833 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
441 Posts

·
Banned
155 Posts
The dealer gave the OP the $13K buyout figure.
I see, that would change some things from a legal standpoint maybe. There still may be wording in the new contract that the amount due on the Challenger is based on all information in the contract being correct. To me, I do not separate the legal issues from the moral issues. Just because the dealer made a mistake doesn't override the financial responsibility of the buyer. People need to take responsibility for their actions.
Years ago I bought some electronics at a store. While driving home I realized they charged me $100's too little. I turned around and went back and paid the difference. Not because I legally had to, because it was the right thing to do.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
441 Posts
I see, that would change some things from a legal standpoint maybe. There still may be wording in the new contract that the amount due on the Challenger is based on all information in the contract being correct. To me, I do not separate the legal issues from the moral issues. Just because the dealer made a mistake doesn't override the financial responsibility of the buyer. People need to take responsibility for their actions.
OH, I'm BIG on "doing the right thing." Karma is a biotch ---- and I wouldn't want to even date her.

This mess is completely the dealership's doing. So, I think it would all depend on how the dealer approached me. If they showed a little humility and perhaps offered to meet in the middle, then I'd go along. But if they're trying to strong-arm the situation, then I might make their life difficult.

Dealers are not above playing games when it's to their benefit. We traded a '13 Charger R/T when I bought my '15 Challenger SRT in December of 2017. We still owed about $2K on the Charger and the dealership took the responsibility of paying it off. Imagine my surprise when the credit union reached out to me in early March looking for the January and February payments. The dealer hadn't paid off the loan and started doing a lot of "dancing" about why it hadn't been paid. The dealer finally paid off the loan in late March and agreed to send me a letter to submit to the credit reporting entities that the late payments were not my fault.

·
Banned
155 Posts
I see your point. I think it's a big mistake to get lawyers or a repro agency involved. The buyer should have a sit down with the management at the dealership. And everyone should acknowledge that a mistake was made and there should be a give and take to reach a settlement in the middle. Repossessing the car or getting layers involved is a bad plan for both.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Well, I may be a minority here but what is the "right" thing to do? You presented a document with the incorrect payoff on your truck and the dealer choose to believe you. I am sure you explained to them the payoff was correct. The bottom line is you were wrong and because they trusted you, they lost money on the deal. They made a mistake trusting you and also not trusting the leasing company but the bottom line is your payout was $21,000.00 not $13,000.00. That's your financial responsibility, not theirs. Taking the point of view that they get screwed due to your financial dealings is just wrong. It doesn't matter if it's a company or a family member. Right is right. I am no lawyer but I would guess that you providing the incorrect payoff to them will be a problem for you. I am sure you signed documents stating that everything on the new contract was correct. It wasn't.
From the OP, "Well when I traded in my Chevy Truck (leased) the leasing bank told the dealer the buy out was $21k. When the dealer asked for that figure to be faxed to them, which the bank complied, so they can see if the truck value was upside down or not compared to what Ford was willing to trade. What was presented to me next on the sales floor, was a piece of paper flashed to me briefly stating the buyout was $13k. The salesman seemed confused and said "well good news, the buy out is only 13k and we value your truck at 18k, so we will put that extra $5k towards the down payment of your challenger."

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I want to see what becomes of this. The OP should not be out the 5k, maybe the dealership is going to lower the selling price of the car 5K, that would help with sales tax and would not affect the loan.

·
Banned
155 Posts
From the OP, "Well when I traded in my Chevy Truck (leased) the leasing bank told the dealer the buy out was $21k. When the dealer asked for that figure to be faxed to them, which the bank complied, so they can see if the truck value was upside down or not compared to what Ford was willing to trade. What was presented to me next on the sales floor, was a piece of paper flashed to me briefly stating the buyout was $13k. The salesman seemed confused and said "well good news, the buy out is only 13k and we value your truck at 18k, so we will put that extra $5k towards the down payment of your challenger."
That was already discussed and resolved in the previous posts. My points are the same.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
177 Posts
Dealer is a scumbag but the law is on their side. Go in and refinance or bring the car back, that's really your only options.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No it isnt. They messed up, screw them. They rake over plenty of people who dont know their tactics. This isnt going to break them lol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a new loan finance on the challenger, account number and payments set up for next month. I'm not sure how the dealer is in the right here. Yes they financially ****ed up, but to call me back for a do-over on the finance half a month later doesn't seem legal. I'll see later this week.
Keep us posted, ill like to see how it plays out.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Doing the "right thing" is fine. IMO, legal representation is a must, as I'm sure that this dealer will do or say whatever, based on what their legal team tells them to do.

Without legal representation, the OP will get "gutted", just like a dealer will do on any sale, if possible, to anyone.

A lawyer will be able to sort through the particulars, review the timeline of events, and based on the laws, guide the OP correctly.

I like doing the right thing too. Just how I am.

That said, if someone comes at me swinging, like this dealer has done to the OP, and my lawyer tells me that legally the dealer blew it, I would do the right thing for this situation............tell the dealer to go pack sand, and pack it tightly.

Again, I like doing the right thing, but in a situation like the OP's, the dealer started out hostile, and I'll act the same.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry but they wouldnt and dont do the right thing by us so why should he go back? hey will survive this and screw someone else and probably already have.

·
Banned
155 Posts
Doing the "right thing" is fine. IMO, legal representation is a must, as I'm sure that this dealer will do or say whatever, based on what their legal team tells them to do.

Without legal representation, the OP will get "gutted", just like a dealer will do on any sale, if possible, to anyone.

A lawyer will be able to sort through the particulars, review the timeline of events, and based on the laws, guide the OP correctly.

I like doing the right thing too. Just how I am.

That said, if someone comes at me swinging, like this dealer has done to the OP, and my lawyer tells me that legally the dealer blew it, I would do the right thing for this situation............tell the dealer to go pack sand, and pack it tightly.

Again, I like doing the right thing, but in a situation like the OP's, the dealer started out hostile, and I'll act the same.
Bad advice. You will be giving to the lawyers what you owe to the dealership. You lose, you pay both. You win, you pay the lawyer what you could have easily negotiated on your own.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Yea, screw the big company. What if this was a small mom and pop shop? Screw them also or change your ethicals based on the situation?
He negotiated a deal, he signed a deal, now they want to come back and alter it. The bank he has a loan with is NOT going to cut him any slack. I work in the construction trade and when we give a bid and get awarded a job we can not just act for an extra because the estimator missed something in the specs or on the plans. Same thing when I do design build, if the Architect changes something that adds to our scope of work, I have to catch it when laying out our design drawings so the owner is aware.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yea, screw the big company. What if this was a small mom and pop shop? Screw them also or change your ethicals based on the situation?
But it isnt and we know it so why even mention that? I have worked for a car dealer before, trust me, this wont hurt them one bit and if YOU make a mistake, they will capitilize on it.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Bad advice. You will be giving to the lawyers what you owe to the dealership. You loose, you pay both. You win, you pay the lawyer what you could have easily negotiated on your own.
Not at all. The lawyer tells you where you stand by the laws.

The OP, or the lawyer for the OP, contacts the dealer and states, here's the law, and if this has to move forward, here's what you will pay the OP for additional expenses.

Now before you say more bad advice, there's the whole picture to look at.

The law may be on the OP's side, in which case, the OP can do what he feels is right, as far as paying them or telling them to stuff it.

Now if the law is on the dealers side, the OP's lawyer can keep him from getting run over by the dealership, which they will probably do, as they started this out with threatening a repop.

The lawyer knows the law, so does the dealership lawyers.

We're at a time that lawyers are needed, because average folks don't know the law, can't interpret the law, and need sound legal advice to protect themslves.

The dealer messed up it appears, and threatened the OP with a repop. Is this lawfull or not in his case and State?

Good advice. The OP needs legal guidance to correctly move foward.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts