Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to do all of work my vehicles ever need myself because I hate taking it in to dealers. They always seems to come back with other problems than what they went in for. But it really ticks me off when a tech just wants to drive (play) with your vehicle for things like a radio issue. You can request your vehicle not to be test driven, but when they do it anyway or say we always have to test drive our work. What can you really do other than change dealers? Most seem to do the same anyway. Just wondered if others have been in a situation like this and what you've done?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If a dealer's service department is routinely so empty that they have time to go joy-riding, than I'd find another dealer. There are deeper problems there than having time to go joy-riding. The vast majority of techs are on flat-rate hour, which means they get paid by the job, not the hour. It's like being on commission. They want to get your car fixed, get it out of their bay, and move on to the next car. A really good tech in a busy shop can turn 80 hours in a 40 hour week. They don't have time for monkey business.

You can certainly request that your car not be driven for repairs that are not safety related. But a reputable shop will not release your car to you for brakes, suspension, or other safety related repairs without a test drive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no problem with items relating to safety or drivability. It's for those other items like an oil change, radio problems, cracked molding, etc.. Dealers in my area are few and far between so not easy to keep changing them. Luckily don't need to take in much.

·
Registered
154 Posts
do you wait in the waiting room for your repairs? if you do, then tell them up front that no test driving with out you in the pass seat.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
i was nervous when i dropped my car off to get the seats redone (stitches were frayed and pulling out of the seam) but i made sure there was an 1/8 of a tank and when i picked up it was out front and had less than a mile on it. i would try other dealers as not all are the same

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
My pet peeve is the jockey that washes the car even though the service advisor leaves notes on the work order and signs in the car. If they must do that, then how about getting the grease off the shifter and steering wheel while they're at it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
whenever i used to bring my old 5.0 in for service id always find all my belongings thrown to the back of the car...they were beating on it...it happened every time no matter which dealer i went to...

·
Super Moderator
13,951 Posts
Besides telling the service manager about no joy rides, make sure that he records the mileage when you drop it off. Also, tape a note with the mileage to your dashboard.

I have heard horror stories where cars were picked up with 15+ miles on them, and where noticeable burnout evidence (black rubber specks) was on the rear fenders.

The best way to prevent this is to wait for your car.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,119 Posts
I've always kept loose change in the console (in the ashtray when cars had those) and more than once the car comes back minus the 4 or 5 bucks in coins:disgust:
Now I try to empty car of all items sunglasses, change, CD's beforehand.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dropped ours off in the morning for a couple small paint blems and trunk out of alignment. Before I got out of the car I reset the "Top Speed" in the EVIC. After we picked it up the same evening I checked the EVIC........... 89 mph!

:icon_flaming:

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Besides telling the service manager about no joy rides, make sure that he records the mileage when you drop it off. Also, tape a note with the mileage to your dashboard.

I have heard horror stories where cars were picked up with 15+ miles on them, and where noticeable burnout evidence (black rubber specks) was on the rear fenders.

The best way to prevent this is to wait for your car.
+1.

That happened to my buddy Howard with his 2008 #3275. He dropped the car off in the morning and picked it back up after work for a simple recall. He didn't do what you mentioned above, but his Challenger had over 10 miles on the odo when he picked it up. He was pissed! I guess everyone took a test drive that day; the porter, cashier, etc. That was back in the early Fall of '08 when Challengers were not on the road, let alone at dealerships.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ran into this BS a few years back with my Supra. I needed a new power steering rack installed on my 500hp Supra. I worked about 1 min from the dealer and told them I needed to be in the car for any test drives. It had a fully built automatic tranny that I just paid a bunch of money for. I made them sign a document saying this, and I also re-set all of my data logging tools. When I picked up the car it had over 30 miles put on the car and nearly ½ a tank of fuel gone. Data logs showed the boost was turned up to over 25lbs of boost. I had the boost set to 11lbs when I dropped it off. They must have beat the ever living shit out of it to burn that much fuel. Anyway, lets just say I got the work done for free and a warranty on the car. Service manager went crazy and I am pretty sure the guy got fired. Now I just got this challenger and I am freaked out to take her in. My local dealer seems cool, but it just takes one idiot.

Oh, and I had a Titan that needed something small done. Came back with a 6 foot scratch down the side. Paint was hanging off the scratch and the service guy was like “ohhhh did we do that?????”. Idiots.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Dropped ours off in the morning for a couple small paint blems and trunk out of alignment. Before I got out of the car I reset the "Top Speed" in the EVIC. After we picked it up the same evening I checked the EVIC........... 89 mph!

:icon_flaming:

What'd the service manager tell you when you confronted him about it?

Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
I ran into this BS a few years back with my Supra. I needed a new power steering rack installed on my 500hp Supra. I worked about 1 min from the dealer and told them I needed to be in the car for any test drives. It had a fully built automatic tranny that I just paid a bunch of money for. I made them sign a document saying this, and I also re-set all of my data logging tools. When I picked up the car it had over 30 miles put on the car and nearly ½ a tank of fuel gone. Data logs showed the boost was turned up to over 25lbs of boost. I had the boost set to 11lbs when I dropped it off. They must have beat the ever living shit out of it to burn that much fuel. Anyway, lets just say I got the work done for free and a warranty on the car. Service manager went crazy and I am pretty sure the guy got fired. Now I just got this challenger and I am freaked out to take her in. My local dealer seems cool, but it just takes one idiot.

Oh, and I had a Titan that needed something small done. Came back with a 6 foot scratch down the side. Paint was hanging off the scratch and the service guy was like “ohhhh did we do that?????”. Idiots.
Oooh I'd cut a man in half for that. Then make them pay to dry clean my blood soaked clothes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I give them a type-written letter each time specifying what I expect to be done. It's no guarantee but the tone is set and my service writer hands it over to his manager for a read before anything gets done. They or I cover seating surfaces, steering wheel and mats every time. I cannot imagine that much boost and I would be livid to say the least.
These dealers tout themselves as 5-Star dealers and you should expect that kind of service. Ideally, your car should be washed and properly repaired.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My car was flat bedded to the dealer because of an ignition failure. So it did not run when it arrived. When I picked up the car it had an additional 12 miles on it. Why? No test driving needed to be done.
The next time it was there I waited for it, the tech took it out the back and I met him in the middle of the driveway. "Where you going"? "Ahhh, parking the, your car". "Good idea".

Mt Ephraim Dodge in New Jersey, I hated buying from them but the wife wanted THAT car.:fight:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Bought a new 84 Vette at the Chevy dealership in Elgin, Illinois. Brought it in to have the Bose system looked at because the cassette was eating tapes. Jotted down the mileage when I left it. Got back that evening and the odometer had 46 additional miles on the clock. I was pissed. Went into the service dept and firmly talked to the service writer about the 46 miles and he quickly brought the mechanic in that worked on it. The mech said that he needed to test drive it to see if the problem re-occurred. I blew up and said that there is no way that a test drive should ever be 46 miles and also that since it was a problem with the cassette eating tapes that no test drive was neccessary. In any case, the idiot service manager backed the mech. I wrote a letter to the Tribune's action time and CC'd it to the dealership. Never got any response from the dealership. Even though that dealership was minutes from the house, I never bought another car from them again.....and whenever I bought another Chevy from another dealership, I sent a copy of the new cars sales agreement to the owner reminding him of the incident that I had with my Corvette. B-----'S Chevrolet is by far on of the worst....ever.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts