Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so I got my Scatpack Oct 2017. It is my dream car i've wanted for 10 years so I got the extended warranty. I've only bought Dodge all my life. I wanted to install a clear bra/vinyl on it to protect it as long as I could. My installer inspected it and told me to send it back to the Dodge dealership because he noticed a couple manufacturer defects on the paint and varies issues with the trunk and panel alignment. The paint issues had to be addressed because it would effect the vinyl install and may cause future problems. Took it in left it there for week or more. Got a call from Dodge dealership they said they looked through the car and it's perfect. Then they told me they noticed a deep scratch and there was a chip on the front. So then they brought it back to the bodyshop and probably had to sand down more areas of the paint. Week or so later when I got it back there's 3 more problems with the car that I noticed. I feel i've been using rentals for 2 months. I have gone back and forth driving 40 mins one way and i've literally been in 3 different car rentals. I don't have confidence in the bodyshop or the dealership to take care of me anymore. I prefer to have someone I trust take care of the issues. If possible I would like a check for the estimate for the repairs and car rental for the days I will be out of a car. I really prefer not to deal with reoccurring problems I appear to be having with the Dealership/bodyshop.

What would you guys recommend?
Can someone from Dodge Care help me? I don't know their contact.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Need more detail. What are the problems your having with the car? Only paint issues or mechanical issues. I can tell you this, our Challengers/Chargers/300's are all mass produced cars built in a plant that has an outdated paint shop. With that said, they DO a really good job with the paint on these cars but sometimes there are small defects. I've read several horror stories on here and other sites of owners taking their cars back to the dealers to address a small paint blemish only to have the repair turn into a huge mess. The highly metallic/pearl paints that they use in these cars are extremely hard to properly match in a collision shop and a small chip, scratch or blemish on the front fender might very well turn into a complete repaint of the entire side of the car to get a good color match. Some dealer body shops are good and some not so much. On top of that, the dealer has to go back and forth with FCA about warranty reimbursement for what most likely turns out to be a larger repair that at first thought. I guess the it comes down to picking your battles with small paint issues with these cars. Yes the cars are expensive and you expect perfection but you could also sometimes make the problem much worse attempting to fix something most people would never notice. I've owned 3 late model Brampton products ('10 Challenger, '15 Charger, '18 Challenger) and all of them have had small paint defects. Sometimes it's better to just let it ride that way.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more detail. What are the problems your having with the car? Only paint issues or mechanical issues. I can tell you this, our Challengers/Chargers/300's are all mass produced cars built in a plant that has an outdated paint shop. With that said, they DO a really good job with the paint on these cars but sometimes there are small defects. I've read several horror stories on here and other sites of owners taking their cars back to the dealers to address a small paint blemish only to have the repair turn into a huge mess. The highly metallic/pearl paints that they use in these cars are extremely hard to properly match in a collision shop and a small chip, scratch or blemish on the front fender might very well turn into a complete repaint of the entire side of the car to get a good color match. Some dealer body shops are good and some not so much. On top of that, the dealer has to go back and forth with FCA about warranty reimbursement for what most likely turns out to be a larger repair that at first thought. I guess the it comes down to picking your battles with small paint issues with these cars. Yes the cars are expensive and you expect perfection but you could also sometimes make the problem much worse attempting to fix something most people would never notice. I've owned 3 late model Brampton products ('10 Challenger, '15 Charger, '18 Challenger) and all of them have had small paint defects. Sometimes it's better to just let it ride that way.
yeah basically there's a clear coat failure on the bottom of the drivers side and trapped dust on the bottom of the passenger side.

What color is it? Metallics are a ***** to match up and red can be tough too.
I believe the paint is pitch black

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Have you been documenting with photos? Also, never let the shop just "fix it" without knowing exactly what they're doing. Was it just a clear coat buff? I would never, NEVER let a body shop do any paint work on a new factory paint job unless there was real [bad] damage. They will never be able to make it as nice as the factory and it will not hold up. Blended clear coat will not last over time. Ever seen a car with faded clear coat on parts of the car? My father owned a body shop so I do have some real perspective. Every new American car I've bought has had trash in the paint (little bits of dust etc.) and clear coat flaws or runs. Find out exactly what they are doing to your paint and document it. It may be too late now but I wouldn't let them touch it unless it truly was very bad.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you been documenting with photos? Also, never let the shop just "fix it" without knowing exactly what they're doing. Was it just a clear coat buff? I would never, NEVER let a body shop do any paint work on a new factory paint job unless there was real [bad] damage. They will never be able to make it as nice as the factory and I will not hold up. Blended clear coat will not last over time. Ever seen a car with faded clear coat on parts of the car? My father owned a body shop so I do have some real perspective. Every new American car I've bought has had trash in the paint (little bits of dust etc.) and clear coat flaws or runs. Find out exactly what they are doing to your paint and document it. It may be too late now but I wouldn't let them touch it unless it truly was very bad.
I wish I'd known earlier, they already did work on it when I initially brought it in, not sure what exactly. but now they might need to do more work to fix the work they did do and also some damages they caused which required more touching of the original paint. some of which are in areas that weren't there from the start. i wouldn't have minded but my installer felt it would cause issues down the road with the film. Basically he is concerned with the clear coat failure. There's 3 spots where you can see the clear coat. I don't know if it will get worst. I think with the film it might stop it from getting worse. that's the main concern. for the trapped dirt he felt it was way on the bottom that no one will even really notice.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You should have never had them attempt to fix it. Most body shops are incompetent and some car owners have unrealistic expectations. New cars, especially garden variety American cars, like a Dodge, have dirt and texture.

At least one person here has had their car bought back over a paint issue, a very minor paint issue that turned into a disaster.

I'm a professional collision tech. My 18 Scat has a couple of minor panel alignment issues and dirt, here and there. I could fix it all, hell I could crash it into a tree and fix it... But I'm leaving it as the factory intended.

Once you start sanding the clear, you start removing UV protection, and these things don't extra clear to begin with.

I would seriously go after a buy back. I can guarantee that OEM procedures were not followed and it isn't warranty work unless OEM procedures are followed.

If you want it fixed, post your city and state and I will see if any quality shops are in your area.

I will tell you this, if my car is in a serious collision, requiring major structural repair, I'm shipping it from Oregon to New Jersey for repair. Other than myself, that's the only shop I trust.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should have never had them attempt to fix it. Most body shops are incompetent and some car owners have unrealistic expectations. New cars, especially garden variety American cars, like a Dodge, have dirt and texture.

At least one person here has had their car bought back over a paint issue, a very minor paint issue that turned into a disaster.

I'm a professional collision tech. My 18 Scat has a couple of minor panel alignment issues and dirt, here and there. I could fix it all, hell I could crash it into a tree and fix it... But I'm leaving it as the factory intended.

Once you start sanding the clear, you start removing UV protection, and these things don't extra clear to begin with.

I would seriously go after a buy back. I can guarantee that OEM procedures were not followed and it isn't warranty work unless OEM procedures are followed.

If you want it fixed, post your city and state and I will see if any quality shops are in your area.

I will tell you this, if my car is in a serious collision, requiring major structural repair, I'm shipping it from Oregon to New Jersey for repair. Other than myself, that's the only shop I trust.
It's very frustrating. I feel like my car rattles a bit now too don't know if it's a result of them removing parts to paint it. I don't know if they can just cut me a check for how much it would cost to fix it plus rental cost. This isn't scatpack isn't a Demon or a collectable i'm sure but all this trouble and work has devalued my car even more. I was just hoping to protect my car and enjoy it but I just haven't been able to wrap it.

I'm in Irvine, CA btw

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Sorry to hear of your many issues. But like others have already said, some small things are best left untouched.

It sounds to me you were expecting an unrealistic level of perfection on your Challenger. Only thing I can suggest is: relax a little, and you will find there’s much to enjoy in a Challenger.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear of your many issues. But like others have already said, some small things are best left untouched.

It sounds to me you were expecting an unrealistic level of perfection on your Challenger. Only thing I can suggest is: relax a little, and you will find there’s much to enjoy in a Challenger.
just so i know it's not just me. sounds like you all have some issues as well? with paint? panel alignments? rattles? are some rattling noises around the seat/doors normal? i could have sworn it wasn't there when i first got it

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
just so i know it's not just me. sounds like you all have some issues as well? with paint? panel alignments? rattles? are some rattling noises around the seat/doors normal? i could have sworn it wasn't there when i first got it
I am now on my 3rd Challenger: I view panel misalignment as part of owning a Challenger, especially where the trunk lid meets the tail lights. The passenger side tail light on my 2016 Scat Pack is visibly out of alignment. But asking the dealer to fix that is going to be an exercise in futility. I am either going to leave it as-is, or if it bothers me, try to fix it myself.

My 2012 SRT had the exhaust tips misaligned. I was able to fix that fairly easily. Fortunately, Dodge resolved the misaligned exhaust tips with the 2015 redesign.

Thankfully I haven’t had any paint issues.

Yes, I have rattles that I have to address. But again, I have found that asking a dealer to locate and eliminate a rattle is like taking a cat for a walk: it just ain’t going to happen. Part of the issue is that locating a rattle is extremely labor and time-consuming, and FCA doesn’t repay dealers enough for that type of work. So dealers, as busy as they are, just dread having to do it. There is lots of good info on these forums on how to fix rattles.

I have learned to pick my battles with dealers. I am not saying this is right or wrong. Simply that going in expecting them to solve my every issue, no matter how small, only ends in frustration, and gets in the way of enjoying my Challenger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts