Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I thought i'd share a fun experience i'm dealing with at the moment. You may be able to tell from one of my only 3 prior threads, that i purchased a 2017 Dodge Challenger (financed) through a Ford Dealership in PA.
I was in the last month of my Chevy Lease and decided I wanted to get a challenger. So I went to trade it in to a dealership that had one.

Well when I traded in my Chevy Truck (leased) the leasing bank told the dealer the buy out was $21k. When the dealer asked for that figure to be faxed to them, which the bank complied, so they can see if the truck value was upside down or not compared to what Ford was willing to trade. What was presented to me next on the sales floor, was a piece of paper flashed to me briefly stating the buyout was $13k. The salesman seemed confused and said "well good news, the buy out is only 13k and we value your truck at 18k, so we will put that extra $5k towards the down payment of your challenger. Long story short, they drafted the finance for the trade in of the Chevy truck for the Dodge Challenger (through a different bank than the Chevy Lease) and I drove the car off the lot and have now had it for about 20 days.

12 business days later (16 total days after the purchase) the dealer called me back and realized that the buyout on the truck lease was actually $21k, and that I need to either:
a) Come re-sign a new finance deal with the correct buyout on the chevy truck
b) Come re-sign a new finance deal without the truck/trade-in involved.
c) If neither of the above two options are done, this would be "an unpaid balance charge off which would lead into a repossession."

I was in my last month of payment on the Chevy Truck Lease. I called chevy's bank today and they said the dealer no longer wants to buy the truck outright, so the dealer cancelled the check and I will have to make the last payment on the truck, BUT because it's a lease and in the last month of the lease, I am free and clear after that and the bank will simply send it to auction (of which the outcome doesn't affect me). This leasing bank confirmed they faxed over the correct $21k buy-out estimate and they speculated that what the dealer is doing is unlawful as well.So the only remaining stipulation is the dealer threatening me to re-sign a new finance.

I had the dealer send me an email in writing why they think the contract needs to be undone and their only sighted paperwork i signed stating that the truck trade in value was $13k and they are giving me $5k of value into the challenger. However this is all prepared and vetted paperwork by their finance department mind you. So I don't see how they think that holds any water. The rest of the paper work i signed says this deal is memorialized and cannot be undone unless both parties re-sign a deal (which is why they want me to show up to do so).

Anyway, I guess this isn't a short story, but i'm contacting Legal at the moment so I can tell this Ford Dealer to pound sand.

Otherwise if they somehow repo the vehicle, it was nice being a challenger driver for a month. It's a great car =)

==================================
UPDATE BELOW, 4/4/2020:
==================================

CONCLUSION:
Heard back from the dealer and their lawyer informed me and my lawyer the deal/contract has been cancelled and I have 24 hours to return the vehicle or incur a $50/day + 0.50cent per mile fee for every day not returned.

Given my options are:
1) Tell them to **** off, and see them in court and let the judge decide all this (...in forever long that takes from now)
2) Pay the difference of the $5,000-7,000 they are asking for....OR...come in and re-sign a new deal/contract entirely and keep the Challenger.
3) They agreed to the return of the vehicle, unwinding of the deal and my money back and I walk away as if it all never happened.

I have decided to take option 3. I am returning the vehicle ASAP and it was nice having a 'rental car' Challenger for a month or two.
My lawyer was covered from my job, so no fee there thankfully. But my Chevy Truck lease however was already turned in, as that
lease deal ended on 3/31, so I'm carless now. The challenger was a great car!! But I won't be getting another right now lol.

** New update on page 6 of this thread**

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey all, I thought i'd share a fun experience i'm dealing with at the moment. You may be able to tell from one of my only 3 prior threads, that i purchased a new 2017 Dodge Challenger (financed) through a Ford Dealership in PA.
I was in the last month of my Chevy Lease and decided I wanted to get a challenger. So I went to trade it in to a dealership that had one.

Well when I traded in my Chevy Truck (leased) the leasing bank told the dealer the buy out was $21k. When the dealer asked for that figure to be faxed to them, which bank complied, so they can see if the truck value was upside down or not compared to what Ford was willing to trade. What was presented to me next on the sales floor, was a piece of paper stating the buyout was $13k. The salesman seemed confused and said "well good news, the buy out is only 13k and we value your truck at 18k, so we will put that extra $5k towards the down payment of your challenger. Long story short, they drafted the finance for the trade in of the Chevy truck for the Dodge Challenger (through a different bank than the Chevy Lease) and I drove the car off the lot and have now had it for about 20 days.

12 business days later (16 total days after the purchase) the dealer called me back and realized that the buyout on the truck lease was actually $21k, and that I need to either:
a) Come re-sign a new finance deal with the correct buyout on the chevy truck
b) Come re-sign a new finance deal without the truck/trade-in involved.
c) They threatened this would be "an unpaid balance charge off which would lead into a repossession."

I was in my last month of payment on the Chevy Truck Lease. I called chevy's bank today and they said the dealer no longer wants to buy the truck outright, so the dealer cancelled the check and I will have to make the last payment on the truck, BUT because it's a lease and in the last month of the lease, I am free and clear after that and the bank will simply send it to auction (of which the outcome doesn't affect me). This leasing bank confirmed they faxed over the correct $21k buy-out estimate and they speculated that what the dealer is doing is unlawful as well.So the only remaining stipulation is the dealer threatening me to re-sign a new finance.

I had the dealer send me an email in writing why they think the contract needs to be undone and their only sighted paperwork i signed stating that the truck trade in value was $13k and they are giving me $5k of value into the challenger. However this is all prepared and vetted paperwork by their finance department mind you. So I don't see how they think that holds any water. The rest of the paper work i signed says this deal is memorialized and cannot be undone unless both parties re-sign a deal (which is why they want me to show up to do so).

Anyway, I guess this isn't a short story, but i'm contacting Legal at the moment so I can tell this Ford Dealer to pound sand.

Otherwise if they somehow repo the vehicle, it was nice being a challenger driver for a month. It's a great car =)
Sounds strong in your favor, and glad to have you. I bought my Hellcat from a ford dealer lol told them i wasnt paying over 45 for it

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
Dealer is a scumbag but the law is on their side. Go in and refinance or bring the car back, that's really your only options.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Dealer is a scumbag but the law is on their side. Go in and refinance or bring the car back, that's really your only options.

How? if it says the deal can not be undone and is signed?

Can he return the car, what about the loan on it?

If there is no loan as of yet then the car is the dealership's and @BlackenedSVT should NOT do business with them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a new loan finance on the challenger, account number and payments set up for next month. I'm not sure how the dealer is in the right here. Yes they financially ****ed up, but to call me back for a do-over on the finance half a month later doesn't seem legal. I'll see later this week.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I have a new loan finance on the challenger, account number and payments set up for next month. I'm not sure how the dealer is in the right here. Yes they financially ****ed up, but to call me back for a do-over on the finance half a month later doesn't seem legal. I'll see later this week.
You should ask them if the initial loan gets cancelled and they (the dealership or the bank) eats any interest and early pay off fee. Then you should ask them to just lower the selling price the 5K they were going to give you for the truck that you have to make the last payment on now.

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
How? if it says the deal can not be undone and is signed?

Can he return the car, what about the loan on it?

If there is no loan as of yet then the car is the dealership's and @BlackenedSVT should NOT do business with them.
They will say that a mistake was made and we are asking you to come back in and redo the deal. Look at the paperwork carefully and I bet it will say subject to credit or finance approval, this is their out. If that is nowhere in the contract would be your only shot.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
They will say that a mistake was made and we are asking you to come back in and redo the deal. Look at the paperwork carefully and I bet it will say subject to credit or finance approval, this is their out. If that is nowhere in the contract would be your only shot.

If this would ever happen to me would I be able to just give them the car and completely undo the deal?
What if you already plated and registered the car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes there is a 24hr cancellation letter i signed stating if they can't get financing the deal can be cancelled. There is also (from what I understand) a 10-day rule in those same regards. They called me on day 12. If that is the only thing keeping the contract viable, then I think they are out of luck, as they should be. My credit score is 740 and the loan was opened same day.

The car was also plated same day, and the registration was mailed to me last week in my name. Literally the entire deal has been done.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,307 Posts
I’d tell the ass hats to pound sand.....after eating a healthy plate of fish heads.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,549 Posts
Ii's all in the legalese. On the face of it, it would seem the dealership made a costly mistake on legally binding documents...but the law isn't a 1 page story, so...

One thing is always certain, only the lawyers always win...

A Guy

Reactions: trigger657

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,605 Posts

Reactions: trigger657

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
786 Posts
Google up yo-yo financing.

I would return the car and tell them since it is their mistake they are responsible for reimbursing all costs associated - registration & plates, insurance since you drove it off, etc.

Let us know what dealer it is so others can avoid.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
670 Posts
I'm in my 70's so I can remember the days when you made a mistake it was your fault. Now if you make a mistake it is the fault of everyone else. This is really bad if you are a human but great if you are a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,307 Posts
Ii's all in the legalese. On the face of it, it would seem the dealership made a costly mistake on legally binding documents...but the law isn't a 1 page story, so...

One thing is always certain, only the lawyers always win...

A Guy
Although the OP has a 740 credit score, it’s ultimately the discretion of the dealer to “spot deliver” any vehicle.

It’s also the responsibility of the F&I staff to perform their tasks in a timely manner.....without any shenanigans after the sale.

This dealer did nothing timely......and introduced shenanigans after the sale to boot.

I‘d be curious to know what their rating is within their community....particularly with their local BBB.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Google up yo-yo financing.

I would return the car and tell them since it is their mistake they are responsible for reimbursing all costs associated - registration & plates, insurance since you drove it off, etc.

Let us know what dealer it is so others can avoid.
Or so we can all go there and make their life a living Hell!!! :devilish:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Tell them you mean business! Call the law offices of 'Ketchup & Napkin' ! or is that for accidents only?

Anyhoo, some attorney should with you and review your situation before charging you a fee.
Yeah, I think they ( car dealer) made the mistake. They cannot repo the car, you have not broken any contract. That was Bravo Sierra talk.

Who do you send a car payment to ? Have you made a payment yet ? That could solidify the contract for sure. ( even though they wouldn't let you out of anything if you asked them to hep you, 20 days later)
Does your company that you work for have a benefits where you get legal counsel for reduced rates and can talk with a lawyer for free consult?
My wife has that through her employer, its a good benefit.
I think you are in a strong position, these dealers always try to have boilerplate contract paperwork, so its in there best interest to have someone review. If they didn't do their due diligence, looking everything over, that's on them.
I don't know how they can come back on you.
They basically want to redo the whole deal, so they know they messed up and hope you will come in and re-negotiate the deal , IN their favor this time !
Don't agree to anything, till you consult with an attorney. You may have to call a couple, three, before you find one that would consult with you ,for free or $20 .
Good luck, stand your ground
parrott

·
Banned
155 Posts
Well, I may be a minority here but what is the "right" thing to do? You presented a document with the incorrect payoff on your truck and the dealer choose to believe you. I am sure you explained to them the payoff was correct. The bottom line is you were wrong and because they trusted you, they lost money on the deal. They made a mistake trusting you and also not trusting the leasing company but the bottom line is your payout was $21,000.00 not $13,000.00. That's your financial responsibility, not theirs. Taking the point of view that they get screwed due to your financial dealings is just wrong. It doesn't matter if it's a company or a family member. Right is right. I am no lawyer but I would guess that you providing the incorrect payoff to them will be a problem for you. I am sure you signed documents stating that everything on the new contract was correct. It wasn't.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts