Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer offered me a special on tires during my last service. The original tires are getting worn down (only 16,000 miles). Anyway, I said sure, put 275's all around. They said they could only put the size it came with (245/255). Has anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Their deal price is still likely 150% more expensive than market price. Leave dealer, order tires on Tire Rack and have em shipped to a Discount Tire for installation.

Reactions: c26bt34c

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have vapor chrome wheels....I wonder if anyone had issues with tire changes (i.e.damage, scraping?).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have vapor chrome wheels....I wonder if anyone had issues with tire changes (i.e.damage, scraping?).
Should be no issues if the person behind the counter knows what they are doing. As long as the overall diameter doesn’t change. I used to be the person behind the counter

But dealers are required to put the factory tire back on the car. As the other poster mentioned, go with a good tire shop and forget the dealer

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This is common practice even at some of the large tire store chains. Don't be shocked if you order your new tires and then find out that the tire store will not mount them. It boils down to two things. The first is safety. If you go too wide the tire may not seat properly on the rim and may fail. There are many threads here on size limits on 8.5, 9 and 10 inch wide wheels that go into detail. The second is legal liability which comes from situations exactly like I just mentioned. If you run tires that are too wide for the wheel and you end up in a ditch, the tire store can be held liable.

Do yourself a favor and make sure your tire store of choice will mount the tires before you buy them.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
That's bs because the minimum wheel width for a 275 tire is 9 in wide and that's what you have.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's bs because the minimum wheel width for a 275 tire is 9 in wide and that's what you have.

275s do fit on 9" Rims. They are the widest size recommended for 9" rims.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

Good to know. Now I won't have to buy wheels when my current tires wear out.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Liability and company policy is the ONLY reason they won’t mount the 275’s....... I ran into this problem at Costco so I took my wheels off the car, tossed them into my pick up and had the loose wheels mounted.
A factory CERTIFIED tire tech MUST go with what the tire sticker says or they are violating company policy.

BTW! I know its all BS about the 275’s but thank a lawyer for these BS rules..... Don’t blame the tech!

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
I have 275’s on the back of my 2012, they fit just fine on the rims.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This all comes from the Ford Bronco Firestone tire air pressure debacle way back when. Easiest way is take your wheels off, haul'em to your tire dealer and have them mounted. If they ask tell them there going on a street rod. Bad thing is if you have a warranty claim you could SOL. IDK.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was a taker ! Had 4 put on my '19 T/A 392.........Haven't had a chance to drive it at highway speed yet, but have no reason to think they won't be fine.....
Thanks for posting the link
Tom

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
I was a taker ! Had 4 put on my '19 T/A 392.........Haven't had a chance to drive it at highway speed yet, but have no reason to think they won't be fine.....
Thanks for posting the link
Tom
That $112.81 closeout price for Pirelli P Zero Nero All-Season Ultra high performance tires would be a great buy for someone who puts 15K+ miles on their Challenger. They would not be a good choice for a low mileage car because they were made in 2015 (i.e., they are already 4 years old). A typical tire should be replaced, regardless of tread depth, when it reaches 6 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That $112.81 closeout price for Pirelli P Zero Nero All-Season Ultra high performance tires would be a great buy for someone who puts 15K+ miles on their Challenger. They would not be a good choice for a low mileage car because they were made in 2015 (i.e., they are already 4 years old). A typical tire should be replaced, regardless of tread depth, when it reaches 6 years.
When I had those tires put on the car, I specifically asked that exact question.............their answer was replacement should be around every 10 yrs. I have some classic cars that I don't drive daily or even weekly, and in that case I've run those tires 15yrs with no issues. All my cars are always parked inside a garage overnight, except when traveling, so I'm sure that prolongs longevity.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
When I had those tires put on the car, I specifically asked that exact question.............their answer was replacement should be around every 10 yrs. I have some classic cars that I don't drive daily or even weekly, and in that case I've run those tires 15yrs with no issues. All my cars are always parked inside a garage overnight, except when traveling, so I'm sure that prolongs longevity.
It can extend the life of the tire, sure, but the moment a tire is made, it starts to deteriorate. There's a reason why most auto makers recommend replacement after 6 years. A few that say longer, but with yearly inspections. I think Porsche says 6 years is max no matter what.

Plenty of news articles where a person buys a new "old" tire and within a year, has a blowout and people die or got hurt.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,908 Posts
For the record, I went out and looked at my tires to verify the manufacturing date. It goes by the last four digits of the DOT stamped on the tires. The last 2 digits are the year and the first 2 digits are the week. Mine say 1717 which translates to around the last week of April, 2017, so they're now 2.33 years old and perform great. I expect to sell the car within 2 years, at which point the tread wear should still be reasonable for the dealer or buyer not to say, "I'll have to discount it xxx dollars to replace the tires."
As for supporting site vendor Discount Tire, I'm a firm believer in doing that. Their price, however was over $100 more per tire, and I purchased 4 tires. I know they can possibly price match, but with that price difference, why go through the hassle? If a competitor has a kick ass price to begin with and stands behind their product, I don't think it's fair to use THEM to price shop and use another. The company that offers a super deal to begin with deserves my business IMHO. Anyone can say they'll try to match a price. This leads most people to believe their prices are likely close to everyone else's to begin with. In this case, after doing my homework, they were miles apart. By the way, also for the record, I've used both online tire sources over the years and I've had good luck with both.

Reactions: Frank Julian
1 - 20 of 24 Posts