be used in the same sentence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,213 Posts
Transmissions are sealed for life - no one but the dealers service dept. are supposed to service or check them. It's pretty involved to even check the fluid levels in these sealed transmissions. They've been that way since 2014, possible even earlier than that.
It's been like this since the first year of the Challenger (i.e., 2008).

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On a RAM forum, lamenting the loss of the foot operated headlight dimmer switch, one member commented about the use of the dimmer on the turn signal stalk by stating "I can't tell you how many times I've man-handled my stalk while flashing other drivers." I almost peed myself laughing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You need a barn cat.
I periodically have feral cats set up residence around my place They generally clean up the mice (temporarily) as well as the chipmunks, but then they start after the birds at the feeder and drop litters of kittens that I'm digging out of the wood pile all summer. When the kittens come, the Coyotes come, eat up the cats, then I shoot up the coyotes, feed them to the vultures, and it's a while before the cats come back, and that's when the mice and chipmunks come back. It's an cyclic eco-system I got going. Hence why I've only had three incidences of rodent damage on cars in the driveway, in my 11 years at this place. Every few years, weasels come through and basically kill and eat everything with fur, feathers and scales. I call it "The Reset".
“The Reset”. Now, THAT is funny!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts