Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So went by the dealer that I purchased the old Dart from and spoke about the release.

My goal for the day was: were they excited and knowledgable about the coming release; drive something with the A8 and a 6M.
They were much better than the last dealer I talked to and I spent a good few hours there talking cars etc. I know both trans are different then what the HC will be sporting, but still wanted an idea of what has improved since last drives.

Currently will be one of the first called when order can be placed and they will not charge above MSRP period on a customer ordered car. They said when the C7 was launched a local dealer was charging 25k above and people paid it.... Sorry thats insanity and for a Vett...lmao!

So my take from an M5 owner: Handling has improved greatly and that is due to the IRS and improved tuning of the suspension. Night and day to the early models I had driven. It's still not at M levels, but due to the higher center of gravity and weight I could tolerate and I'm sure the HC will be better. The high-center and the weight is still going to limit the HC in role and composure thru a corner, but again I'm sure it will be much improved. It still won't touch an M stock to stock in tight twisties; before you get your flamethrowers out yes I know different purpose of car and I get it, but handling is a huge piece for me not just HP and numbers. In the end though I'm impressed at the advancement and composure they have instilled into the newer models. Great job....

A8 or M6 (again I know HC will be tuned and different from what I drove today):
A8 was driven in a Jeep; Wow is all I can say; in sport mode it is smooth and fast and is the best tranny I've driven in a Dodge product. I have a ZF in my 128i and I love it as well. Can still be dumb in some situations and not always connected to right foot as I would like; but for an auto wow. Great job here! Oh, and I taught the sales guy the multiple gear drop that can be had by holding the left lever. Thank good they fixed the paddle(s) as the last Mopar (years ago) with paddles had you pushing and pulling wtf who does that? Now that's all fixed! I'd still like the option of banging gears on the floor, but found out real quick there is no neutral lock-out so I slammed right into neutral on hard down shifts. This needs fixed IMO.

M6: Oh how I suck at the left pedal. Biggest problem is I'm used to where the BMW clutch is released compared to the Dodge; complete opposite. BMW is releasing just before mid stroke the Dodge is releasing at almost the top of the stroke. I know I could get use to; just not used to it.
Clutch could be a little firmer for my taste, but was smooth and as I was getting use to engagement point it is a good release!
Shifting is good, but I still don't understand what the point of making these transmissions feel notchy? I get it, that it's to make it feel old school and manly; but this was my number one complaint of the GT500. I'll take the feel of a smooth shift anytime over nostalgia. I can't imagine that the Viper M6 shifts like this as it's more suited for the track so will assume the HC will follow this. Not saying it was bad, but smooth speed shifting with the long throws and notchy engagement will not be done and if you say you do it you've never driven a short throw smooth shifting manual.

So the first decision: A or M; even though the A was so sweet and the level it will be at in the HC I still think I'm going manual assuming some feed back here. One: I know it should be a shorter throw than what I drove today, but is it? If you know and have driven the Viper M6 please let me know and I would prefer first hand experience. Two: please confirm that the Viper M6 is not heavily notchy during engagement?

No need to flame me on this either as I'm coming from a fabulous SMG that I love; I just want a third pedal again and at these speeds I really don't care about a few tenths. What will change my mind is final confirmed gear ratio's between the two as I don't want to be at 2,500 at 80mph.

Color: I'm coming from an unassuming sleeper (most on the street don't know or even notice the M5) this is what some dislike, but this is what I like. As after I hit xxx I drop into traffic and I'm ninja;) now most auto geeks spot me from miles and will some will come flying up to get a peek or try to challenge. That latter doesn't end well for most;) sorry getting to color; so in thinking to try to maintain some Ninja ability I'm thinking B5 or the darker silver (sorry don't know all the updated color lingo yet). B5 is what my '71 had so its a little nostalgic for me and I've always loved the color. If I go B5 I am thinking blacked out hood, but I'm still not sure on that. I have SG on the M now and love it, but I've always been partial to blue? Seems that it may be a rare color on the HC too from all the color combo's I've read so far. What opinion on B5 on the HC?

Interior even with the the B5 or silver the Dakota/brown will be what I will go with as I like the look and I want something different than black and red is just to much for me.

Well that about covers it other than will I truly pull the trigger and get rid of the M5. I know this is deep Mopar territory so don't suspect I'll get much support on keeping, but I'm telling you if you haven't experienced all your doing is speaking from ignorance. The M5 is a highly capable highly entertaining jail speed car. It's not a stop light to stop light car, but from 60mph there is not much on the street in stock form that can touch me and on the street in four years I have as of yet never been passed;) Side by side yes, but never been taken; from a light well to many to count just not geared for it.

Though it's an older car now I had just came from a C&C meet so had the M with me when I went to the dealer. After the drive the SA wanted to look at the car so I started and revved for him; about four sales guys came running out of the door to come listen. So though it's old it's still a capable respected unassuming car and I still love it! Even had a kid on the way home in a Mazda 3 hang is head out the window just to hear and see the car (so much for my ninja theory)!

Dealer also insisted that they drive (I was with) so they could maybe make me an offer for the trade. I know they most likely won't touch a private sale number, but I entertained them and if they come close with the number and an offset on some of the tax then I may consider a trade so I don't have the hassle.
What say you?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just watched this video again:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gpGdPIkSL3k?feature=oembed

The throws are still long and the shifts still look notchy; why do this I don't understand. The 6m guys are going to be wanting; well I guess if you're use to clunky shifts then it's all good; I don't think I could live with how horrid that looks.

I guess since first is so long and he basically is runny the track with three gears it won't matter much.

I want an 6M, but not sure I can live with this;(

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The long throws can/will be easily fixed with a short-throw shifter. I'm sure Hurst will be all over it. The current kit may even work. Won't fix the notchy shifts, but definitely shortens them.

The gear ratios in the M6 are not looking great for fuel economy and highway cruising (this is confirmed by the M6 having a $2100 gas-guzzler tax vs. $1700 for the A8, both included in MSRP). There is a specifications PDF out there (look in the General forum) that has the ratios.

In my current M6, @ 70mph I'm about 1500rpm. In my wife's A5, @ 70mph it's a little over 2000rpm. I think it will be flip-flopped for the 2015s, especially Hellcat.

Reactions: Killer-Bimmer

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How can you not - the Hellcat will make me miss it less because I am sure it will just pull and pull and pull

I really want both; believe me I'm trying to figure out how. My biggest issue is am out of space in the garage. I could sell the '69 Bronco; but that's not happening either.

I could sit on the side lines for a year wait until the '16, but I don't like watching from the side lines.

Grrrr I feel like a kid with a nickel trying to figure out the one piece of candy I can buy with it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I really want both; believe me I'm trying to figure out how. My biggest issue is am out of space in the garage. I could sell the '69 Bronco; but that's not happening either.

I could sit on the side lines for a year wait until the '16, but I don't like watching from the side lines.

Grrrr I feel like a kid with a nickel trying to figure out the one piece of candy I can buy with it!

Cheers!
This was a good time - it lasted about 2 year

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This was a good time - it lasted about 2 year

Very nice and IR too, very rare color!

But now you've made it worse as I think I would love to have the HC in B5 next to the SG M5!

Your pics do make my point though of how high the center of gravity is compared to the two cars. And wow look how big the Challenger is to the four door!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
Order one in Granite, with the Brass Monkey wheels and sepia interior. I saw one of those at PIR the other day.
It looks SWEET. This one does not have those wheels:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

Check the other Random Hellcat Media thread for photos of those wheels and interior combo.

Reactions: Killer-Bimmer

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
Just watched this video again:

Hot Laps around PIR in the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat - YouTube

The throws are still long and the shifts still look notchy; why do this I don't understand. The 6m guys are going to be wanting; well I guess if you're use to clunky shifts then it's all good; I don't think I could live with how horrid that looks.

I guess since first is so long and he basically is runny the track with three gears it won't matter much.

I want an 6M, but not sure I can live with this;(

Cheers!
Sure looked like a fun ride even with that shifter but you buy what you'll like.
A Barton shifter would cure that situation in 1 hour for a very well spent $499.
Unless I had a physical problem, I could never buy an automatic in a performance car.

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Order one in Granite, with the Brass Monkey wheels and sepia interior. I saw one of those at PIR the other day.
View attachment 251994

Check the other Random Hellcat Media thread for photos of those wheels and interior combo.
you just need to stop showing this car in that combo I'm going to end up divorced but to me that's the best color to blend in and draw attention :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

See now that's what I'm talking about:

Now I just need to find out how much I can get for my family so I can keep the M and have these two gray beasts in my garage:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

Cheers!

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Chally feels bigger than the M5 also but not necessarily in a bad way - just different. The M5 (with esc on) is more neutral than the Chally. With ESC on the Chally will lean towards under steer than over steer while the M5 with out ESC definitively leaned toward over steer.

By the way I am going B5 with a black satin hood and black satin wheels and Sepia interior.

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
The Chally feels bigger than the M5 also but not necessarily in a bad way - just different. The M5 (with esc on) is more neutral than the Chally. With ESC on the Chally will lean towards under steer than over steer while the M5 with out ESC definitively leaned toward over steer.

By the way I am going B5 with a black satin hood and black satin wheels and Sepia interior.
very nice choice and a different combination that interior is just so European in looks :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Very nice; is there somewhere I can see what options are available for the HC as everything is scattered, but no Configurator is up yet that I know of?

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.