Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392 MT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an issue right now with water spots. Had my vehicle delivered this past weekend. I noticed the spots previously but did not realize how bad they were. Any recommendations for spots on the vinyl? Also hard water spots on the hood and trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,025 Posts
Pics?

I have never tried to remove them from vinyl, but the ones on the paint will require a light polish to remove. Megs ScratchX, Megs Plastic Polish, Turtle Wax liquid or paste polish (not compound!), Megs Ultimate Polish. Any of those are strong enough to remove the spots but not too harsh to mar the clear coat and require further polishing to clean up.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Tried uploading the pics a few times. Let me give it another go. Purchased the Chemical Guys WSR hopefully that will assist.
I haven’t used that particular product, but if it’s like the other water spot removers i have used, it will likely work with plenty of elbow grease.

Those water spot removers are just very light polishes. So light in fact, that it’s virtually impossible to harm the paint if used according to the directions (applied by hand only; no machine application). However, the fact that they are a very mild polish combined with only the force your arm can provide to apply it means anything but the freshest of fresh water spots will be very difficult to remove.

So if the water spots you’re targeting have been there a while, you may find this product (when applied by hand) is unable to completely remove them.

If that is the case, I would say grab one of those 3” wax spreaders from the local Walmart or Autozone, and use it (along with a cloth terry bonnet) to attack those spots with the WSR. I believe they are called orbital buffers on the box, but whatever their name is, they are relatively cheap (~$25) and do not have enough torque to do much actual polishing (hence their nickname - wax spreaders). But one of those might be the perfect tool for stubborn water spots when using a WSR.

Make several short passes back and forth over the spots, check progress, repeat as necessary, being sure to swap out bonnet when caked with product and no longer doing any polishing. That would be my approach if those spots won’t come up with elbow grease alone. It’s safe, easy, and virtually impossible to harm the paint employing that approach.

Now, if you already have a machine polisher (DA or random orbital), you can use that to make quick work of any stubborn spots. But if you don’t, that’s a lot of money to lay out just to get rid of some water spots. Hence my suggestion to grab a wax spreader instead...

Reactions: gvwalkerjr

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392 MT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually just got my Chemical Guys WSR in the mail. Tried a few options. This remover worked within seconds. Definitely now a Chemical Guys fan!!! Wish I could get the before and afters to post.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
I have some water spots on my vinyl wrapped hood. I read that vinegar works. I was thinking of mixing some with distilled water and trying it.
the vinegar and water mixture works on paint AFAIK, but I don’t know what effect, if any, it would have on the vinyl wrap. Best to research that or test on an inconspicuous spot first for sure.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
The hood I am worried about also. Has the factory racing strips. I'd hate to pull that completely off.
If it were mine, I think I would try one of those mild tire and whee cleaning spray foams on the vinyl. Armor All has one, so does Oxy-Clean. Both spray on as white foam and turn blue shortly thereafter.

They don’t do a lot to a dirty tire or wheel, but they might be just enough to clean the vinyl without harming it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts