Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay. So I had a Dodge dealer that screwed up my car countless times install a 2nd new rear end (1st one blew). 2nd was great for 20k miles, then started howling, they replaced it. The new replacement starting howling 300 miles after and has gotten far worse (progressed to when on the gas lightly @ 48-50mph) forget about driving with the windows up and talking. Anyway. Took it to a NEW dealer due to such back experience at the other, and they said oh a rep has to listen to it. Now this is a month after and they listened to it today, it is FAR louder and every passenger asks what the whining\howling noise is, yet they are saying now it is "normal". What would you do? I am starting to figure Dodge is just giving me the foot until something BREAKS and leaves me stranded. Should I throw in the towel and jump ship, or call corporate? Car has 50k, has gone through fuel pump replacement, power steering, rear diffs, 2 half shafts, ignition system (out of service for 30 days thanks to Dodge's amazing mechanics, interior a\c fan failed, t-stat failed....oh and both catalytic converters failed.

What would YOU guys do after being told a rear-end that between 35-55MPH you can't even really talk or listen to the radio with the windows up is normal, after going through all of this with Dodge, would do?

Thanks in advance guys. I've tried to love this car, and I've stuck with it when I should have sold it ages ago, I just never thought Dodge would be "Dodge"ing the warranty so clearly.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised none of the dealers have offered to perform this TSB.

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/SB_PDF/TSB_LC_0300112.pdf
Does not apply to the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT :-\. Right now I feel like I'm driving a ticking time-bomb, as if this rear-end goes out on the highway that is going to be incredibly dangerous. I've had 3 other mechanic shops listen to it and they agree it is going bad and that it needs to be fixed, but Chrysler does not care what any other shop says.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
What do you do to break all these things? Are you driving it like you stole it, like really doing that, instead of the usual internet bluster where people claim they do?

Is there something you can do that will speed up the demise of the differential? So it really is broken? More driving it like you stole it type stuff? Practice 100 times at perfecting your 0-60 times. Surely that won't help the differential.

·
Premium Member
10,024 Posts
Does not apply to the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT :-\. Right now I feel like I'm driving a ticking time-bomb, as if this rear-end goes out on the highway that is going to be incredibly dangerous. I've had 3 other mechanic shops listen to it and they agree it is going bad and that it needs to be fixed, but Chrysler does not care what any other shop says.
Take them to court and bring your shop guy as your expert witness and let the chrysler lawyer try and explain something he knows nothing about.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am probably going to be completely wrong about this but:

Is this car an 08 SRT Challenger? If so, I thought the first year Challenger (08) came out with a single track rear end. If that is true, I thought there was a free upgrade to a Getrag limited slip rear end for these cars. However, my Getrag did whine a bit from the factory. After 8k I had it replaced. The car has 12k on it and now has a slight whine to it again, but nothing like the first diff. My two cents.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am probably going to be completely wrong about this but:

Is this car an 08 SRT Challenger? If so, I thought the first year Challenger (08) came out with a single track rear end. If that is true, I thought there was a free upgrade to a Getrag limited slip rear end for these cars. However, my Getrag did whine a bit from the factory. After 8k I had it replaced. The car has 12k on it and now has a slight whine to it again, but nothing like the first diff. My two cents.
A free upgrade? Please if you have a link, do link me, my god that would be awesome! But no, it seems the 08 does not fit in half shaft wise or anything even drive-shaft with the Getrag, I've been told you have to convert everything and it's around 3500$

I never heard of this free upgrade, if you can find it let me know as currently I have the Mercedes AMG 215MM diff on which is stock for the 08. And I KNOW it is supposed to be dead silent. Taking Chrysler to court over this would just end up making them replace the rear end, and about that....

The dealership would by no means give me this Chrysler engineer\reps name, all they said was to call corporate for further issues. Apparently these reps\engineers don't deal with the "public" aka us owners. Which is a slap in the face considering we all drive our cars 24\7 and I highly doubt every Chrysler engie\rep drives a Challenger daily.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I thought at one point you had enough and was going to get rid of it.I've never seen anyone have that many problems with one car.I have to agree with HEMZSP Buy a ford or a Honda or something and move on.The only car I ever had half that much trouble with was an Corvette my wife had to have.After about a year I pissed on it and sent it on it's way.
As a matter of fact I could total up all the problems with every car I have ever owned and still not add up to as much as you claim.

·
Registered
639 Posts
A free upgrade? Please if you have a link, do link me, my god that would be awesome! But no, it seems the 08 does not fit in half shaft wise or anything even drive-shaft with the Getrag, I've been told you have to convert everything and it's around 3500$

I never heard of this free upgrade, if you can find it let me know as currently I have the Mercedes AMG 215MM diff on which is stock for the 08. And I KNOW it is supposed to be dead silent. Taking Chrysler to court over this would just end up making them replace the rear end, and about that....

The dealership would by no means give me this Chrysler engineer\reps name, all they said was to call corporate for further issues. Apparently these reps\engineers don't deal with the "public" aka us owners. Which is a slap in the face considering we all drive our cars 24\7 and I highly doubt every Chrysler engie\rep drives a Challenger daily.
Hot Rod Mag said the following:

’08 And Up Mercedes 215mm
This rearend was used in all ’08 models and ’09-and up 5.7L R/Ts with an auto trans. All had open diffs. OS Giken, Autotech Wavetrac, and Quaife offer limited-slip diffs; Unitrax’s Devin King maintains you can’t find a better diff than a Giken anywhere on the planet. Richmond has ring-and-pinions, so there are more options for this rear than the theoretically stronger 226.

Axles break (anytime the car hooks up): Unitrax and the Driveshaft Shop offer stronger half-shafts that might crutch things through 500 hp . . . then the gears break.

’09 And Up Getrag 226mm
The ’09 and up 5.7L six-speed cars, all ’09 to ’10 6.1L, and the ’11 6.4L have a beefier 226mm Getrag rear with a limited-slip, clutch-style diff. The stock axles aren’t too bad, but stronger aftermarket half-shafts are available from Unitrax and The Driveshaft Shop. Unfortunately, no aftermarket gears are offered.

Limited-slip diff clutch failure (650-750 hp): The limited-slip clutches are weak for competition applications, and no one offers a better diff.

Read more: What Breaks On 2008 To 2011 Dodge's - 6.4L SRT8 HEMI - Hot Rod Magazine Page 2

I know I saw something about an "upgrade" to the Getrag about a year ago for 08 Challenger SRT's. It might have been a Chrysler memo or something. I do not have a link. You may want to check on it to see what the offer was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts