Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good dealer in Phoenix area? My zero bs tolerance makes buying a car almost impossible. lol.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
I have dealt with several. I've always gotten better deals up there. I bought a new 2010 R/T from Chapman in Snottsdale. Deal was good, no problems. A long time ago so things may have changed. I bought a 2012 R/T at Superstion Springs. Bad deal lots of problems after the sale too. I'll never go back. I bought my 2016 at Airpark. Good deal but their pre delivery and window tinters get an "F" from me. So look it over good before you buy there. They even had photos online of a new vehicle with a flat tire that obviously had been driven around. If you have employees who don't notice they're driving on a flat and managers who don't care that it's advertised that way, that says a lot. They also stiffed me on a bird dog fee when I brought them another customer. But again the price was good. If you go there and buy, insist on Westin for your finance guy. He gets an "A+" for speed and lack of hassle. I would be willing to try Larry Miller in Peoria or Avondale since the Larry Miller down here "used" to be good but my last purchase was an ordeal (2015 Ram R/T) and I tried to buy a 2016 Challenger here but they screwed that up so I went to Phoenix. I always search online then contact them online and ask for a quote. My experience is a much better and smoother deal that way then walking on a lot cold. I also read the fine print and stay away from dealers that require you buy aftermarket stuff or dealers who have, as I call it, pre-butcher their cars with aftermarket alarms or ignition disabling devices.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,196 Posts
I have dealt with several. I've always gotten better deals up there. I bought a new 2010 R/T from Chapman in Snottsdale. Deal was good, no problems. A long time ago so things may have changed. I bought a 2012 R/T at Superstion Springs. Bad deal lots of problems after the sale too. I'll never go back. I bought my 2016 at Airpark. Good deal but their pre delivery and window tinters get an "F" from me. So look it over good before you buy there. They even had photos online of a new vehicle with a flat tire that obviously had been driven around. If you have employees who don't notice they're driving on a flat and managers who don't care that it's advertised that way, that says a lot. They also stiffed me on a bird dog fee when I brought them another customer. But again the price was good. If you go there and buy, insist on Westin for your finance guy. He gets an "A+" for speed and lack of hassle. I would be willing to try Larry Miller in Peoria or Avondale since the Larry Miller down here "used" to be good but my last purchase was an ordeal (2015 Ram R/T) and I tried to buy a 2016 Challenger here but they screwed that up so I went to Phoenix. I always search online then contact them online and ask for a quote. My experience is a much better and smoother deal that way then walking on a lot cold. I also read the fine print and stay away from dealers that require you buy aftermarket stuff or dealers who have, as I call it, pre-butcher their cars with aftermarket alarms or ignition disabling devices.
Who was the salesman you dealt with in Tucson? I bought my Shaker there from Dan Caldwell, and had absolutely no problems back in 2014. He has since been kicked upstairs (management). I was looking to buy a second, new R/T from them, but medical issues with my wife have put that on hold for the time being.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had a fairly painless buy from Larry Miller Avondale. Got a really good deal on my SRT in 2014, however the deals don't seem to be nearly as good anymore on the newer models. Management is willing to budge less(even when ordering custom cars). Did a little bit of research for a friend through a contact of mine, and he couldn't get him anywhere near what he got me. During delivery, finance was a bit of a pain, but I stuck to my guns and got what I wanted. Would consider getting another vehicle from them right up until....

I went to Chapman Dodge in Scottsdale seeking information for that same friend, and found the best deal I've seen so far on a custom order T/A 392. I spoke directly with the fleet manager(or some crap). Initially he gave me the run around, being a little vague, maybe he was just feeling me out. Through talking with him, I think he figured out I was no a BS dude and knew what I was talking about and magically the price went down even more(helps that I told him I can get what I want elsewhere through a friend for the same price). Had an invoice sheet right in front of me too, the manager talked me through some of the other information I wasn't totally aware of that was available on the sheet. I felt he was a standup dude after talking with him for 45 minutes, and will definitely seek him out for my next Mopar purchase.

When doing the shopping for my SRT and my friends SRT, Tempe Dodge didn't seem to know jack. Never got a straight answer, employees knew what equates to nothing about the Challenger. Tried to give me a bum deal on my trade in too(offered 5 grand less than what I actually received). I gave them all the information I could about what I was after and I couldn't seem to get an answer that jived with what I knew. I was even told they had what I wanted, except in Phantom Black in the show room, only to get there and it was a Scat Pack. I was a little disappointed because I would have bought it then and there. I'd recommend staying away, and this isn't the first time I've heard of experiences that matched with mine.

Finally we come to Earnhart Dodge. Called them seeking information and was given what I equate to the run around and was unable to get any information that didn't involve "well come down, let's see what we can do to help you out" type answers. A simple yes or no answer on "can you get me below invoice on a custom order", would have probably warranted a visit. All I got was "yes we can custom order". No duh? Waste of time, and I will stay away.

Mileage may vary on some of the dealerships I gave the "poo-poo" to, so you're welcome to see for yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Who was the salesman you dealt with in Tucson? I bought my Shaker there from Dan Caldwell, and had absolutely no problems back in 2014. He has since been kicked upstairs (management). I was looking to buy a second, new R/T from them, but medical issues with my wife have put that on hold for the time being.
The very good salesman I had and did a few deals with was Manny Tellez. No games, no padding the bill. I always emailed him and he would email back the quote with all the discounts. I'd say OK and everything was ready to go when I showed up. He has moved on to Volvo unfortunately. For my 2015 Ram R/T I had a tall older guy with a cowboy hat. I'd have to check my paperwork when I get home for his name. Played me like I was an 18 year old. All the old games from long ago. And after the sale when he saw me in the service dept, he ignored me like he never met me. I talked with Dan on the phone when I sold my 2014 R/T to them and he gave me some line about how my car was just what they wanted and he had a buyer waiting for it. The car sat on their lot for quite a while after I sold it to them so I know that was a standard line to get you in. When I got there he pawned me off on a new kid. I tried to buy my 2016 there. It was inbound and I told yet another new kid salesman to just PDI and don't add dealer add on's. He agreed but I stopped by when he didn't call me by a few days after the car was supposed to be there and it was there with all the add on's installed. I took it for a drive anyway. They dumped yet another new kid on me who didn't know anything about anything and insulted me by texting all through the test drive. The steering wheel was off center and since they damaged my Ram when I brought it in for the same thing after I bought it, I passed on the Challenger there. I knew it would be another ordeal to buy there. Airpark up in Snottsdale had the exact same car and I got it for 3k less then Tucson's marked down price.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The very good salesman I had and did a few deals with was Manny Tellez. No games, no padding the bill. I always emailed him and he would email back the quote with all the discounts. I'd say OK and everything was ready to go when I showed up. He has moved on to Volvo unfortunately. For my 2015 Ram R/T I had a tall older guy with a cowboy hat. I'd have to check my paperwork when I get home for his name. Played me like I was an 18 year old. All the old games from long ago. And after the sale when he saw me in the service dept, he ignored me like he never met me. I talked with Dan on the phone when I sold my 2014 R/T to them and he gave me some line about how my car was just what they wanted and he had a buyer waiting for it. The car sat on their lot for quite a while after I sold it to them so I know that was a standard line to get you in. When I got there he pawned me off on a new kid. I tried to buy my 2016 there. It was inbound and I told yet another new kid salesman to just PDI and don't add dealer add on's. He agreed but I stopped by when he didn't call me by a few days after the car was supposed to be there and it was there with all the add on's installed. I took it for a drive anyway. They dumped yet another new kid on me who didn't know anything about anything and insulted me by texting all through the test drive. The steering wheel was off center and since they damaged my Ram when I brought it in for the same thing after I bought it, I passed on the Challenger there. I knew it would be another ordeal to buy there. Airpark up in Snottsdale had the exact same car and I got it for 3k less then Tucson's marked down price.
Mike Herbst is the salesman I've been talking to at Larry Miller. I was looking at a 2017 Green Go R/T there, but it doesn't have the features I want. Right now they have a new 2016 Go Mango R/T that does have the features I want, but they want too much for it, and I'm not all that fond of the color. I could get it right now if they gave me the price I want so I wouldn't need to bring my wife in. Then I'd be able to forget about having a trade-in for the deal. The thing is, I don't need to buy another Challenger. It's just something I want to do for my wife since she can't drive the 6 speed any more.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Mike Herbst is the salesman I've been talking to at Larry Miller. I was looking at a 2017 Green Go R/T there, but it doesn't have the features I want. Right now they have a new 2016 Go Mango R/T that does have the features I want, but they want too much for it, and I'm not all that fond of the color. I could get it right now if they gave me the price I want so I wouldn't need to bring my wife in. Then I'd be able to forget about having a trade-in for the deal. The thing is, I don't need to buy another Challenger. It's just something I want to do for my wife since she can't drive the 6 speed any more.
Bryan Douglas was the salesman on my 2015 Ram R/T. Yeah, didn't care for his technique at all. Especially the stare down when I said I was leaving. All my other deals with Manny, I was there less than two hours including finance. With my Ram, I was there most of the day and I was so frustrated at the games and dragging everything out that I told him I was done. He then just sat there staring at me for so long that I was just about to get up and get some help because I thought he was having a seizure. But it turns out it's just another mind game. I guess when they do that I'm supposed to feel so bad that my newest best-est friend in the world is disappointed that I don't want to buy a vehicle from him that I'm supposed to change my mind and sign anything. Pathetic. Then Sylvia in finance went on vacation and my package sat. In the past I got my plates within two weeks. This time it was at the six week point and no plates. The temps were expiring. So I had to go down there on a Saturday morning and rattle their cage. Amazingly two days later I had my tags. Too bad they treat repeat customers like that. I had thought I found a dealership to stay with. But nope.

I was looking around online to see what's out there. I was thinking about a 2016 leftover but the active exhaust has me so I'll wait for a 2017. Coincidentally Tucson Dodge has a 2017 Scat equipped the way I want except that it has an auto trans and it's that hideous primer gray. But I'll keep looking for an Octane Scat or T/A . I will probably wait to see what next year looks like color wise. The fact that they painted one a dark green metallic, saw it in a picture with some other Challengers late last year, still trying to find that photo, it leads me to believe they may be looking at that color for 2018. I'd kick myself if I got the Octane and then they had the dark green. If I was 30 years younger I'd go for Green Go. :laugh2:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Bryan Douglas was the salesman on my 2015 Ram R/T. Yeah, didn't care for his technique at all. Especially the stare down when I said I was leaving. All my other deals with Manny, I was there less than two hours including finance. With my Ram, I was there most of the day and I was so frustrated at the games and dragging everything out that I told him I was done. He then just sat there staring at me for so long that I was just about to get up and get some help because I thought he was having a seizure. But it turns out it's just another mind game. I guess when they do that I'm supposed to feel so bad that my newest best-est friend in the world is disappointed that I don't want to buy a vehicle from him that I'm supposed to change my mind and sign anything. Pathetic. Then Sylvia in finance went on vacation and my package sat. In the past I got my plates within two weeks. This time it was at the six week point and no plates. The temps were expiring. So I had to go down there on a Saturday morning and rattle their cage. Amazingly two days later I had my tags. Too bad they treat repeat customers like that. I had thought I found a dealership to stay with. But nope.

I was looking around online to see what's out there. I was thinking about a 2016 leftover but the active exhaust has me so I'll wait for a 2017. Coincidentally Tucson Dodge has a 2017 Scat equipped the way I want except that it has an auto trans and it's that hideous primer gray. But I'll keep looking for an Octane Scat or T/A . I will probably wait to see what next year looks like color wise. The fact that they painted one a dark green metallic, saw it in a picture with some other Challengers late last year, still trying to find that photo, it leads me to believe they may be looking at that color for 2018. I'd kick myself if I got the Octane and then they had the dark green. If I was 30 years younger I'd go for Green Go. :laugh2:
The Octane is an awesome color. They had a Charger there painted in it, but no Challenger when I last visited. Green Go was the color that got me to pay them a visit. They had one on their web site, but it hadn't been delivered, but they did let me know when it arrived. Yeah, it's a much lighter shade of green than it appears in photos, and I'm on the same page as you. A dark metallic green would be the ultimate color.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
The Octane is an awesome color. They had a Charger there painted in it, but no Challenger when I last visited. Green Go was the color that got me to pay them a visit. They had one on their web site, but it hadn't been delivered, but they did let me know when it arrived. Yeah, it's a much lighter shade of green than it appears in photos, and I'm on the same page as you. A dark metallic green would be the ultimate color.
Coincidentally just came from there. I wanted to check out some colors since they're closed. They now have an SRT in Green Go and that stripped R/T is still there. That color is growing on me fast. They had an Octane R/T. I thought the Octane was the same as the 2014 100th Anniv Octane but it's not. This one has far less metallic in it. Don't forget they have a huge inventory overflow across the street by the Hometown Buffet. I had to laugh at their price gouging. They had an SXT blacktop with, of course, stripe delete. You get no credit for stripe delete, but these guys added dual stripes over the top and are charging $999 for aftermarket stripes when you could've had the OEM for nothing. Plus $499 for a $60 window tint job. Plus they're now adding some kind of aftermarket vehicle theft tracking device for more bucks. Nutty. That's the kind of stuff that keeps me away from certain dealers. Like Bill Luke up in Phoenix. They clearly advertise no dealer add on's. They had a Challenger I wanted and so I emailed them and asked about the add on's since when I was up there for the car show I wandered through the showroom and I saw the telltale flickering light below the dash of an aftermarket ignition disabling system. Their reply was that yes they install that but I wouldn't have to buy it. I told them there's still the dealer add on of holes drilled in the dash and spliced to hell wiring harness. No sale. They just don't get it and cannot refrain from screwing up brand new cars for an extra buck. I'd be willing to pay them to leave the thing alone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My two cents on Phoenix dealers. As mentioned stay away from Earnhardt, Autonation, and all Larry Miller dealers. Chapman Dodge (internet sales), Airpark Dodge decent, Bill Luke, and Tempe Dodge.
Know what you want, stock number, and financing already done. I seldom trade, so that would be for a straight up deal.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
My two cents on Phoenix dealers. As mentioned stay away from Earnhardt, Autonation, and all Larry Miller dealers. Chapman Dodge (internet sales), Airpark Dodge decent, Bill Luke, and Tempe Dodge.
Know what you want, stock number, and financing already done. I seldom trade, so that would be for a straight up deal.
I've dealt with Chapman. Straight up deal, good price, good trade value, no problems. Bought my latest from Airpark. Good price and since I claimed it inbound, they acceded to my wishes and didn't add any aftermarket stuff except I did request window tint which was a mistake since they scratched the right door glass, left a razor blade on the floor and didn't reinstall the third brake light cover correctly. Absolutely no after sale contact from them. I had contacts with Bill Luke and Tempe. BL pre-loads aftermarket ignition disabling devices so that's a no go for me. Tempe requires the purchase of aftermarket add on's so their discount price is not so discount. Earnhardt has bad reviews and many complained of also being required to buy thousands in aftermarket stuff so I stayed away from there too. Also when i inquired about a vehicle, they would not stop calling me for a long time. Very annoying so I won't even contact them again. I always do as you. Find what I want and have financing ready, then contact for quotes.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
An update a year after the fact, as you'll see in my signature. I went back to Larry Miller, already knowing what they had on the lot from their web site, and albeit used, I got my wife a Jazz Blue Pearl R/T Plus with all of the features I wanted, and at the price I wanted. It only took me a little over an hour until the deal was completely done with the R/T financed thru my credit union. Chapman in Scottsdale is 3 hours and 200 miles from me, and that's the main reason I didn't go there. BTW, Larry H Miller has never done me wrong.

After the purchase I jumped in my Shaker, and the battery light came on. It was the alternator recall from hell that wasn't announced until a couple of weeks later, and that can be perused at everyone's reading pleasure on other threads here... :surprise:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts