Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

Registered
Joined
887 Posts
A signed contract is binding unless someone knowingly lied. If the dealer made the mistake they should take the hit. Maybe the deal never would have happened if it was presented correctly? From what I see the screw up is from GM financial. They sent the wrong info. Let them take part of the hit.
 

Registered
Joined
13 Posts
I don't think so trigger657, in the original thread, it looks like he told them 21k...the dealership ordered a payoff statement from the bank while he waited, but when the salesman brought the paperwork back to him, they told him the payoff was only 13k...drafted the deal and later realized that somewhere in the haste of completing the deal, they came up with 13k...instead of 21k and wanted him to come up with the difference. Am I missing something?
 

Registered
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Joined
1 Posts
This is why I don't buy from dealers and don't buy cars I can't pay cash for.

That said, I love my 2009 Challenger SRT8 with 49,800 miles on it.
 

Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
Joined
177 Posts
This is why I don't buy from dealers and don't buy cars I can't pay cash for.

That said, I love my 2009 Challenger SRT8 with 49,800 miles on it.
Thats cool you can do that but this instance is rare. Its certainly never happened to me. In a day and age where everything is on computer, its amazing how many screw ups we still have with everything.
 

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
Joined
15,728 Posts
Besides, all the repo men are on lockdown...

A Guy
 

Registered
Joined
5,493 Posts
Hey all, I thought i'd share a fun experience i'm dealing with at the moment. You may be able to tell from one of my only 3 prior threads, that i purchased a new 2017 Dodge Challenger (financed) through a Ford Dealership in PA.
I was in the last month of my Chevy Lease and decided I wanted to get a challenger. So I went to trade it in to a dealership that had one.

Well when I traded in my Chevy Truck (leased) the leasing bank told the dealer the buy out was $21k. When the dealer asked for that figure to be faxed to them, which the bank complied, so they can see if the truck value was upside down or not compared to what Ford was willing to trade. What was presented to me next on the sales floor, was a piece of paper flashed to me briefly stating the buyout was $13k. The salesman seemed confused and said "well good news, the buy out is only 13k and we value your truck at 18k, so we will put that extra $5k towards the down payment of your challenger. Long story short, they drafted the finance for the trade in of the Chevy truck for the Dodge Challenger (through a different bank than the Chevy Lease) and I drove the car off the lot and have now had it for about 20 days.

12 business days later (16 total days after the purchase) the dealer called me back and realized that the buyout on the truck lease was actually $21k, and that I need to either:
a) Come re-sign a new finance deal with the correct buyout on the chevy truck
b) Come re-sign a new finance deal without the truck/trade-in involved.
c) If neither of the above two options are done, this would be "an unpaid balance charge off which would lead into a repossession."

I was in my last month of payment on the Chevy Truck Lease. I called chevy's bank today and they said the dealer no longer wants to buy the truck outright, so the dealer cancelled the check and I will have to make the last payment on the truck, BUT because it's a lease and in the last month of the lease, I am free and clear after that and the bank will simply send it to auction (of which the outcome doesn't affect me). This leasing bank confirmed they faxed over the correct $21k buy-out estimate and they speculated that what the dealer is doing is unlawful as well.So the only remaining stipulation is the dealer threatening me to re-sign a new finance.

I had the dealer send me an email in writing why they think the contract needs to be undone and their only sighted paperwork i signed stating that the truck trade in value was $13k and they are giving me $5k of value into the challenger. However this is all prepared and vetted paperwork by their finance department mind you. So I don't see how they think that holds any water. The rest of the paper work i signed says this deal is memorialized and cannot be undone unless both parties re-sign a deal (which is why they want me to show up to do so).

Anyway, I guess this isn't a short story, but i'm contacting Legal at the moment so I can tell this Ford Dealer to pound sand.

Otherwise if they somehow repo the vehicle, it was nice being a challenger driver for a month. It's a great car =)
Any further updates?
 

Registered
Joined
887 Posts
Doesn鈥檛 anyone watch Judge Judy!? Any and everything inside the walls of that singed contract is binding. I really hope this gets sorted out for you. You should be enjoying you new car not stressing out over this.
 

Registered
Joined
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
CONCLUSION:
Heard back from the dealer and their lawyer informed me and my lawyer the deal/contract has been cancelled and I have 24 hours to return the vehicle or incur a $50/day + 0.50cent per mile fee for every day not returned.

Given my options are:
1) Tell them to **** off, and see them in court and let the judge decide all this (...in forever long that takes from now)
2) Pay the difference of the $5,000-7,000 they are asking for....OR...come in and re-sign a new deal/contract entirely and keep the Challenger.
3) They agreed to the return of the vehicle, unwinding of the deal and my money back and I walk away as if it all never happened.

I have decided to take option 3. I am returning the vehicle ASAP and it was nice having a 'rental car' Challenger for a month or two.
My lawyer was covered from my job, so no fee there thankfully. But my Chevy Truck lease however was already turned in, as that
lease deal ended on 3/31, so I'm carless now. The challenger was a great car!! But I won't be getting another right now lol.

What a disaster. Hope you all have enjoyed this read at least!
 

Registered
Joined
1,014 Posts
You made the right decision IMO. Don't let the experience sour you on Dodge. Now is a great time to buy, dealers are hungry!!
 

Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
Joined
441 Posts
CONCLUSION:
Heard back from the dealer and their lawyer informed me and my lawyer the deal/contract has been cancelled and I have 24 hours to return the vehicle or incur a $50/day + 0.50cent per mile fee for every day not returned.

Given my options are:
1) Tell them to **** off, and see them in court and let the judge decide all this (...in forever long that takes from now)
2) Pay the difference of the $5,000-7,000 they are asking for....OR...come in and re-sign a new deal/contract entirely and keep the Challenger.
3) They agreed to the return of the vehicle, unwinding of the deal and my money back and I walk away as if it all never happened.

I have decided to take option 3. I am returning the vehicle ASAP and it was nice having a 'rental car' Challenger for a month or two.
My lawyer was covered from my job, so no fee there thankfully. But my Chevy Truck lease however was already turned in, as that
lease deal ended on 3/31, so I'm carless now. The challenger was a great car!! But I won't be getting another right now lol.

What a disaster. Hope you all have enjoyed this read at least!

I think you made the right decision. There's always another dealer should you decide you want a Challenger down the road.

Thank you for sharing your experience. There are some lessons in there for all of us to learn from.
 

Registered
Joined
2,019 Posts
CONCLUSION:
Heard back from the dealer and their lawyer informed me and my lawyer the deal/contract has been cancelled and I have 24 hours to return the vehicle or incur a $50/day + 0.50cent per mile fee for every day not returned.

Given my options are:
1) Tell them to **** off, and see them in court and let the judge decide all this (...in forever long that takes from now)
2) Pay the difference of the $5,000-7,000 they are asking for....OR...come in and re-sign a new deal/contract entirely and keep the Challenger.
3) They agreed to the return of the vehicle, unwinding of the deal and my money back and I walk away as if it all never happened.

I have decided to take option 3. I am returning the vehicle ASAP and it was nice having a 'rental car' Challenger for a month or two.
My lawyer was covered from my job, so no fee there thankfully. But my Chevy Truck lease however was already turned in, as that
lease deal ended on 3/31, so I'm carless now. The challenger was a great car!! But I won't be getting another right now lol.

What a disaster. Hope you all have enjoyed this read at least!
Terrible situation but Option 3 was the best of the options and you made the right decision.

For a car you don't have to buy another Challenger right now. Don't know your circumstances but some relatively inexpensive basic transportation right now would be a smart move. Something that won't bankrupt you if you happen to get laid off. Use it but don't abuse it. Take care of it and when the time comes you can trade it in when you buy another car.
 

Registered
Joined
18 Posts
CONCLUSION:
Heard back from the dealer and their lawyer informed me and my lawyer the deal/contract has been cancelled and I have 24 hours to return the vehicle or incur a $50/day + 0.50cent per mile fee for every day not returned.

Given my options are:
1) Tell them to **** off, and see them in court and let the judge decide all this (...in forever long that takes from now)
2) Pay the difference of the $5,000-7,000 they are asking for....OR...come in and re-sign a new deal/contract entirely and keep the Challenger.
3) They agreed to the return of the vehicle, unwinding of the deal and my money back and I walk away as if it all never happened.

I have decided to take option 3. I am returning the vehicle ASAP and it was nice having a 'rental car' Challenger for a month or two.
My lawyer was covered from my job, so no fee there thankfully. But my Chevy Truck lease however was already turned in, as that
lease deal ended on 3/31, so I'm carless now. The challenger was a great car!! But I won't be getting another right now lol.

What a disaster. Hope you all have enjoyed this read at least!
I am sorry to hear about your experience. That is an awful situation. I think you鈥檙e correct in option 3. You may also wish to have the dealer remove the car on your credit report to get rid of the 鈥渋nitial score hit鈥 of buying a car. If you were to get another car, the initial hit on your credit score may possibly move you into a higher interest bracket, but only if you were on the fence to begin with. If you wish to leave it on there, with age, your score will return to normal.

You may want to talk to your lawyer about the fact that you were left in a worse position than before dealing the dealership. The deal is not fully unwound because you are left without a vehicle. You may be able to prove harm.

On the flipside the dealership will have to sell the car as used instead of new given that you have driven it for a couple of months. Although, I would never put anything past a dealership鈥檚 ability to make profit at the expense of customers.

You should follow up to see how much they sell it for. When you think about it, it鈥檚 going to be interesting because they were already out the $5000-$7000 because of the deal and now they get a used car back and they can no longer sell as new so they are still taking a hit on the selling price for the next customer.

Considering those details, why wouldn鈥檛 they just work it out with you and let you keep the car and take the hit to begin with? Given what I said earlier about a dealership鈥檚 ability to profit at the expense of customers, I wouldn鈥檛 put it past them to reset the odometer and sell it as new.

Anyway, that鈥檚 up to you to keep on top of if you want to. I personally don鈥檛 trust or like dealerships and I generally think the majority of them are shady. So it will be interesting, given everything you鈥檝e gone through, of how they actually intend to recoup that $5000-$7000 since it was so important to them to get it back one way or another.

Here is another thing to think about鈥 Have they already received all of the rebates and manufacturer discounts back from FCA because the car was new when you bought it? Are they treating it as a buyback? Will the manufacturer rebates and discounts be sent back to FCA? Again, lots of things to think about because in my opinion all dealerships are shady


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
81 - 100 of 111 Posts
Top