Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Several years ago, I had a Magnum R/T and drove it in the shiftable automatic constantly. When I would come to as top, I would let the RPM's fall from whatever gear I was in, and would have an incredible sound of rumbling through the exhaust during deceleration. Best way to describe it was thunder. I had people ask me constantly how I was able to do that. Well, I didn't really know! I had the cats still on as well as the xpipe, but nothing else (no muffler/resonators).

I recently purchased a 2019 Challenger R/T, and was expecting the same results. I have taken off all mufflers and resonators, and left only the xpipe. When I drive in the sport mode or shiftable automatic, I am getting nothing close to the same sound. It only makes a fluttering/flapping sound while it is decelerating. Has anyone out there found a way to get that rumble with the Challenger? I understand how the rumble sound is made due to gasses still lingering after letting off the pedal, but I just cant seem to replicate the same thunderous sound I once had :frown:

·
Super Moderator
16,632 Posts
Hello all,

Several years ago, I had a Magnum R/T and drove it in the shiftable automatic constantly. When I would come to as top, I would let the RPM's fall from whatever gear I was in, and would have an incredible sound of rumbling through the exhaust during deceleration. Best way to describe it was thunder. I had people ask me constantly how I was able to do that. Well, I didn't really know! I had the cats still on as well as the xpipe, but nothing else (no muffler/resonators).

I recently purchased a 2019 Challenger R/T, and was expecting the same results. I have taken off all mufflers and resonators, and left only the xpipe. When I drive in the sport mode or shiftable automatic, I am getting nothing close to the same sound. It only makes a fluttering/flapping sound while it is decelerating. Has anyone out there found a way to get that rumble with the Challenger? I understand how the rumble sound is made due to gasses still lingering after letting off the pedal, but I just cant seem to replicate the same thunderous sound I once had :frown:
one of the contributing factors is your Magnum engine didn't have VVT as any '09+ 5.7 engine has. The VVT changes based on engine load and deceleration as well.

The 2019 has active exhaust and that system often is louder than the 392 engine

Reactions: nwooz1990

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Also 5 speed vs 8 speed autos with the gears farther apart.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have SPS a8 and I luv the pops and burbles on the deceleration. I drive my car in manual mode too. My car also has race bullets in place of mufflers. Maybe that's why.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2019 Challenger R/T, and was expecting the same results. I have taken off all mufflers and resonators, and left only the xpipe. When I drive in the sport mode or shiftable automatic, I am getting nothing close to the same sound. It only makes a fluttering/flapping sound while it is decelerating. Has anyone out there found a way to get that rumble with the Challenger? I understand how the rumble sound is made due to gasses still lingering after letting off the pedal, but I just cant seem to replicate the same thunderous sound I once had /forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_sad.png
one of the contributing factors is your Magnum engine didn't have VVT as any '09+ 5.7 engine has. The VVT changes based on engine load and deceleration as well.

The 2019 has active exhaust and that system often is louder than the 392 engine

I could have sworn the Magnum had the VVT, that’s why I drove in manual mode constantly because it sounded terrible going from 4-8 cylinders.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
Wouldn’t driving in manual in 1-3rd gear be pretty close whether it was 5 or 8 speed?
Still a bigger drop on downshift with the 5 speed. I can get a nice rumble with a twitch of the toe on the gas.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
VVT is Variable Valve Timing, not MDS (Multiple Displacement System) which disables 4 cylinders

A Guy

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have SPS a8 and I luv the pops and burbles on the deceleration. I drive my car in manual mode too. My car also has race bullets in place of mufflers. Maybe that's why.

Same here, Since i have had the Dynomax Bullets in i get much more crackles and pops then was stock on the SP that is. Very similar to the Camaro 2SS i had with deleted 2nd cats.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The difference is definitely not the vvt versus not. I have a built 13’ Challenger and just bought a 06’ Charger Daytona. Challenger is by far way louder but both give that loud de acceleration when coming to a stop. I never drive the Challenger in auto stick either so I wouldn’t put it on that.

My guess, as others have said, would be the transmission change from the 5 spd to 8. More gears it has to drop through. So instead of a long de acceleration and amazing sound, you get a sort of fluttering as it drops a number of gears spaced apart differently than what you may be used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
If you want decel pop you could adjust the tune so DFCO is disabled and let min timing be around -20ish degrees. That being said, on my RT M6, when I deleted the mid mufflers from the corsa exhaust it had a very health brrraaahhhhh when decelerating.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Replaced the mid mufflers with Dynomax mini race bullets on SP M6. Much deeper growl and cracks and pops downshifting and decelerating.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses. Might check out some tune routes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts