Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for months for a company that is making the old school slotted mags. I know American Racinf is making the Ansen Sprint, but its not right. We need a deep dish look. I see this same queation posted all over the web. I would buy a set for a Challenger in a heart beat. You think somebody would make a nice 18" version of this

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Researched for over a year >this was my choice little bit of a compromise (they are 17's) but have the look.
I've pretty much given up on true old school deep dish or rims under 18" for the new Challenger, but those are BEAUTIFUL and do the trick for me! :SM120:
Details? Did you have to modify your front brakes to accommodate 17s?

·
Registered
104 Posts
old school slotted bonus

"added" old school bonus - now "chirps" 2nd gear in drive (autostick) vs. heritage 20"s (just annihilate 1st) :icon_smile:

·
Registered
104 Posts
old school

Had them rapid proto-typed with 3d imaging at MIT, Printed in 3d at Staples,then custom cut on water jet (thanks Foose!) .Just kidding! They are available from performancetireplus.com / aka hotrodhanks in Cali (great folks) thanks to my almost $800 leap of faith you could have them too (some kind Yahoo posted a review on their website with them on a 2009 Ram1500) -so with some carefull research I surmized they might fit!. They are 17x7 -6 offset.Clear the calipers on my R/T with almost a 1/4 inch to spare.They are however 5x114.3 pattern but fit like a glove (hub bore is slightly larger).Quality is very good (they also offer them polished) but I cant imagine them being any more shiney!.They also offer a 17x8-12 offset (7/8th inch more sticking out) I'm not confident they would clear the quarters.after going conservative with this set-up (started out buying 2010 charger rims for winter use only to find out dodge puts a huge bump up by the inner spokes so they hit the calipers on R/T) Had the tires & TPM sensors ( all new) so tried these and voila! got the look I was after.With 17x7 you could really put a huge (taller) tire out back if you wanted to. If you order you will have to sign a disclaimer (claim they dont list them for application lol!) but they do have Free shipping (bonus) -Enjoy all!

Attachments

·
Banned
274 Posts
Along with someone making those rims, tire manufacturers need to start making white tire lettering again, especially for us 20" guys. Somebody could make a killing, I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Found 'em. They're in Long Beach so reasonably local for me and the prices are very reasonable. I'm not crazy about the bolt pattern, but I'll add this to the stuff to look into file. 17" rims allow more sidewall, which is great, and I'm stoked that they fit an R/T. Size 17x7 HRH CLASSIC ALLOY SLT RIM - Wheels and Rims from Hot Rod HanksDiscount Tires, Wheels, and Rims for your Car, SUV, and Light Truck - Sale Items from Hot Rod Hanks

Thanks, vanishRT! :bigthumb:

I believed it for a second:
Had them rapid proto-typed with 3d imaging at MIT, Printed in 3d at Staples,then custom cut on water jet (thanks Foose!)
:lol:

ETA: I remember hearing conflicting points of views regarding bolt patterns, but the quick research I just did convinced me to pass on anything but 5x115. Irritatingly enough, all the rims I like (retro) seem to be in 5x114.5, 18" or 17". :slant:

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
slotted mags

Worried much about the same things.But I have to tell you the difference here in bolt pattern is miniscule (5x115 vs. 5x114.3) the difference may even be further absorbed by machining tolerance/production differences.With this conical seat wheel I experienced no resistance even when tightening lugs by hand (conical lug seat pretty much guarantees self centering if tightened properly in sequence).Tons of people seem to run this Ford pattern (114.3) on the Challenger with great success (at least up until now on the rear for drag slicks),these wheels are one of the few that fits the front of an R/T (Tirerack offers some wheels - but they are ugly) Perhaps if you had to run a Shank style mag instead of conical one, there might me some fitment issues, but I did'nt experience any here.I have over 25 years automotive experience and would not do something I thought questionable -especially on my own car.Drove tonight at a constant 85 plus mph -no vibration/centering issues-smooth as glass.Gotta love being able to make retro stying even more retro!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts

Vanish R/T... Are those photoshop photos or the real thing?
hmm.....something looks odd..
Got any more pics?
I think it's because that side of the car is in the shade. Without being able to see the tire, the wheel edge to fender gap looks even bigger than it already is. The old school style/size wheels look classic, but the new Challenger's wheel well design is much more open than the 70-74. I think that's what's throwing things off.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
^^^^
Those are not machined wheels. More polished or chrome.
you will never get a clear reflection with a machined wheel.
Also, I never seen a negative offset wheel on this car.
I hope I am wrong about all of this.

·
Registered
104 Posts
old school

Yes,it can handle a slightly negative offset because its a narrower rim.(belive me -I researched this extensively before commiting to purchase) If you use a wheel conversion calculator available on the web, comparing the Heritage 20's with positive offset to a 17x7 rim with -6 offset it really only moves the outer lip of the wheel by less than a 1/4 inch.I also tried the rear with a 5/16" hub spacer to see how far out the envelope could be pushed & with that they stick out pretty far and would probably rub and visually really did not look that much better to make it worthwhile to take the risk.To make it visually more pleasing and to create that old school fat rear /skinny front look popular in the 70's ( I think we all have done this-dont remember ever buying 4 rims all the same size!) I think just going with a slightly wider/taller tire on the rear with the same 17x7 rim would accomplish that.I remember a Hot Rod or Carcraft article that popularized this to make street rods look tubbed without going through the expense/hassle.As far a photo shopping I am not that computer savvy! .Believe me I tried! so I could see what this combo would really look like before I purchased them.Here is a photo of the "test fitting" the day I got them (sorry about dirty car! -but it is my commuter/daily driver) As far as the finish they are machined with a clear coat not polished or chrome.The quality/finish of these wheels is very good dispite that they say "made in china"They are however DOT certified and I found no flaws in the finish or castings.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think they look great on the car, now it needs raised white lettered tires or redlines to finish it off, are the heritage wheels for sale? if so PM me.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I think your car looks awesome with those wheels, vanishRT. The site says 'machined/clear coated', by the way, and the rims are just pure poetry to me. Just curious: what size tires are you running?

Otherwise the reason why I hesitate is that opinions tend to be 50/50 on the 5x114.3. Normally I wouldn't worry about slight fit discrepancies, and I know that many race on those (drag, not road course), but I drive hard, powering through corners, etc. and I want to trust my wheels on a heavy and powerful car. But I'm still in the spitballing phase and I may pay Hotrod Hank a visit in person when ready to replace tires & rims. I must say the waiver thing (and I know those things are purely legal) is not overly reassuring.

If 5x114.3 was acceptable, that would open up the options considerably: American Racing also has a number of nice vintage rims in 17" and with that pattern. At least thanks to you we have a concrete example of such a rim actually mounted on a Challenger without apparent issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
thanks

Having a "dish" to the wheel and a design other than a five spoke made me happy with my decision.I am still trying to get used to them visually after living with the 20's for so long. Smaller wheels really do however accentuate the chubby proportions of the challenger (sides very tall) especially in white .I am taking off the faded aftermarket R/T stripes soon and perhaps will go with a thicker darker mid-body stripe below the body line to help visually break up the sides of the car.Kind of hard to stay personalized and unique here on Long Island as there are plenty of challengers running around- (a "sweet" 392 lives a few doors down).Most seem to go with R/T side stripes or over the hood/roof/trunk rallye stripes.This stripe seems more retro (although not factory) and different.Thanks to all for the comments and questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are 215/65 17's that were on the charger rims I got (also 17x7 but did'nt clear calipers -charger has smaller calipers-go figure?).Overal height is very close to the Heritage with stock 20's.You could really stuff a much larger & taller tire in there as there is quite a bit of room in the wheel wells now with narrower rim.This would probably sacrifice some performance however with gear ratio change with taller tire (have 3:06 now).As far as 114.3 there really seems to be no issue with fit -perhaps also due to a particular wheels design (lug seat) .Performance tires waiver is because they offer 100% fitment guarantee as well as free shipping so if they dont list an application they cannot guarantee to fit you cant free ship them back.They will still sell you the wheels its just on you if they dont fit.There are probably quite a few 17" wheels that clear the calipers of an R/T out there but it is really based on wheel design or trail & error fitting which most of us dont have the luxury of doing.hence the leap of faith along with carefull research here -I got lucky

1 - 20 of 354 Posts