Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just got a 2017 Challenger RT Shaker. Regarding the decal stripes- is it OK to take the car through a car wash machine with the rolling brushes and all? I thought it was paint until I looked closer I noticed they were decals. Concerned on how they hold up long-term and how to this keep this amazing car looking clean and new. Any owners feedback would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Ah, the subject of many a debate. I would never put my car through a commercial car wash, especially one that uses rolling brushes. Washing your car @ home takes a bit more work, but is a lot less risky. Any good car wash soap (Mothers or Maguiar’s are popular) will do. Follow that with a good wax or paint Sealant - the sealant will last longer. There are several threads on the site with more details.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Those decals won't hold up very well (over time) if your constantly using those car washes.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I use the soft brush car wash every week or two. So far so good but I MUST start doing it manually. Just can't do as good of a job. But to answer your question those have been there a while now so don't worry. Actually when something happens to mine I will go with a different look. Vinyl is cheap.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,699 Posts
Car wash with rollers!! :surprise:

Google for laser car wash followed by your zip code. Nothing touches the car. If you get the base wash it sprays some soap, lets it dwell a bit, more soap, and then several rinses. If it's not real dirty, it will come out clean. Otherwise, personally, I'm doing 2 bucket hand washes.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
Two bucket hand washing (see video) is the best way to protect your decals and paint. If you have to use a commercial car wash, find a "touchless" one, like A Guy has recommended.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
don't take a car with vinyl graphics through car washes with spinning brushes or those "mop" style brushes either.

The edges will wear and start to lift.

Reactions: mcalo42

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I only use the "touchless" car washes, and have zero issues with my side stripes on my Challengers.

If I don't go through the touchless, I just use the DIY spray wash, again with zero issues.

I'm a firm believer that the more your paint/stripes are touched, the more chance of scratching it can happen. Just say NO to any of the carwashes that use roller/mops etc.

Reactions: mcalo42

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I use a 1500 psi pressure washer to rinse/foam the car, then go over it with a mitt and 2-bucket wash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use a local commercial car wash, but it's a hand wash place, no automatic brushes. I usually have them hand wax it every other wash.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with the others. I have never nor will I ever run my Challenger thru a car wash. I will only hand wash it using Zaino products, it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor....it's two years old.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here's a few thoughts. If the car is a daily driver, the automatic carwashes will offer the undercarriage wash. If you are forced to drive your challenger through the winter, it's the only option and makes sense. Your stripes will be fine. I've had many daily drivers with vinyl graphics and they are fine. The sun does more long term damage than a car wash. My experiences with the touchless car washes has been extremely poor. Waste of money in my opinion. As for my challenger it is a garage green and has never been wet. I dust with detailer and microfiber and would never even consider a car wash for it. My truck is taken through car washes routinely and it's always clean, even though there are swirls and marks from the car wash. It's white so they aren't really noticeable. I used to take my red 03 ram through as well and always got compliments on how clean of a truck it was.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
66 Posts
Like ProPilot74, I too go to a commercial hand car wash place. It still runs through on the conveyor-belt-based automated system so you get the benefit of the under carriage wash. The rest of the car is done by 4 guys standing on the sides, they wash it with mitts as the car passes through. The cost is about $35 for a wash but that includes a complete cleaning of the interior as well.

I'm sure if you search you will find something similar close to you.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I use this you don't need a bucket my car is black and protectant
helps keep it clean best stuff I have ever used, from amazon

Eagle One 854071 Evolution Car Wash, 32 fl. oz.
Sold by: atozauction
$11.99
Submit
Buy it again

Eagle One Surface Protectant (854073)
Sold by: atozauction
$9.99

·
Registered
63 Posts
"Every-so-often" won't hurt. But, do not use any type of 'brushes' car wash regularly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts