Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've basically been running open catless headers for years, cutouts wide open, straight pipes with no mufflers or resonators. I love the sound, it's crazy loud, but my gf hates to ride in my car because it's hurts her ears (yeah I agree, hearing is for *******), so I'm trying to figure out what would be the absolute loudest and deepest mufflers I could get that would sound great with the cutouts closed. I don't want something that's only a hollow tube like the slp loudmouth, I just want to tone down the high notes and have a very deep, loud sound. My car used to have Magnaflows, they're just too quiet for me. I've read about sweet thunders, but would they sound good with no cats or resonators?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Check out BLACK WIDOW mufflers.
Do a search on YOUTUBE.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Super 10s are your best bet. I've had many setups on my 3 challengers. For deep old school sound flowmaster super 10. Esp if you have a newer rt. 16-17.

I have 40s on my 16 rt and it's too quiet. I've had thrush welded on both my other RTs and they sounded more aggressive than these 40s. 8 speed auto changes that. I had super 10s on my '10 RT and I thought they were obnoxious without that old school sound. That was an A5.

With this A8 I feel you're running at lower rpm so the super 10 won't be obnoxious loud just to be loud like the A5

2016 Plum Crazy Purple RT Plus

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Super 10s are your best bet. I've had many setups on my 3 challengers. For deep old school sound flowmaster super 10. Esp if you have a newer rt. 16-17.

I have 40s on my 16 rt and it's too quiet. I've had thrush welded on both my other RTs and they sounded more aggressive than these 40s. 8 speed auto changes that. I had super 10s on my '10 RT and I thought they were obnoxious without that old school sound. That was an A5.

With this A8 I feel you're running at lower rpm so the super 10 won't be obnoxious loud just to be loud like the A5

Mine is a 2010 a5, the 3.90 gears keep the rpms in the 2k-2500k at all times. I have no cats, no resonators, just 1 7/8 headers going through straight pipe. Think the Super 10's would refine the sound a little? The straight pipe sounds like crap if if l close the 3" cutouts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Flowmaster Outlaws, or WARLOCKS are nasty loud. I had Warlocks on a old 5.0 Mustang - very loud. not sure where to get them anymore. Google search may bring them up. I have the Super 10s on my car, they are about 30% louder than stock.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've basically been running open catless headers for years, cutouts wide open, straight pipes with no mufflers or resonators. I love the sound, it's crazy loud, but my gf hates to ride in my car because it's hurts her ears (yeah I agree, hearing is for *******), so I'm trying to figure out what would be the absolute loudest and deepest mufflers I could get that would sound great with the cutouts closed. I don't want something that's only a hollow tube like the slp loudmouth, I just want to tone down the high notes and have a very deep, loud sound. My car used to have Magnaflows, they're just too quiet for me. I've read about sweet thunders, but would they sound good with no cats or resonators?

Here you go

https://youtu.be/-9AUlY87TWs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
759 Posts
OP, do you dump your exhaust underneath the car or out the back? If it is underneath, thats why. Think about straight piping to the rear of the car and it will be significantly less loud in the cabin. I dump my straight pipes just in front of the rear tires (like the old school T/As) and its still really loud my girlfriend and I both love it (although she is used to her dads crazy loud nova lol). If you are still thinking of doing mufflers, consider doing a very short glasspack style muffler. it will quiet it down but still be nice and loud for a driver. Shorter glasspack equals louder but you can get longer glasspacks for a quieter ride.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP, do you dump your exhaust underneath the car or out the back? If it is underneath, thats why. Think about straight piping to the rear of the car and it will be significantly less loud in the cabin. I dump my straight pipes just in front of the rear tires (like the old school T/As) and its still really loud my girlfriend and I both love it (although she is used to her dads crazy loud nova lol). If you are still thinking of doing mufflers, consider doing a very short glasspack style muffler. it will quiet it down but still be nice and loud for a driver. Shorter glasspack equals louder but you can get longer glasspacks for a quieter ride.
I've got two 3" open cutouts angled toward the ground under the front seats, and the pipes out the back are wide open. It's crazy loud, especially with my catless 1 7/8 longtubes and Comp 274 cam haha I decided to cap my cutouts just to see what it sounded like since the Comp 274 just went in last week, and surprisingly it sounds damn good just straight piped out the back! Sounded like sh-t with the factory cam, very raspy, but with the Comp 274 sounds badass out the back with straight pipes. Waaaaay more badass with the cutouts wide open too, but I lose a lot of power with them wide open. Stuff would fall off shelves in my garage when I'd pull in with the cutouts wide open, it's loud. Like big block shake the windows loud. Love it

Is there a muffler out there that will actually magnify a deep exhaust note?

·
Registered
759 Posts
So being straight piped out the back won't work for you then?
Yeah before I set my exhaust system up, my cutouts would set off multiple car alarms on my girlfriends college campus haha. I tend to like my cars more loud and "natural" than given a different note via a muffler. If you like the more natural sound of your motor and just want it quieter, glasspack style mufflers are the way to go. They won't exaggerate the exhaust note, they won't really change it either. They just make it "quieter". See to me, 99% of mufflers sound terrible at idle because they are so quiet and only get loud at throttle. The ones that are "loud" at idle significantly alter the sound of the motor which I don't like. Glasspacks stay loud at idle and are loud at throttle but they quiet the over all sound. Glasspacks are like turning the volume on the radio down vs mufflers which are like altering the bass, treble, balance etc. of your sound system. Just pick a certain length for your loudness that you want and you have a quieter "straight pipe".

To each their own.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I say keep what you got and dump your girlfriend and get a real Mopar girl! You only live once my friend and anyone who complains about the sweet sound of the Hemi either with open headers or loud muffler's well I hate to break it to you but it ain't going to work. Been there done that. Sorry. More fish in the sea I promise! I'm about ready to toss another one back myself at my age (63). Next time she says one word about my 850 HP "Orange Flame" being to loud, well let's just say she will be walking home and it will not be to my house. Sorry for the rant but just the way I feel. These motors are built to be like a good Lab dog. It's one purpose in life is to please you. Good luck and don't be a whipped puppy!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The more I drive it without the cutouts open, the more I notice that sh-tty flap sound at certain rpms.. I think I'll add a couple 18" sweet thunders and call it a day.

·
Registered
153 Posts
SLP Loud Mouths or DynaMax Mini Bullets with reso delete. I had flowmaster super 40's with no reso that sounded pretty good too.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mine is a 2010 a5, the 3.90 gears keep the rpms in the 2k-2500k at all times. I have no cats, no resonators, just 1 7/8 headers going through straight pipe. Think the Super 10's would refine the sound a little? The straight pipe sounds like crap if if l close the 3" cutouts.

You're obviously trying to not restrict anything. I think super 10s will add much more bass to your setup

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're obviously trying to not restrict anything. I think super 10s will add much more bass to your setup

Think they'd sound as good as sweet thunders? I can get a hell of a deal on a couple super 10's

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Lol, your wife call you what now? I knew somebody would mention to just dump the girlfriend lol. I'm not sure about glass packs though, I put some on one of my old 70's Trans-Ams I had back in the day and it made the car sound like an old pick-up truck!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts