Dodge Challenger Forum banner

441 - 448 of 448 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,318 Posts
Harman Kardon was introduced on the 2012 Challenger. You may have had a Harman/Becker Nav head unit

2012 Model Year

D. Key Changes:

Active Damping Suspension, two mode (SRT)
Heated steering wheel (SRT)
Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters

900-watt 18-speaker Harman Kardon sound system

Ready Alert braking
Rain Brake Support

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
368 Posts
WAY far from a expert, but this system sucks.
2013 Ram Alpine sounds WAY better, My 2014 BMW X3 sounds INSANE way better.

BTW
MSRP is $1,095 for the 730n Uconnect, $1,995 for the HC system. Whole a lot of money wasted.
2014 SRT8

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,723 Posts
Whatever HK system I got was a result of ordering a NAV (wife insists on one) with my SRT. Even with the 2 bass speakers in the trunk, I agree it's not impressive. I'm more into a good midrange than heavy bass and the equalizer doesn't do a very good job of emphasizing one range over another. I'm never down on expecting a great stock sound system on the majority of cars out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whatever HK system I got was a result of ordering a NAV (wife insists on one) with my SRT. Even with the 2 bass speakers in the trunk, I agree it's not impressive. I'm more into a good midrange than heavy bass and the equalizer doesn't do a very good job of emphasizing one range over another. I'm never down on expecting a great stock sound system on the majority of cars out there.
I just finished filling out my survey for my '19 Chally. I am sure I will probably not get any satisfaction no matter what. They may replace sound system parts / hardware and probably even perform a firmware updates to the amp/uconnect system if needed, but I am sure that none of it will fix the issues. Anyway, here is what I told them.

I paid $1595 for the Karmon Hardon stereo upgrade. I wish I hadn't since I now need to spend additional money in aftermarket to correct the sound quality.

The stereo is very much out of balance. Some frequencies between bass and midtones are missing in the speaker output range. There are missing frequencies between the higher bass frequencies and lower midrange frequencies, those frequencies are not even emitted from the system which makes the music sound less full and somewhat hollow.

In an attempt to balance this, the equalizer has to be set to B:1 M:4, T:1 when counting the horizontal bars on the equalizer. This is pretty much the polar opposite of every stereo/equalizer setting I have set in my life. However, this still does not make up for the missing frequencies that aren't output in the first place.

Additionally, the fade/balance is off. In order to have a fully balanced sound throughout the cabin, I have to fade the sound 4 clicks to the rear speakers so that the front and rear speakers are balanced at the driver focal point and throughout the rest of the car.

Also, there is a distinct loudness difference depending on the source. When FM radio is output, the music is very loud, however, when an iPhone is the source and set at the same volume, the sound is very faint even when the iPhone volume is set to maximum, but the connect volume remains the same. For certain music which contains very soft frequencies, I have to set the volume on the uconnect to 38 to hear those soft points.

Succinctly, Harmon Kardon and Dodge need to take another pass at the stereo system in the car to make sure the full frequency range of the music is being emitted from the speakers and that the fade/balance of the speakers are not overpowered at the front of the car

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm the new owner of a mint condition very low mileage babied 2012 6.4L SRT8 with the HK premium system. I've driven the vehicle some 500 miles now. I'd consider myself an audiophile. I've listened to the HK system at nearly max or perhaps max levels and it sounds FANTASTIC. It's so good, typically play it at less than 1/2 volume. And besides, I like to listen to the engine anyway.

I read the negative HK reviews after committing to buy this car, and I was admittedly very worried as to what to expect. Either folks simply need to adjust settings, or got lemons and should demand replacements, or folks have unrealistic expectations. In my car, the system is so good and loud I cannot even listen to it on full volume levels. Clear vocals, guitar and symbols, excellent base listening to rock (ACDC, Poison, Motley Crue, etc.), metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, etc.), and rap (Run DMC, Rage Against the Machine, etc.). So far I haven't found a song that causes me to find the system lacking in any way.

So, dunno. Fiddle with the system or make them replace it with an identical set if it's demonstrably not working right. But the system itself is not lacking in my view.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
368 Posts
The OVER compression from some inputs (XM)is what makes it suck.

Will have to go back to CD's for this $3K option system

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm the new owner of a mint condition very low mileage babied 2012 6.4L SRT8 with the HK premium system. I've driven the vehicle some 500 miles now. I'd consider myself an audiophile. I've listened to the HK system at nearly max or perhaps max levels and it sounds FANTASTIC. It's so good, typically play it at less than 1/2 volume. And besides, I like to listen to the engine anyway.

I read the negative HK reviews after committing to buy this car, and I was admittedly very worried as to what to expect. Either folks simply need to adjust settings, or got lemons and should demand replacements, or folks have unrealistic expectations. In my car, the system is so good and loud I cannot even listen to it on full volume levels. Clear vocals, guitar and symbols, excellent base listening to rock (ACDC, Poison, Motley Crue, etc.), metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, etc.), and rap (Run DMC, Rage Against the Machine, etc.). So far I haven't found a song that causes me to find the system lacking in any way.

So, dunno. Fiddle with the system or make them replace it with an identical set if it's demonstrably not working right. But the system itself is not lacking in my view.
I’m not sure which HK system was used in 2012. Is the bass speaker behind the wheel well or where the spare is supposed to be? My 2010 SRT8 had the older system which in my opinion sounded better than the new system. The newer ones are using the spare tire area.

441 - 448 of 448 Posts