Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone rubbed my car in a parking garage... Any recommendations on the best option for me to self repair, simply don't have the $1k + to get it done "Right" at the moment. I want to be as light as possible with my "touch up" so as to not make more work for whomever repaints it when i can. Sanding, buffing, polishing... etc.

Thanks guys/gals.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Someone rubbed my car in a parking garage... Any recommendations on the best option for me to self repair, simply don't have the $1k + to get it done "Right" at the moment. I want to be as light as possible with my "touch up" so as to not make more work for whomever repaints it when i can. Sanding, buffing, polishing... etc.

Thanks guys/gals.
Had this done to my car, so I was going to try using Dr. Colorchip possibly this weekend to see what the end result would be.

I'll post here again once I've actually done it.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is sadly much worse... :(

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does it catch your fingernails? If not then a good rubbing compound with a medium to hard pad will take care of that . Follow with polish and your choice of wax/sealant.

If it does catch your fingernails you can try light sanding with a color match pen

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it catch your fingernails? If not then a good rubbing compound with a medium to hard pad will take care of that . Follow with polish and your choice of wax/sealant.

If it does catch your fingernails you can try light sanding with a color match pen

Yeah, it is pretty deep, through the clear... very tactile to the nails.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If your trying to save money then the best you can do is buy a scratch repair pen with clear coat. Fill in the scratches sand them down to be level or close enough,use clear coat pen. Wait a month or so fully cute and protect it.

Here's a tip when u fill in the scratches don't brush the color on, instead blot just enough have few toothpicks to help spread the paint, take your time.

Good luck ?

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,462 Posts
The suggestions given are all good ones. I would be concerned about making it look worse than it does now though. By worse, I mean making it look worse with blotchy application of touch up paint. I don't think you can hurt it for the upcoming repair efforts though. If it were my car, I would try to minimize what you have by doing the light buffing and polish and then see how it "improves." Maybe you could take it by a detailer and see what they would be able to do for you? Sorry this happened to you. These things draw your eye first every time you look at the car.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Start as least aggressive as you can. Try Meguiers Scratch-X, and go from there. You may be able to live with the results for now, until you can have it fixed for good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd take it to a good detail shop and have them do the best they can with some clear and wet sanding. Might be 100.00 but probably worth the money to have it done professionally. Otherwise, some clear fingernail polish (lacquer) will make most of it disappear. Just brush it in line with the scratches and let it dry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts