Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't read all 58 posts, however, has the dealer offered to compromise here at all, or are they still using the same trade-in amount - regardless of what the actual payoff was? I'd ask how much money they made/lost on the deal, and you probably won't get that w/out getting legal counsel involved. Most dealers try to make about $10K on a trade-in for a new car. They try to make about $4K on the front end, and about $6K on the flip. This is absurd, and the moniker "stealership" is certainly well deserved.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,234 Posts
Talk to some lawyers, to see whether (1) you have solid legal ground (should be determined in free initial consultation) and (2) what they would charge to represent you through the end of this issue.

If you have solid legal ground, and are willing to pay the cost to fight it, fight it. If you have grounds, but don't like the cost to fight it, then use the solid ground as leverage to negotiate with dealer (e.g. "what is it worth to you for me to cooperate").

If neither (1) nor (2) are acceptable to you, (and in any event) pay the last month's pmt on the Chevy lease to stay clean with them, then return the Challenger and refuse to refinance, and find one at a more honest dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stick to your guns. By the way, I have a 2017 Hellcat, Yellow Jacket , black hood, 17K miles going up for sale shortly. New tires a week ago. 610-742-6387 if interested. Love the car, but I have a Go Mango Hellcat coming shortly. Thanks and good luck!

Correction. 610.742.5387. Sorry, can't type today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got to chime in on this one as it stinks to high heaven...
First, I am not a lawyer, but I did take a course in business contract law in college (and aced it). I believe this would be a slam dunk (in your favor) for any lawyer worth his salt. You have a signed contract - signed by you and signed by the dealership. The part that legitimizes it is that there is also consideration, which is payment in exchange for the product. Everything was in agreement at the time of the exchange and everyone serviced the contract just as they should have. The dealer accepted the money from the bank correct? Unless I am mistaken, the contract is now engraved in stone and passed down from Mt. Sinai. The same mechanisms which force you to make your car payments also require the dealer to honor his end of the deal. He wants to repossess? If they try it, call the police. I believe the term for that is Wrongful Repossession, or more bluntly "Grand Theft Auto." Someone else correctly mentioned that any repo situation will be between you and the bank, as the car is now collateral for the loan (another contract) that you signed with them. I can appreciate that the dealer messed up the numbers and are now trying to pull a fast one to recover. Ignore them. If they call to hassle you, just tell them to do whatever they think they need to do and let them know you have retained counsel. The dealer will be fully aware that A) they will lose, and B) they will likely be paying your legal expenses, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't read all 58 posts, however, has the dealer offered to compromise here at all, or are they still using the same trade-in amount - regardless of what the actual payoff was? I'd ask how much money they made/lost on the deal, and you probably won't get that w/out getting legal counsel involved. Most dealers try to make about $10K on a trade-in for a new car. They try to make about $4K on the front end, and about $6K on the flip. This is absurd, and the moniker "stealership" is certainly well deserved.
I would offer for them to rewrite the deal...”heavily” in your favor or talk to your lawyer. They don’t call to redo a deal when they rip off customers...simply say, “you signed the paperwork.” The dealership probably didn’t “make” any money, but certainly didn’t lose any money. Is, the salesman and finance guy may not get anything, but the dealership will be fine! It’s kinda like when we don’t really know the ropes of buying and trading cars and go into a dealership and get taken to school...we learn from it. Let them learn a lesson! Keep the Dodge...make your 1st payment. They will waste money...more then 5K for legal advice or actions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had something very similar happen to me when I purchased my first Wrangler from a CDJR dealership. Just like you, it was nearly a month after I took delivery that they sent me a FedEx overnight envelope with all new, updated contracts, etc., with no explanation other than I needed to sign and return them in the prepaid overnight FexEx envelope they included. Noticing the "new" contracts clearly had different terms than the original, I called and expressed my disdain that they sent me this without so much as a phone call or email. I told them I do not agree to the new terms as none of that was discussed or agreed to before delivery. They threatened that if I didn't sign and return the new paperwork ASAP, they would be left with no choice but to repossess my Jeep. The Jeep was now titled and registered to me. I advised them that they absolutely have another option and that was to eat the loss and learn from their mistake.

They continued for a few days with threats of repossession. I advised them that their threats and strong arm attempts to coerce me out of get to sign an agreement o do not "agree" with constitutes the crime of harassment and if they felt they had a valid civil case, they could sue me. Needless to say they changed their tune. The threats stopped and ultimately because I'm not a total d1ck, I split the difference with them. I still came out on too.

A couple things happened because of this ordeal. We became froend with the owner and GM of the dealership. My wife and I bought a total of three Jeeps from this dealer (two after this incident) and after I retired from being a cop, I went to work selling CDJR at that dealership.

To me, it sounds like you're in the right. If they try to repossess the car, I'd call the police. They would be turning a civil matter (that they might a leg to stand on) into a criminal matter (grand larceny of a vehicle, that they most likely would be in the wrong for).

It clearly sounds like they f"ed up. I'd try to work with them to come to some amicable resolution. Like a lifetime warranty (no deductible) which would be worth about $3,500. Or the warranty and you split the amount in dispute three ways (you / the idiot dealer employee who authorized the deal / and the dealership). Seems reasonable to me...

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey all, I thought i'd share a fun experience i'm dealing with at the moment. You may be able to tell from one of my only 3 prior threads, that i purchased a new 2017 Dodge Challenger (financed) through a Ford Dealership in PA.
I was in the last month of my Chevy Lease and decided I wanted to get a challenger. So I went to trade it in to a dealership that had one.

Well when I traded in my Chevy Truck (leased) the leasing bank told the dealer the buy out was $21k. When the dealer asked for that figure to be faxed to them, which the bank complied, so they can see if the truck value was upside down or not compared to what Ford was willing to trade. What was presented to me next on the sales floor, was a piece of paper flashed to me briefly stating the buyout was $13k. The salesman seemed confused and said "well good news, the buy out is only 13k and we value your truck at 18k, so we will put that extra $5k towards the down payment of your challenger. Long story short, they drafted the finance for the trade in of the Chevy truck for the Dodge Challenger (through a different bank than the Chevy Lease) and I drove the car off the lot and have now had it for about 20 days.

12 business days later (16 total days after the purchase) the dealer called me back and realized that the buyout on the truck lease was actually $21k, and that I need to either:
a) Come re-sign a new finance deal with the correct buyout on the chevy truck
b) Come re-sign a new finance deal without the truck/trade-in involved.
c) If neither of the above two options are done, this would be "an unpaid balance charge off which would lead into a repossession."

I was in my last month of payment on the Chevy Truck Lease. I called chevy's bank today and they said the dealer no longer wants to buy the truck outright, so the dealer cancelled the check and I will have to make the last payment on the truck, BUT because it's a lease and in the last month of the lease, I am free and clear after that and the bank will simply send it to auction (of which the outcome doesn't affect me). This leasing bank confirmed they faxed over the correct $21k buy-out estimate and they speculated that what the dealer is doing is unlawful as well.So the only remaining stipulation is the dealer threatening me to re-sign a new finance.

I had the dealer send me an email in writing why they think the contract needs to be undone and their only sighted paperwork i signed stating that the truck trade in value was $13k and they are giving me $5k of value into the challenger. However this is all prepared and vetted paperwork by their finance department mind you. So I don't see how they think that holds any water. The rest of the paper work i signed says this deal is memorialized and cannot be undone unless both parties re-sign a deal (which is why they want me to show up to do so).

Anyway, I guess this isn't a short story, but i'm contacting Legal at the moment so I can tell this Ford Dealer to pound sand.

Otherwise if they somehow repo the vehicle, it was nice being a challenger driver for a month. It's a great car =)
You owe them nothing. All errors are on there part. The current signed documents are legal and binding. You have no obligation to return the car or return to sign a new contract. Do you really think they would have called you if it was an error in there favor? Absolutely not.... they would have told you , you signed the contract. Works both ways, they prepared and signed the contract. Anyone telling you to go back is wrong. If the dealer is foolish enough to send anyone to get the car they would make themselves liable for criminal charges to include possession of stolen property and grand larceny. They would also be liable for damages and any expenses you incur while retrieving your vehicle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
3 words here after reading all of this.......breach of contract........on the dealer's part if they try to pursue any repo of your new rig. Suable offense especially if they are outside the 10 day window mentioned earlier.
Tell them to eat their loss and learn from their mistake, and I'd bet the dummy dealership employee who did the deal in the first place gets canned over it.
This is why I call them "stealerships".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealer is a scumbag but the law is on their side. Go in and refinance or bring the car back, that's really your only options.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I haven't even read the rest of this thread but the dealership should be screwed not the buyer. This happened to me in '08 when I bought my 350z. The dealership messed up on the number and it cost them 8k. We signed and 10 days later they threatened to repo if I wouldn't resign new docs. It was all a scare tactic. I called my attorney and he laughed. We didn't even send them anything to contest their statements. Just went about life business as usual.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
3 words here after reading all of this.......breach of contract........on the dealer's part if they try to pursue any repo of your new rig. Suable offense especially if they are outside the 10 day window mentioned earlier.
Tell them to eat their loss and learn from their mistake, and I'd bet the dummy dealership employee who did the deal in the first place gets canned over it.
This is why I call them "stealerships".
Maybe the clowns that own the leased truck made a mistake and faxed over the wrong buy out.... Maybe they should be forced to eat their loss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I may be a minority here but what is the "right" thing to do? You presented a document with the incorrect payoff on your truck and the dealer choose to believe you. I am sure you explained to them the payoff was correct. The bottom line is you were wrong and because they trusted you, they lost money on the deal. They made a mistake trusting you and also not trusting the leasing company but the bottom line is your payout was $21,000.00 not $13,000.00. That's your financial responsibility, not theirs. Taking the point of view that they get screwed due to your financial dealings is just wrong. It doesn't matter if it's a company or a family member. Right is right. I am no lawyer but I would guess that you providing the incorrect payoff to them will be a problem for you. I am sure you signed documents stating that everything on the new contract was correct. It wasn't.
I think you misread, the dealership called the Chevy lease company and was given the correct figure. It wasn't OP That gave them any figures. The dealership themselves messed up. So if that's the case do you still think he should go back?? What's right is right and OP shouldn't be penalized if it was their mistake. That's a breach of contract. They're trading in bad faith, not OP. If it was the way you originally interpreted, then yeah I would agree with you.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I think you misread, the dealership called the Chevy lease company and was given the correct figure. It wasn't OP That gave them any figures. The dealership themselves messed up. So if that's the case do you still think he should go back?? What's right is right and OP shouldn't be penalized if it was their mistake. That's a breach of contract. They're trading in bad faith, not OP. If it was the way you originally interpreted, then yeah I would agree with you.
We sorted that all out already with Mr. A$$BlasterMaster.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe the clowns that own the leased truck made a mistake and faxed over the wrong buy out.... Maybe they should be forced to eat their loss.
That could also be a very real possibility, if the OP has to go to court, then their people could get subpoenaed to testify as well, and all paperwork for the lease subpoenaed as well(unless it mysteriously got "lost"....). I think he mentioned that they(lease company) had sent him a copy of the payoff for the truck.
Bottom line, I think most of us are in agreement here that the OP is in the clear as far as contract law, etc. It was not his fault that the dealer and lease company were that inept so as to allow this kind of BS to occur. Hope the best for all this mess.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hope you win OP, screw the dealership. Everyone talking about “doing the right thing” is living in the 60’s still. There’s no such thing as “the right/kind/courteous/moral/understanding thing,” these days. Everyone is a me first person and is out for their best interests, look at all the morons buying every last scrap of food/TP/medicine etc they can buy so they can hoard it to themselves.

If the dealership slipped in an extra 5K on the numbers in their favor you would get, “you signed the contract!”

As someone who has frequently been screwed over by people with lines like that, screw them. You’re 1 mistake out of the thousands of deals they take advantage of people on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all, I thought i'd share a fun experience i'm dealing with at the moment. You may be able to tell from one of my only 3 prior threads, that i purchased a new 2017 Dodge Challenger (financed) through a Ford Dealership in PA.
I was in the last month of my Chevy Lease and decided I wanted to get a challenger. So I went to trade it in to a dealership that had one.

Well when I traded in my Chevy Truck (leased) the leasing bank told the dealer the buy out was $21k. When the dealer asked for that figure to be faxed to them, which the bank complied, so they can see if the truck value was upside down or not compared to what Ford was willing to trade. What was presented to me next on the sales floor, was a piece of paper flashed to me briefly stating the buyout was $13k. The salesman seemed confused and said "well good news, the buy out is only 13k and we value your truck at 18k, so we will put that extra $5k towards the down payment of your challenger. Long story short, they drafted the finance for the trade in of the Chevy truck for the Dodge Challenger (through a different bank than the Chevy Lease) and I drove the car off the lot and have now had it for about 20 days.

12 business days later (16 total days after the purchase) the dealer called me back and realized that the buyout on the truck lease was actually $21k, and that I need to either:
a) Come re-sign a new finance deal with the correct buyout on the chevy truck
b) Come re-sign a new finance deal without the truck/trade-in involved.
c) If neither of the above two options are done, this would be "an unpaid balance charge off which would lead into a repossession."

I was in my last month of payment on the Chevy Truck Lease. I called chevy's bank today and they said the dealer no longer wants to buy the truck outright, so the dealer cancelled the check and I will have to make the last payment on the truck, BUT because it's a lease and in the last month of the lease, I am free and clear after that and the bank will simply send it to auction (of which the outcome doesn't affect me). This leasing bank confirmed they faxed over the correct $21k buy-out estimate and they speculated that what the dealer is doing is unlawful as well.So the only remaining stipulation is the dealer threatening me to re-sign a new finance.

I had the dealer send me an email in writing why they think the contract needs to be undone and their only sighted paperwork i signed stating that the truck trade in value was $13k and they are giving me $5k of value into the challenger. However this is all prepared and vetted paperwork by their finance department mind you. So I don't see how they think that holds any water. The rest of the paper work i signed says this deal is memorialized and cannot be undone unless both parties re-sign a deal (which is why they want me to show up to do so).

Anyway, I guess this isn't a short story, but i'm contacting Legal at the moment so I can tell this Ford Dealer to pound sand.

Otherwise if they somehow repo the vehicle, it was nice being a challenger driver for a month. It's a great car =)
Right or wrong, I don't have very much sympathy for dealerships so let us know the results.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
284 Posts
I think it would be worth thinking if there are any other services that they could use to offset this amount for you if this was redone.

Their mistake is probably going to show an internal negative somewhere which will Flame someone responsible for it.l (which they would like to avoid)

Not sure if they would go for it or not but maybe there are some additional options, accessories, oil changes, Etc that you might be interested in as a counter offer to redo the contract.

What made me think of this is years ago in the mid-90s I owned an all wheel drive extended length Aerostar minivan.

Someone ran into the back of me and their insurance paid for the body shop repairs to be done at a Ford dealership.

When I went to pick it up after the repairs, I noticed that the insides of my side and rear windows had been pitted resulting from someone welding near them that did not remove or protect them.
Ironically, this was caused when they were doing some welding for the rear bumper and associated framing structures back there. Once they got to the sides to fix where the panels had buckled, they then removed all of these windows anyway. (After the damage).

They would have had to replace the two long side windows and the rear hatch window to correct this.

They said if they actually did that, it would basically put that job in the red.

I worked out a deal with them that they traded me the same amount in future body work.

I ended up customizing quite a few things on that vehicle and having them paint absolutely everything to match.

It became my "Battle Wagon".
Basically a covered AWD truck.

Good luck on whatever comes out of this!

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
284 Posts
Just my 2 cent question.........
Would the dealership want that car back?
It has been registered, so if they get it back, it is now a used car and can't get top $$$ for it. :unsure:
Very good point. So if this was all going to be redone, it is now a used car and how would that change the value of it?

I would see what the Blue Book value is at the current mileage compared to your paid price.

If you redo the deal, could you then re-purchase it at that new reduced price since it is no longer new?

If everything gets "voided" and they have the car back, they would be selling as used to the next guy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very good point. So if this was all going to be redone, it is now a used car and how would that change the value of it?

I would see what the Blue Book value is at the current mileage compared to your paid price.

If you redo the deal, could you then re-purchase it at that new reduced price since it is no longer new?

If everything gets "voided" and they have the car back, they would be selling as used to the next guy.
It was not new. OP said in another thread it had 30k miles on it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Owed $21K......payoff 13K.........that's 8K difference.........5K more trade in?????? But the real question here............. Who ended up with the Chevy truck?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't think about the FAT CATS; think about the poor salesman not getting any commision on the deal, he prob has kids to feed and rent to pay...

Truth is, not sure what I would do either, but if I did go back they would have to give me at least an additional $1000 - $2000 off just because, I'm sure you shopped around so you'd still be getting an even better deal than you would have if they didn't mess up. You can start with telling them to go after the Chevy dealer that gave them the wrong payoff, that they are responsible. A couple of thousand isn't worth my time in court especially with no guarantee you will win and knowing you are guilty because you really did owe that. Now if principle was involved than yes I would take it to the courts, but there is no principle involved, I'm sure the deal was good, they just made a mistake

61 - 80 of 111 Posts