Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
2018 SRT
Discussion Starter #1
So I've purchase 2 other cars before ordering my 2018 SRT challenger from the same dealer. I do know the car left the factory and is in transit and I guess close to being delivered , my dealer called me and requested that they have permission to call my insurance company and put the insurance on the car before I even take delivery of it. They said it would make it easier and faster when the car arrives. Now I didn't think to much of it because they have always done the right thing by me and at the time just went with it.
So what do you all think about this ? What if any would be the problem in doing this ? Just wondering if anyone else has done this .

Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392
In Arizona, I was required to show proof of insurance but not necessarily for the Challenger I was purchasing. The dealer just needed to know I was insured on my current car. I actually knew when I was going to go pick up the Challenger so I called my insurance company and added the car the evening before. However, I could've waited until I got the car home to do it. I even asked my insurance company if I would've been insured on my new car if something had happened to it on the way home (if I hadn't added it the night before). They (esurance) said I would've been covered.

I don't know if this helps or not...

saint 0:)

Premium Member
No. I would examine that thing first. NEVER have done that. You show them your proof of insurance...... out the door.
What if there is damage to that car. You have never even seen it! I wouldn't start taking liability until I saw it first.
Perhaps that is paranoid. But NO never heard of that and would have to say no.
Good luck!

Registered
While some people might say you are automatically covered under your current car insurance policy, I would not recommend automatically assuming that. Not all policies automatically do that. Just to be on the side of caution, I'd call your insurance agent before the car arrives and provide him or her with all the details on the car. This will include the vehicle identification number (VIN), the purchase price and various other important items on your sales agreement. By doing a little pre-arrangement on the policy with your agent you can bring the completed insurance paperwork along with policy's effective date with you when you go to take delivery. Dealers are sometimes very insistent on their sold vehicles having full coverage before leaving their lots...especially if you have taken advantage of any type of dealer financing. By doing things in this fashion you should have no problems as the car will be covered beforehand and you will have the completed paperwork with you when you arrive to get the car. Hope this is helpful...and congrats on the new Challenger! I remember when we ordered ours...it was like Christmas the day it arrive that day in June 2016!!

Registered
2018 SRT
Discussion Starter #6
While some people might say you are automatically covered under your current car insurance policy, I would not recommend automatically assuming that. Not all policies automatically do that. Just to be on the side of caution, I'd call your insurance agent before the car arrives and provide him or her with all the details on the car. This will include the vehicle identification number (VIN), the purchase price and various other important items on your sales agreement. By doing a little pre-arrangement on the policy with your agent you can bring the completed insurance paperwork along with policy's effective date with you when you go to take delivery. Dealers are sometimes very insistent on their sold vehicles having full coverage before leaving their lots...especially if you have taken advantage of any type of dealer financing. By doing things in this fashion you should have no problems as the car will be covered beforehand and you will have the completed paperwork with you when you arrive to get the car. Hope this is helpful...and congrats on the new Challenger! I remember when we ordered ours...it was like Christmas the day it arrive that day in June 2016!!
Good points , they are going to register the car as well and plates . I know they don't have good storage on their lot and perhapes they just want to maximize their time and bang the car out when it arrives so it doesn't tie up space, we've had snow and bad weather here in the NYC area , that could be one thing. Also I would have to,assume that they would have the insurance card handy since they did contact my carrier and did have it added , geico did call me so I could give them permission. Just never had this request before and now that a few days have past I'm thinking it's not ordinary.

Registered
In Canada they need the insurance information to get the title and plates. If you are not insured, the province will not issue plates.

Registered
I know that in California you have to show proof of insurance at delivery before leaving the lot. It does not have to be for that car.
I believe that it is also state law that you are automatically covered on a new car for either 48 or 72 hours. If you buy Friday night you are basically covered under the current plan till the insurance company is open for business so you can add it.
I don't plan to add mine till after I inspect it and take delivery.

Registered
I know that in California you have to show proof of insurance at delivery before leaving the lot. It does not have to be for that car.
I believe that it is also state law that you are automatically covered on a new car for either 48 or 72 hours. If you buy Friday night you are basically covered under the current plan till the insurance company is open for business so you can add it.
I don't plan to add mine till after I inspect it and take delivery.
The coverage is dependent on your insurance carrier. Most cover you in a new car for a couple days prior to adding the car to insurance. Most dealers will not require that their car is covered, only that you show proof of insurance - however - once you sign contacts the liability rests with the consumer so it is in your interest to verify with your insurance carrier that you are covered.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Registered
So I've purchase 2 other cars before ordering my 2018 SRT challenger from the same dealer. I do know the car left the factory and is in transit and I guess close to being delivered , my dealer called me and requested that they have permission to call my insurance company and put the insurance on the car before I even take delivery of it. They said it would make it easier and faster when the car arrives. Now I didn't think to much of it because they have always done the right thing by me and at the time just went with it.
So what do you all think about this ? What if any would be the problem in doing this ? Just wondering if anyone else has done this .
There are really no particular reasons that the dealership would want insurance prior to delivery. Unless you signed contracts before ordering the car, in which case they may want to book the deal for last month and would need the insurance to get the deal processed. Otherwise, the only reason I can think is to confirm your commitment to the deal. I've been in the car business for 22 years and I've never asked a customer with a deposit to add the car before delivery. It's true that it would make it "faster" but there is no way anyone cares to make it faster by 20 minutes. There is another reason. They probably want commitment.

Registered
2018 SRT
Discussion Starter #11
There are really no particular reasons that the dealership would want insurance prior to delivery. Unless you signed contracts before ordering the car, in which case they may want to book the deal for last month and would need the insurance to get the deal processed. Otherwise, the only reason I can think is to confirm your commitment to the deal. I've been in the car business for 22 years and I've never asked a customer with a deposit to add the car before delivery. It's true that it would make it "faster" but there is no way anyone cares to make it faster by 20 minutes. There is another reason. They probably want commitment.

That's good answer , could be an end of the month thing, and commitment , I can see that angle . The car is propbably a week away still. Here's another twist , I traded in my 09 SRT in the beginning of December and it is so clean it's in their show room. So they have possession of my 09 . I have a letter with agreed trade in . So that's another twist. They have to know I am committed at this point.

Registered
That's good answer , could be an end of the month thing, and commitment , I can see that angle . The car is propbably a week away still. Here's another twist , I traded in my 09 SRT in the beginning of December and it is so clean it's in their show room. So they have possession of my 09 . I have a letter with agreed trade in . So that's another twist. They have to know I am committed at this point.
Did you sign a contract? If they took your trade and put it in the showroom, then they put it through the shop. If they put it through the shop they must have done paperwork on the vehicle (contract, release of liability, agreement to insure etc) You must have signed contracts? My guess is ... You bought a car... even though you may not feel that way because you haven't taken delivery. Is the new car leased or financed? If so they needed insurance for the bank to fund their car deal which they probably already sent to the bank. Given that info, the answer to your original post is... They wanted to book the deal.

Registered
2018 SRT
Discussion Starter #13
Did you sign a contract? If they took your trade and put it in the showroom, then they put it through the shop. If they put it through the shop they must have done paperwork on the vehicle (contract, release of liability, agreement to insure etc) You must have signed contracts? My guess is ... You bought a car... even though you may not feel that way because you haven't taken delivery. Is the new car leased or financed? If so they needed insurance for the bank to fund their car deal which they probably already sent to the bank. Given that info, the answer to your original post is... They wanted to book the deal.

Yes I did fill out some paperwork for the trade in. The new car is a purchase with some financing involved , so my trade in and a check and the residual is financing. So like I said they wanted my 09 right away so December 1 they took it , I guess they wanted to try and sell it over the Christmas period , and last week they wanted to insure the new one , there is a memeber here at the plant that informed me that my car was shipped out on December 28th over the holiday shutdown. So I imagine it's real,close to landing at the dealer or the dealers holding lot.

Premium Member

It's the beginning of the month but I agree.

Registered
2018 SRT
Discussion Starter #15
It's the beginning of the month but I agree.
Yea has to be it , can't see any malice with this dealer , I know them pretty well and they are good folks . This is the third car I'm buying from them and I'm always in there for filters , fluids and such . So I guess they are just playing the angles and the numbers because they have to. Bad weather here in the NYC area also . Probably just trying to maximize the books

Registered
2015 R/T
When I bought mine the dealer sent me over the info on the car and I called my agent to add the car to my policy effective that day.If there is anything wrong with the car and you refuse delivery you can just cancel it the same day and shouldn't have any cost since the policy is only a few hrs old.In Michigan it's my understanding you can't drive it off the lot until it has coverage once you take over ownership of the car.

Premium Member
When I bought mine the dealer sent me over the info on the car and I called my agent to add the car to my policy effective that day.If there is anything wrong with the car and you refuse delivery you can just cancel it the same day and shouldn't have any cost since the policy is only a few hrs old.In Michigan it's my understanding you can't drive it off the lot until it has coverage once you take over ownership of the car.

Me too. I'd just rather do it myself.

Registered
Yea has to be it , can't see any malice with this dealer , I know them pretty well and they are good folks . This is the third car I'm buying from them and I'm always in there for filters , fluids and such . So I guess they are just playing the angles and the numbers because they have to. Bad weather here in the NYC area also . Probably just trying to maximize the books
It's very common. Will not hurt you. Also, they may have used dealer cash or customer rebates that expired or changed so they submitted the deal and booked it to lock in the terms.

Registered
It is very possible that it is the end of the and rebate thing.
Last Sunday 12/31 I got a call from someone at the dealer that was given the paperwork to process the rebate, he was confused because he didn't even know if I had taken delivery or not. I told him no and that I thought there would be new rebates before the car came in and I expected to get them.

Registered
Last weekend, my brother in law called me to ask if it was normal.. Long story short.. The dealer wanted him to insure the car before they gave him the keys to leave the lot. I thought this was crazy.. Never heard of such a thing.. Im used to walking out the door with my existing insurance card.. The guy at the dealer said that they began this practice recently.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts