Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge challenger rallye redline
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so my 2012 3.6l dodge challenger ralleye redline with only 17,198 freeway miles has been having transmission issues where on the deceleration it clunks gears due to hard shifting in normal auto mode. it has done it a few times around 6 times and its a hard jolt when it does do that. so i called the dealership to get info if i had a warranty that would cover this and the service writer said ill pass a note to the manager and he will call you back so i wait all day no phone call so i call back and get the same guy as last time and i ask him if he can tell me if i have a warranty still with this car because i am 5 weeks out on my 3 year warranty. so he says i guess he didn't get my note ill leave another. so i wait all day then follow up the next day which this is now day three just to find out if i have any warranty on my car i bought brand new from them. its the same guy i talked to each day he puts me on hold for 10 minutes and comes back and says im really trying to help you i truly am then asks for my vin and odometer for the third time each day he kept asking for it. so i gave it all to him and low and behold what do i hear him doing?? hes looking it up for me himself..... really you couldn't of looked it up 3 days ago?? "i thought in my head". so he tells me yes i do have the power train warranty so i can bring it in to them. so i research my issue out on the challenger forums and i see that other people have had the same exact issue as me and the fix was to reflash the TCM with updated software.

so i take my car in and get it checked in and tell them this is what i have found and it is more then likely the TCM that needs to be reflashed but maybe you might find something else but id put money on it thats the problem. so he puts that in the notes and two days pass. i get a call from the guy saying it is a module that needs to be reflashed and i said the TCM? he said umm yeah how did you know? i said i told you that on drop off that thats probably the problem but is the car ready to be picked up? he said no they havent fixed the problem because reflashing the TCM is not covered under the powertrain warranty and that i had to pay 351$ to flash it. i told them dont do anything more with my car i will call you back tomorrow "it was 5:12pm when he called they were closing" so i then called dodge at headquarters and talked to them about it and submitted a case with them because alex at headquarters said it shows in his book that the TCM is a covered piece and that he would call the dealer to talk to them about the issue. so the next day aka today i call the dealer to see if they had talked to them and he said no so i called dodge headquarters back and talked to another guy and he told me that the TCM is covered yes but not a reflash. how can a part be covered but not really covered??? but since im only 5 weeks out on the 3 year warranty they will see if they will split the cost or cover it for me or not at all. im kind of hot and heated over this and am looking for your guys advise on this issue.

·
Registered
936 Posts
so my 2012 3.6l dodge challenger ralleye redline with only 17,198 freeway miles has been having transmission issues where on the deceleration it clunks gears due to hard shifting in normal auto mode. it has done it a few times around 6 times and its a hard jolt when it does do that. so i called the dealership to get info if i had a warranty that would cover this and the service writer said ill pass a note to the manager and he will call you back so i wait all day no phone call so i call back and get the same guy as last time and i ask him if he can tell me if i have a warranty still with this car because i am 5 weeks out on my 3 year warranty. so he says i guess he didn't get my note ill leave another. so i wait all day then follow up the next day which this is now day three just to find out if i have any warranty on my car i bought brand new from them. its the same guy i talked to each day he puts me on hold for 10 minutes and comes back and says im really trying to help you i truly am then asks for my vin and odometer for the third time each day he kept asking for it. so i gave it all to him and low and behold what do i hear him doing?? hes looking it up for me himself..... really you couldn't of looked it up 3 days ago?? "i thought in my head". so he tells me yes i do have the power train warranty so i can bring it in to them. so i research my issue out on the challenger forums and i see that other people have had the same exact issue as me and the fix was to reflash the TCM with updated software.

so i take my car in and get it checked in and tell them this is what i have found and it is more then likely the TCM that needs to be reflashed but maybe you might find something else but id put money on it thats the problem. so he puts that in the notes and two days pass. i get a call from the guy saying it is a module that needs to be reflashed and i said the TCM? he said umm yeah how did you know? i said i told you that on drop off that thats probably the problem but is the car ready to be picked up? he said no they havent fixed the problem because reflashing the TCM is not covered under the powertrain warranty and that i had to pay 351$ to flash it. i told them dont do anything more with my car i will call you back tomorrow "it was 5:12pm when he called they were closing" so i then called dodge at headquarters and talked to them about it and submitted a case with them because alex at headquarters said it shows in his book that the TCM is a covered piece and that he would call the dealer to talk to them about the issue. so the next day aka today i call the dealer to see if they had talked to them and he said no so i called dodge headquarters back and talked to another guy and he told me that the TCM is covered yes but not a reflash. how can a part be covered but not really covered??? but since im only 5 weeks out on the 3 year warranty they will see if they will split the cost or cover it for me or not at all. im kind of hot and heated over this and am looking for your guys advise on this issue.
So it sounds like a TCM failure would be covered but a TCM software update is not. Definitely sounds kind of fishy to me. If the transmission is covered and the transmission clunks, then I would think whatever remedy that is available should be covered, no matter what it is.

First thing I would tell you is to try another dealer. Seriously these folks are treating you like 5HIT. Dodge customer service sucks also. Best thing you can do is retrieve your car and then HAMMER them on any surveys that are sent to you. Be honest and give details where possible.

So, try another dealer and if it were me, I might just not do anything at all. If it only does it occasionally. But doesn't the actual powertrain warranty last longer than 3 years? If the clunking grenades your transmission or driveshaft or rear end then you will have an outright failure that they can fix. I thought the powertrain was 7/70?

Oh, and I would NEVER pay $351 to re-flash my car. It takes about 5 minutes to setup and maybe 10 more at most to complete. Maybe 1 hr shop labor at most if there is a minimum. Maybe if all else fails just shop around for a TCM update. You might actually get a reputable dealer that will enlighten you and cover it under the warrantee through this shopping around.

Heck, you might be able to actually buy a TCM outright for $351. Find the part number (google) and shop around on the internet and by calling all local dealers. Anything you buy right now over the counter should be the latest updates (check first). You could also call a dealer and have then look up the part and the price and this might be the best way because if the part number has ever been updated/superseded they will know and give you the newest part number. Ask for the part number and price and availability.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
So it sounds like a TCM failure would be covered but a TCM software update is not. Definitely sounds kind of fishy to me. If the transmission is covered and the transmission clunks, then I would think whatever remedy that is available should be covered, no matter what it is.

First thing I would tell you is to try another dealer. Seriously these folks are treating you like 5HIT. Dodge customer service sucks also. Best thing you can do is retrieve your car and then HAMMER them on any surveys that are sent to you. Be honest and give details where possible.

So, try another dealer and if it were me, I might just not do anything at all. If it only does it occasionally. But doesn't the actual powertrain warranty last longer than 3 years? If the clunking grenades your transmission or driveshaft or rear end then you will have an outright failure that they can fix. I thought the powertrain was 7/70?

Oh, and I would NEVER pay $351 to re-flash my car. It takes about 5 minutes to setup and maybe 10 more at most to complete. Maybe 1 hr shop labor at most if there is a minimum. Maybe if all else fails just shop around for a TCM update. You might actually get a reputable dealer that will enlighten you and cover it under the warrantee through this shopping around.

Heck, you might be able to actually buy a TCM outright for $351. Find the part number (google) and shop around on the internet and by calling all local dealers. Anything you buy right now over the counter should be the latest updates (check first). You could also call a dealer and have then look up the part and the price and this might be the best way because if the part number has ever been updated/superseded they will know and give you the newest part number. Ask for the part number and price and availability.
As far as dodge customer service being bad I would say your wrong. They have not ever given me a problem and they have not told him they wont cover it yet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sounds like a misfire going on in the cyclinder it's a recall on those best bet is to register your car with dodge owners website very handy

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

yes you would think with the TCM being covered that the part that makes it work would also be covered, but slap me for thinking stupid in not knowing a part that is covered is not actually covered. i cant take it to another dealer because the family basically owns the lower half of oregon. they are all lithia dodge, but even so headquarters is saying the TCM is covered but not reflashing the TCM so going to another dealer still wouldn't solve the problem.

yes i am still pushing to get this covered under the powertrain warranty and they will be calling me back tomorrow. i mean im only 5 weeks out of the bumper to bumper warranty and i only have 17,1** miles on it so not even close to the miles a average person puts on in a year and i have had it since day one 3 YEARS ago. i bought this car from this dealer for 30k and that means nothing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anything they should do it as a "good will" repair.
you would think but i guess not. the TCM is under the steering wheel so its super easy to get to so i dont understand how its a 351$ bill

but i will keep everyone up to date on what they say tomorrow

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also you know they know its a issue because they made a update to fix the issue and in the books thats what they call for to fix the problem "update to the new TCM revisions we made" also with my further research on the charger forums they also have the same issue

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,735 Posts
TCM failure is covered but a flash to correct known issues is not: ridiculous. Take the TCM out, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds, reinstall, then have the car towed to the dealer. ;)

Mike
That's the procedure the dealer uses to reflash it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your getting a clunk/bump from shifting, that would be power train, you have 5/100K including software updates.

The dealer should also be able to punch your vin # in and see if your car has any software revisions/updates due.

I was at the local store yesterday talking to one of my buddies who is a tech. He has a 2012 300 with 3.6 with 8HP45 with the pan off and was waiting for a new valve body, car was exhibiting clunks when downshifting, fix from chrysler was to change valve body and software update, all under warranty.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so after talking to the head of the warranty department and pushing my case in how it should be a covered fix they finally changed their minds and said they will cover the cost of the flashing. its been a total of a week from the day i dropped her off to the day i got it back today. so i show up to the dealer and find my car before i go talk to the guy to take back possesion of the car and guess what i find!!??? you guessed it a nice scratch you can clearly see from more then 10 feet away in person. i told the guy as i checked it in before all of this that the paint on it is flawless and hes needs to mark that down then i proceede to take pictures of the car with him in it and showing its at the dealership. so when i was there to pick it up i show to him with out a doubt that before i left it had was no scratch there. he didnt even try to deny it when i showed pictures proving it was fine before and now it was not. so they will see if it can be buffed out. i sure hope it can be. its a 1 inch and 1/4 long scratch

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
here is the new addition to my newly flashed TCM

im not trying to cause them problems i just want my car to be fixed without other issues like getting the paint scratched up

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
TCM and PCM flashes are covered under powertrain and to further that, we charge .5 of an hour to flash a module, yes .5 approx 50$

TCM would be covered under 5/100 power train, including flashes

PCM is covered under 5/100 power train or 8/80 emission, including flashes

all 4 of my service advisors use a system called wi-advisor, that immediatelly connect the vehicle wirelessly to an ipad that the advisor is using,

from it every thing populates, including tire pressures, any stored or pending, active codes, all available flashes, recommended maintenance etc

immediately we offer the flashes to the customer, if under warranty we advise them we will flash the modules for free, if out of warranty, will do first for 39.99 and each additional for 29.99, takes approx .5 to flash a module, some maybe less

and since we have half a brain we we will also ask about performance items on vehicles that usually have them to prevent from flashing a tuned pcm

we do the entire write up from a ipad and then push to a repair order and to the technician

any advisor or technician worth anything will immediately look for flashes and bulletins, and since the advisor can see available flashes, when a customer complains about an issue that has an available flash that info is communicated to the customer and to the technician

we dont just do the flash and hope it fixes everything, we will look at the vehicle, road test and apply the flash, if the tech believe something else is going on, we will diagnose further

many issues today are resolved with a software update

Luke

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
im simply stating facts, if tcm is covered then the flash is covered,

Luke

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
we are not perfect, we screw up lots of things, but we dont hesitate and we certaintly dont back up, if we screw up we handle it and move on
Luke

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
so after talking to the head of the warranty department and pushing my case in how it should be a covered fix they finally changed their minds and said they will cover the cost of the flashing. its been a total of a week from the day i dropped her off to the day i got it back today. so i show up to the dealer and find my car before i go talk to the guy to take back possesion of the car and guess what i find!!??? you guessed it a nice scratch you can clearly see from more then 10 feet away in person. i told the guy as i checked it in before all of this that the paint on it is flawless and hes needs to mark that down then i proceede to take pictures of the car with him in it and showing its at the dealership. so when i was there to pick it up i show to him with out a doubt that before i left it had was no scratch there. he didnt even try to deny it when i showed pictures proving it was fine before and now it was not. so they will see if it can be buffed out. i sure hope it can be. its a 1 inch and 1/4 long scratch
First thing I would do is take that 'Lithia' rear plate frame off.

Or add 'Sucks' to it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
here is the new addition to my newly flashed TCM

im not trying to cause them problems i just want my car to be fixed without other issues like getting the paint scratched up
Yikes! Hope it'll buff out. I usually run my fingernail across it lightly and if it stops in the scratch or you can easily feel it, it's probably deeper than the clear coat and chances of buffing it out aren't great.

Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts