Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get some feedback about my issue, and what to do. My fuel gauge shows 3/4 full when the tank is full, the car works fine but the dealership bought the part and scheduled a service appointment to fix it. So they swapped out the sensors and did some more work but now the service dept is scratching their heads about what is causing this issue.

They emailed me and told me to just pick the car up since they're still working with someone on the east coast about the issue.

I've had a couple of other intermittent issues with the car like the radio kept playing even though I had shut the car off and opened the door. I closed the door and I was outside the car but the radio was still playing. I eventually got it fixed but its concerning since I have about 1,000 miles on the car.

The other issues were also with the 7" display screen such as it will freeze, get stuck in backup camera mode, and sometimes just go black.

We've already told our dealership that not fixing it isn't the answer and we'll be moving this up the chain.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,447 Posts
I'm hoping to get some feedback about my issue, and what to do. My fuel gauge shows 3/4 full when the tank is full, the car works fine but the dealership bought the part and scheduled a service appointment to fix it. So they swapped out the sensors and did some more work but now the service dept is scratching their heads about what is causing this issue.

They emailed me and told me to just pick the car up since they're still working with someone on the east coast about the issue.

I've had a couple of other intermittent issues with the car like the radio kept playing even though I had shut the car off and opened the door. I closed the door and I was outside the car but the radio was still playing. I eventually got it fixed but its concerning since I have about 1,000 miles on the car.

The other issues were also with the 7" display screen such as it will freeze, get stuck in backup camera mode, and sometimes just go black.

We've already told our dealership that not fixing it isn't the answer and we'll be moving this up the chain.

Any other suggestions?
If you bought it new, lemon laws should apply here. None of that should ever happen on a new car, and from the looks of it, there may be more problems down the road. :(

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's a really good idea! That always seems to help. Thanks!
All vehicle manufacturers have issues so it is the job of the service side to make things right. There are plenty of people that have troublefree vehicles that take abuse and keep on going, but I was not one of them. A service department can make or break a vehicle brand and in my opinion, FCA suffers greatly in this arena. Every time I had issues with my car, dealing with the service side of FCA was always a fricking nightmare. I dread the times I have to take my car to them for anything because I know it will be some long drawn out saga of ineptitude and regret. After going to the only two dealers, on separate occasions, for major work I have come to the conclusion that FCA needs an overhaul on their service side of the house.

With that being said, the only saving grace has been there Dodge Care Team. After haggling with the dealer, a quick call to the Dodge Cares department and things started to move. When my motor dropped a valve, they were able to compensate free lifetime oil changes and were able to expedite parts movement after the dealer was too inept to figure out the problem. When my transmission crapped out, they made a payment for me since my car was down for nearly a month. The problem rests with the service department and the STAR team that dealers have to interact with.

Basically the STAR team tells the dealer how to troubleshoot and then the dealer has to input the results of the tests into the file system. Then the STAR team takes 2-3 days to get around to your case and then either issue a repair statement OR request that more tests be done. If more tests are required then the dealer will perform the test and reupload the results. Another 2-3 days go by before the STAR team gets back to the dealer concerning the next steps. Unfortunately, by the time the second response comes in then the weekend is upon us and the dealer wants to catch up on other stuff since your car won't be looked at again for a few more days. Now your car will sit there over the weekend collecting shop dust and getting moved around the lot like some hunk of junk that is in the way. A new week comes around and this process starts again with the dealer and STAR team going back and forth trying to figure out the next step. In many cases, the dealer isn't even sure how to perform some of the tests that the STAR team wants them to do. After about two weeks or so of those two idiots going back and forth, a repair statement might be issued to either order a new part or whatever. The part is typically on back order and has to come from some main warehouse which is about 7-10 days of shipping and handling. After the part gets to the dealer then the car has to be put into queue for the mechanic. Since most shops only have 1 specialty mechanic, that means your car may be 2nd or 3rd in line since it was waiting on a part. Another 2-3 days goes by and now your car is on the lift getting repaired. You better hope that whatever they ordered fixes the problem or your are back to square one with this mess.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I have never seen such an inefficient service department like this one. I have owned plenty of GM vehicles, and trust me GM has problems too, but I have never experienced crap like this with them. Any time I had a major issue that might take a minute to fix, they usually have a loaner ready to go and that loaner is of equal value to what I brought in. I can also count on one hand where a repair took more than a day or two to fix. Anyways, get Dodge Care involved and at the least if your repair takes a long time or causes you an ass pain they will make it right. They will be the liaison between corporate and the dealer. Any compensation you might want for the asspain you are about to go through will be handled by them. In my opinion, they are saving FCA's service department. Without them, I don't see FCA lasting too much longer with the crap customer service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you're exactly right - they mentioned something about talking to STAR. Looks like my next step is contacting Dodge Cares team. Thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
If I do have an issue with my Challenger and unable to reach an agreeable solution with my dealer. I definitely will get ahold of Dodge Cares. They really care! Good luck and am rooting for you to get the solution in your favor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dodgecares has already requested my vin# email, phone, dealership, etc and also gave me an update. That already makes me feel better.

On a side note - I really like my Challenger - it's my first high HP car and it's such a blast to drive. First car was '68 Volkswagen, second was '98 Honda Civic Hatchback w/no AC, third was '99 Ford Ranger (LOL), fourth was Toyota Matrix, fifth was Honda Accord, sixth was Honda Fit, Seventh was Honda CR-V. Yes, I'm an import fan haha, but I'm really loving the Dodge Hemi power! It's going to be hard to go back to a low horsepower car LOL!

I'm hoping all this gets resolved and I'm feeling more confident that it will be.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already got an email stating that my case has been assigned to a Case Manager and she'll be contacting me shortly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just dropped my 2015 Challenger SRT392 off at the dealer for problem that just popped up about 2 weeks ago. This was a special order car that I ordered back in September '14 and took delivery of in December '14. Now since then this car has accumulated just over 2300 miles, and not even had its first oil change yet, and has never seen rain. Anyway, started to notice a "gear nibble" when going into 5th gear, even when fully warmed up. Any ideas on what's going on, and what should I expect from the dealer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not sure...

Just dropped my 2015 Challenger SRT392 off at the dealer for problem that just popped up about 2 weeks ago. This was a special order car that I ordered back in September '14 and took delivery of in December '14. Now since then this car has accumulated just over 2300 miles, and not even had its first oil change yet, and has never seen rain. Anyway, started to notice a "gear nibble" when going into 5th gear, even when fully warmed up. Any ideas on what's going on, and what should I expect from the dealer?
I'm a fairly new Challenger owner so you might have better luck starting a new thread, more people might notice and be able to respond. All I know so far is that FCA service isn't that great and to contact Dodge Cares via a PM in this forum or social media if the service center fails you in doing their job satisfactory.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
You should still change the oil every 6-9 months. If the car sits for longer than a 6 weeks, you need to consider storage efforts. It's just better for the vehicle, all around.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
All vehicle manufacturers have issues so it is the job of the service side to make things right. There are plenty of people that have troublefree vehicles that take abuse and keep on going, but I was not one of them. A service department can make or break a vehicle brand and in my opinion, FCA suffers greatly in this arena. Every time I had issues with my car, dealing with the service side of FCA was always a fricking nightmare. I dread the times I have to take my car to them for anything because I know it will be some long drawn out saga of ineptitude and regret. After going to the only two dealers, on separate occasions, for major work I have come to the conclusion that FCA needs an overhaul on their service side of the house.

With that being said, the only saving grace has been there Dodge Care Team. After haggling with the dealer, a quick call to the Dodge Cares department and things started to move. When my motor dropped a valve, they were able to compensate free lifetime oil changes and were able to expedite parts movement after the dealer was too inept to figure out the problem. When my transmission crapped out, they made a payment for me since my car was down for nearly a month. The problem rests with the service department and the STAR team that dealers have to interact with.

Basically the STAR team tells the dealer how to troubleshoot and then the dealer has to input the results of the tests into the file system. Then the STAR team takes 2-3 days to get around to your case and then either issue a repair statement OR request that more tests be done. If more tests are required then the dealer will perform the test and reupload the results. Another 2-3 days go by before the STAR team gets back to the dealer concerning the next steps. Unfortunately, by the time the second response comes in then the weekend is upon us and the dealer wants to catch up on other stuff since your car won't be looked at again for a few more days. Now your car will sit there over the weekend collecting shop dust and getting moved around the lot like some hunk of junk that is in the way. A new week comes around and this process starts again with the dealer and STAR team going back and forth trying to figure out the next step. In many cases, the dealer isn't even sure how to perform some of the tests that the STAR team wants them to do. After about two weeks or so of those two idiots going back and forth, a repair statement might be issued to either order a new part or whatever. The part is typically on back order and has to come from some main warehouse which is about 7-10 days of shipping and handling. After the part gets to the dealer then the car has to be put into queue for the mechanic. Since most shops only have 1 specialty mechanic, that means your car may be 2nd or 3rd in line since it was waiting on a part. Another 2-3 days goes by and now your car is on the lift getting repaired. You better hope that whatever they ordered fixes the problem or your are back to square one with this mess.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I have never seen such an inefficient service department like this one. I have owned plenty of GM vehicles, and trust me GM has problems too, but I have never experienced crap like this with them. Any time I had a major issue that might take a minute to fix, they usually have a loaner ready to go and that loaner is of equal value to what I brought in. I can also count on one hand where a repair took more than a day or two to fix. Anyways, get Dodge Care involved and at the least if your repair takes a long time or causes you an ass pain they will make it right. They will be the liaison between corporate and the dealer. Any compensation you might want for the asspain you are about to go through will be handled by them. In my opinion, they are saving FCA's service department. Without them, I don't see FCA lasting too much longer with the crap customer service.
This is extremely great information for anyone dealing with an ongoing issue. Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently had issues with my Durango . The blower moter kept blowing fuses and melted the fuse box.After 4 trips to dealer all they kept doing was changing fuse . I went to a different dealer and told them the problem and they fixed it properley the 1st time.Don't give up . Try a different dealer.Also keep all of your paperwork.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Crazy, i just started expierencing this fuel issue too. On a full tank that used to say 210+ miles now it maxes out at 170 on a full tank ?!

·
Registered
2016 plum crazy purple R/T Scat Pack
1,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Crazy, i just started expierencing this fuel issue too. On a full tank that used to say 210+ miles now it maxes out at 170 on a full tank ?!
Don't go by this as it is all dependant on your driving habits. If you reset your fuel averages that will change dramatically.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know this may sound stupid, but on my wife's Journey, when pumping gas and the gas trigger will stop on its own when it detects its full, if I don't continue to pump a few more gallons, the gauge will show less than full as well. Something in the fuel filler tube causes the fuel to move up the tube rather quickly and in turn the pump thinks its full. So I have a similar issue, but it seems to me its because its just not filling all the way, even though the pump thinks its full.

How I figured this out was, I drove the car to almost empty, then filled it up and if the pump would automatically stop at less than what the capacity of the fuel tank has, then I could get a good idea that it was just not pumping enough gas at the time of fill up.

You may have tried this already, in that case, sorry for the long comment!

Also on my Challenger(2016), I had to update the Uconnect system myself, for some reason it wont update "over the air" and for some illogical reason the dealership wont either. So once I updated it on my own the Uconnect interface was more snappy/less laggy. But than again mine would not freeze either.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts