Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minor Rant,

Ever since I bought a 5.7 Challenger R/T plus, most of the comments I get are... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?". Some of you all might be going through the same thing so I will try to clear up a couple of things.
- Price difference after rebates is about 4-5k plus Gas Tax which is 1kish. Sure it looks like a small amount but that is not the only factor.
-Mandatory Premium gas which is about 100ish extra a month to keep that tank full.
-Insurance: In most cases you are looking in almost 100-200 avg of monthly increase.(for where I live was 137 extra jump from R/T).
This are just a few extra costs to own it.This all adds up to an aprox.increase of $200-$300extra on top of a regular R/T monthly cost of ownership. For some it is chump change but for the average people it is a hefty increase on what an R/T would cost to own. Plus lets be realistic... unless you are a dedicated track person, when would you ever use your full 485hp? Maybe like 10% of the time. And even then why stop at a Scat? Just get a Hellcat?
Main thing of this is to try and stop the whole , "Why not get a Scat?". If people are happy with what they got and worked hard for a V8, then just be chill about it and hit them with a "congrats bro". Some people here feel the need to stroke their ego to the max lol. Rant / out :)
PS. After owning a 2004 Camry, finally got my2019 R/T plus and it feels quick and sounds amazing!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,208 Posts
Minor Rant,

Ever since I bought a 5.7 Challenger R/T plus, most of the comments I get are... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?". Some of you all might be going through the same thing so I will try to clear up a couple of things.
- Price difference after rebates is about 4-5k plus Gas Tax which is 1kish. Sure it looks like a small amount but that is not the only factor.
-Mandatory Premium gas which is about 100ish extra a month to keep that tank full.
-Insurance: In most cases you are looking in almost 100-200 avg of monthly increase.(for where I live was 137 extra jump from R/T).
This are just a few extra costs to own it.This all adds up to an aprox.increase of $200-$300extra on top of a regular R/T monthly cost of ownership. For some it is chump change but for the average people it is a hefty increase on what an R/T would cost to own. Plus lets be realistic... unless you are a dedicated track person, when would you ever use your full 485hp? Maybe like 10% of the time. And even then why stop at a Scat? Just get a Hellcat?
Main thing of this is to try and stop the whole , "Why not get a Scat?". If people are happy with what they got and worked hard for a V8, then just be chill about it and hit them with a "congrats bro". Some people here feel the need to stroke their ego to the max lol. Rant / out :)
PS. After owning a 2004 Camry, finally got my2019 R/T plus and it feels quick and sounds amazing!
Yep, that is why my 2006 and 2015 were 5.7, and while it seems like a cop out saying a 5.7 is "Good enough" it really is "Good enough" It is "Good!" and it is "Enough". 6.1s, then 6.4s then Hellcats are "Better" no doubt. Just like a 5.7 is "Better" than a 3.5/3.6.
For me I got the 5.7, because it was Good Enough, and Price, and yes, Insurance as well, and Gas costs (premium and actual MPG) But with the A8, no gas Guzzler tax.
Oh and also, W.A.F. that changed, so I got a Scat Pack! (the real reason)
Happy Wife, Happy Life is BS! UNHAPPY Wife, Unhappy Life is a FACT!

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,205 Posts
The 5.7 is much better than "good enough". It is an extremely strong, proven engine. As for me, I have a problem with the mod monkey, and because of it, my Shaker will blow the doors off of a Scat Pack and Hellcat owners may not want to be embarrassed by me either.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Minor Rant,

Some folks are just fools.

That said, I don't understand the need to justify why I bought what I did to anyone, more less a fool running off their mouth.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
155 Posts
I got the 5.7 because mine is still a daily driver and I commute about 80 miles per day. Also I can’t afford the SRT. If I had a bunch of extra money laying around and didn’t have the commute, I’d go for the bigger engines. That being said, I almost went with the 3.6 instead. To each their own, everyone has their own reasons.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,883 Posts
Why not a SXT? :D

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,874 Posts
Most of the people that use to say the same thing to me, were driving 4-cylinder, eco-boxes and I was like why did you buy that??? lol These days, with the insane weather in New England, I hardly ever drive one of my Challengers or my Mustang. Just my eco-friendly suv.....sigh....

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Why not a SXT? :D

A Guy
Because I have had old small blocks, old Big Blocks, 4 cylinders, slant sixes and V-6s but I NEVER had a Hemi. I always wanted a '71 Hemi 'Cuda and the new Challenger is about as close to that that I can afford. This was my dream car growing up, I swore if I ever got my hands on it, I would make it streetable. When I was in high school in the 80's and Pro Street was the thing, I just figured find an old Pro Stocker and make it a Daily Driver. I would still love to do that today, either a retired pro stock or a retired NASCAR Daytona or Superbird would make an awesome weekend cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,883 Posts
Because I have had old small blocks, old Big Blocks, 4 cylinders, slant sixes and V-6s but I NEVER had a Hemi. I always wanted a '71 Hemi 'Cuda and the new Challenger is about as close to that that I can afford. This was my dream car growing up, I swore if I ever got my hands on it, I would make it streetable. When I was in high school in the 80's and Pro Street was the thing, I just figured find an old Pro Stocker and make it a Daily Driver. I would still love to do that today, either a retired pro stock or a retired NASCAR Daytona or Superbird would make an awesome weekend cruiser.

I was referring to original post ... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?".

A Guy :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've had two 5.7L in the past. One auto and one 6 speed and now a Scat Pack Shaker. Besides the HP difference, IMO the 5.7L is an awesome choice for a daily performance driver. I went to the Scat Pack Shaker because I wanted a bit more HP and the Shaker. Honestly if the Hellcat had a shaker I would have most likely went with that. So in the end iI went with a bit more HP and Shaker...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I've had two 5.7L in the past. One auto and one 6 speed and now a Scat Pack Shaker. Besides the HP difference, IMO the 5.7L is an awesome choice for a daily performance driver. I went to the Scat Pack Shaker because I wanted a bit more HP and the Shaker. Honestly if the Hellcat had a shaker I would have most likely went with that. So in the end iI went with a bit more HP and Shaker...
I'm the same as you. I was looking for a 392 in 2014 when I saw the Shaker, which as only available with the 5.7. The engine no longer mattered, and I bought the Shaker, knowing that the 5.7 was strong enough to make it do what I want. I knew this because I have a 2004 Ram with the 5.7, and I have a friend who built his 5.7 Ram into a 10 second truck that he used to run at Firebird (now Wild Horse) in Phoenix all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,348 Posts
Every complaint or knock against the 5.7L I have heard all revolve around it being too slow or not as fast as <some other car>.

a) I don’t race other cars, so how fast my car is in relation to others is irrelevant. I’m sure plenty of other cars could beat me in a race. Too bad they’ll never get the chance to show off and try it.

b) the 5.7L comes in a car, with a transmission and rear-end. If there is a complaint to be lodged, perhaps lodge it against the folks that saddled the 5.7L with too much weight and/or the wrong gearing to transfer its power to the road.

The 5.7L is a fine engine. Make it have to move around 500-1000 lbs of dead weight more than other cars on the road and it should be expected it will have trouble out accelerating them.

Physics - it just can’t be beat...except in the quantum realm, but we ain’t in the quantum realm (yet), so no need to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
5.7 is an amazing motor. Has good potential for swapping into lighter/smaller cars. Ive thought about putting one into an older mid 80’s mercedes 190 or even an SL. All for a motor that can be had for about $1,500 from any junk yard. Hell ive even seen them for less

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Every complaint or knock against the 5.7L I have heard all revolve around it being too slow or not as fast as <some other car>.

a) I don’t race other cars, so how fast my car is in relation to others is irrelevant. I’m sure plenty of other cars could beat me in a race. Too bad they’ll never get the chance to show off and try it.

b) the 5.7L comes in a car, with a transmission and rear-end. If there is a complaint to be lodged, perhaps lodge it against the folks that saddled the 5.7L with too much weight and/or the wrong gearing to transfer its power to the road.

The 5.7L is a fine engine. Make it have to move around 500-1000 lbs of dead weight more than other cars on the road and it should be expected it will have trouble out accelerating them.

Physics - it just can’t be beat...except in the quantum realm, but we ain’t in the quantum realm (yet), so no need to worry about that.
Did you get that flux capacitor installed in your Charger yet?

·
Premium Member
5,348 Posts
Did you get that flux capacitor installed in your Charger yet?
I keep trying to buy this one to put on my car, but they keep telling me it’s not for sale.

If it ain’t for sale, why is it on the website alongside the other merchandise that is for sale???

·
Premium Member
5,348 Posts
5.7 is an amazing motor. Has good potential for swapping into lighter/smaller cars. Ive thought about putting one into an older mid 80’s mercedes 190 or even an SL. All for a motor that can be had for about $1,500 from any junk yard. Hell ive even seen them for less
Along those same lines, I love it when someone trots out the old trope about a V6 Camaro being faster than a 5.7L Hemi Challenger/Charger. I guess the implication is that the Chevy V6 is ”faster“ than a Dodge 5.7L.

Alright fine, I’ll bite. If that’s the case, it should hold true regardless of platform, right?

So tell me, would a Dodge Challenger/Charger with the Chevy V6 still be faster than a 5.7L Hemi powered Camaro?

If the asinine assertion about the 5.7L somehow being inadequate is true, the platform It’s in shouldn’t matter, right?

I don’t know who would win in a drag race between a V6 Camaro and a 5.7L Challenger/Charger. But if the larger engine’s car does not win, then it’s likely something to do with the car, not the engine.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts