Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going over to dealer today for an under warranty item....I'm over 50k miles on my 2011 and wish to change out the tranny and rear diff gear oils....on another car I did the wait for 100k thing as noted in their manual and the tranny never made it to 100k as the diff oil gets dirty with carbon and fouls solenoids which cost a small fortune...that Mech said to me, change out oils now matter what at say 45-55k always.....

He did a BG machine flush on the tranny in that car....the dealer does not do that but they want to do the following: Change Tranny fluids, and also drop the tranny pan and install the tranny kit which includes a filter etc.....and I was quoted 300-400 or something like that....I'm not keen on removing the tranny lower etc....in fear of a future leak(s).

Basically what the heck to I do and am I worrying for no reason....I was thinking if the oil is black then maybe yes...or if its not that bad just drain and install new tranny and rear oils? Is that the way to go?

Advice needed as to what is the normal procedure......going to use the dealer as the independents charge the same around here. Thank you to the experts here. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's kind of darn if you do darn if you don't. The normal process today from what I understand is to use a pump that pumps in new fluid and removes the old fluid. At 50,000 I don't think you really need a filter change unless you are racing it or working the trans harder than the normal guy. For all rearend work I always seek the local rearend race shop. They seem to be the experts on that item and I've had 100% luck using those kind of places.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Russ correctamundo.....my apt was at 12 so I was on the way......I called a shop owner that I know who does high end work here and were sort of related....he concurred with what I was thinking.

45-50k miles change out diff and tranny oils and do put in filter kit pack etc.......so I went ahead and did that yesterday.......and you know what, as always, you can certainly feel the difference. Its really smooth again not that terrible different, but it does feel like "New Car Smooth" operationally. I have been aware for many years, no make that lots of years now, that these oils/fluids will break down over time etc. He noted that the push pull change is "neuvo" but once the pan is pulled "The guys at Dodge will follow sequence/protocol and it will be done right by the book".

The Maxima we had was the "you do not change" for 100k miles in the manual and the better part of my judgment wrestled with that for almost 100k miles and boom kaput...new solenoid in the pan and it would have never happened if I went 45-50 change...gee thanks Nissan for the pre determined obsolescence built into the tranny no filter/oil change for 100k...then I meet others with the same problem getting whacked for a 7k tranny at the dealer......what was once old is still new (referring to doing the oil changes at reasonable intervals).

So for anyone reading this wrestling with time for an oil change in the tranny and rear...do it at 45-50 and if your over do it asap...otherwise the carbon builds up in tranny fluids and just blows up the tranny electronically controlled shifting for the automatics, but do it for the manual trannys too.....my Dodge Dealership Service Manager he is outstanding he said hes does it on his SRT Grand Cherokee at the same intervals too.

Thanks..appreciated.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,730 Posts
Not sure if you would have considered doing the trans & rear-diff maintenances yourself, but I wish I had seen this thread earlier, I could have pointed you to the write-ups I did in the DIY section for each one.

All in all, the trans fluid/filter one isn't too bad, but it has the potential to get messy for sure if you're not careful.

The rear-diff one was pretty darn straight forward, but I can still taste the nasty taste of that friggin' gear oil...BLECK...which IIRC is noted in my write-up as a definite "DO NOT DO THIS" item in that particular maintenance :icon_wink:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure if you would have considered doing the trans & rear-diff maintenances yourself, but I wish I had seen this thread earlier, I could have pointed you to the write-ups I did in the DIY section for each one.

All in all, the trans fluid/filter one isn't too bad, but it has the potential to get messy for sure if you're not careful.

The rear-diff one was pretty darn straight forward, but I can still taste the nasty taste of that friggin' gear oil...BLECK...which IIRC is noted in my write-up as a definite "DO NOT DO THIS" item in that particular maintenance :icon_wink:
Mind dropping the links to the write-ups??

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts

Yeah, lemme find 'em right quick...

FYI: the write-ups are going to be applicable to the pre-2015 Challengers only as far as I know. The Trans one is definitely not applicable to the newer 8 speed ZF transmissions, but I can't remember if the rear-ends in the 2015+ models were significantly different...

anyway, if you're working on a 2014 or older LX, then the write-ups will definitely apply is what I wanted to state for the record...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, lemme find 'em right quick...

FYI: the write-ups are going to be applicable to the pre-2015 Challengers only as far as I know. The Trans one is definitely not applicable to the newer 8 speed ZF transmissions, but I can't remember if the rear-ends in the 2015+ models were significantly different...

anyway, if you're working on a 2014 or older LX, then the write-ups will definitely apply is what I wanted to state for the record...
09 lx :)

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts

Here are the write-ups for the transmission and rear-end in our LXs (pre-2015):

Fluid & filter maintenance on the 5 speed auto (NAG1): http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/nag1-fluid-filter-change-571777/?highlight=

Gear oil maintenance (plus LSD additive discussion) for rear-diffs: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/changing-rear-diff-fluid-573569/?highlight=

And just in case, I figured I would throw this one in too since a lot of people never think about including the brake fluid in maintenance intervals:

Brake Fluid Replacement: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/changing-brake-fluid-511498/?highlight=

Feel free to PM me or even post a reply in any of those threads if you see something I missed or didn't document that should have been. I want them to be as useful as possible to anyone that can use them.

Nuke

Reactions: stoviAZ

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here are the write-ups for the transmission and rear-end in our LXs (pre-2015):

Fluid & filter maintenance on the 5 speed auto (NAG1): http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/nag1-fluid-filter-change-571777/?highlight=

Gear oil maintenance (plus LSD additive discussion) for rear-diffs: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/changing-rear-diff-fluid-573569/?highlight=

And just in case, I figured I would throw this one in too since a lot of people never think about including the brake fluid in maintenance intervals:

Brake Fluid Replacement: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/changing-brake-fluid-511498/?highlight=

Feel free to PM me or even post a reply in any of those threads if you see something I missed or didn't document that should have been. I want them to be as useful as possible to anyone that can use them.

Nuke
Thank you sir!

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
09 lx :)

does that have the 4 speed auto trans? (4L80E or something like that)

If so, my write-up won't match up to your trans exactly, but it's similar for sure.

The Chilton's manual I have listed the steps for the A4 as well as the A5 trans, but I did not include the A4 ones in my write-up since they didn't apply. I could probably be persuaded to scan those pages off from the manual and post them up for you if you wanted to go through the steps and peep for any surprises before trying the maintenance yourself.

Reactions: stoviAZ

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes you are correct and the info sent is really appreciated....If it were last year then yes to doing it myself...but I'm now older and recently been diagnosed with arthritis (really painful) in my neck pretty severe...I can do the brakes and simple stuff but under the car flat or standing below it on a lift and I cannot raise my arms....so I'm sort of limited on that end doing it myself anymore.

Its a ***** but hey ...the bigger issue I'm running into...is I love my car and get great compliments even yesterday, but it has the Track Pack option and driving in the car is a blast the first 45 minutes then all the stiff suspension is killing my neck...its awful. We bought new Grand Cherokee (hers) which is great, not the same ride and you know what.......the Chally if this does not get better...is going to become another Grand Cherokee X 2 for us. Mine--hers.....so the new SRT purchase may being going passé...will have to see if I'm stubborn enough to overcome the pain in the neck...but right now its winning the battle.

And so it goes.... Thanks to all of you for your insight as always...great group of people here indeed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts