Dodge Challenger Forum banner

241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yeah but i wouldnt want a Corvette unless it is from the seventies, ...even if it is slower with that 350. Just much better looking IMO than todays Vettes'
I saw a mint condition, convertible Corvette from 1959 yesterday, it was beautiful! I like them all but I do disagree I think the last 5 years of Vettes are gorgeous and rival Lambo’s and Ferrari’s in the looks department. I’d take a C8 in a heart beat if I could afford it as a 2nd car lol.

Reactions: Goherd14

·
Registered
924 Posts
I never feel the need to defend 5.7 owners...

A Guy
Nobody should ever feel the need to defend anything they choose. I drove a V6 Camaro for 5 years. I heard, “why a V6? Why an automatic?”

I just said, “because it’s what I wanted,” and that was the end of it and I enjoyed every second of driving those 2 cars, they were an absolute blast.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
376 Posts
I saw a mint condition, convertible Corvette from 1959 yesterday, it was beautiful! I like them all but I do disagree I think the last 5 years of Vettes are gorgeous and rival Lambo’s and Ferrari’s in the looks department. I’d take a C8 in a heart beat if I could afford it as a 2nd car lol.
Yeah but see thats the problem for me, ..... i dont like the looks of Ferrari's either. I wouldnt buy one.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yeah but see thats the problem for me, ..... i dont like the looks of Ferrari's either. I wouldnt buy one.
Me either, they’re over priced but I’d take one obviously and of course I say this because i can’t afford one. I still love their looks but that’s all personal preference, I like a lot of cars. I’m in my 30’s so there’s no brand loyalty for me, I didn’t grow up in the Ford Vs Chevy Vs Mopar days.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Destroy it how, in a quarter mile drag race? Hardly a practicality many folks encounter very often.

Put the vette in a much more realistic scenario, and it’s advantages over the Challenger fade pretty quickly.

For example:
  • you heard on the news that the cops are looking into who’s been disappearing prostitutes in the red light district.
  • you decide to relocate the 3 hooker corpses you have decomposing in your crawl space from there out to the rock quarry.
  • you own a vette and a Challenger, which one to use for hauling the bodies quickly and efficiently??
Sure, the vette might make thetrip to the quarry and back in less time than the scat Challenger, but you’ll have to make 3 trips to get rid of the 3 bodies.

Whereas you’ll only have to make 1 trip with the Challenger, and no matter how much faster the vette is, it can’t make 3 trips in the same time it takes the Challenger to make 1.
I was thinking more of a figure "8" type race.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you like your car who cares? That’s why I don’t get the purpose of this thread? If you’re happy, what are you defending? Why do you even care? My Scat Pack is very powerful and painfully slow in comparison because it’s fat, that’s just the truth about my car but I wouldn’t be offended if someone told me that. A stock C8 corvette would demolish my car with only 5 more horsepower for not much more money.
My neighbor had a 2017 Vette and he ran it against my (then) 2017 Scat Pack A8. He couldn't pass me from a dig until 120mph which would have probably been more than a 1/4 mile. Now on the curvy roads.... I used to rub it in that his fancy Vette couldn't pass my Dodge.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My neighbor had a 2017 Vette and he ran it against my (then) 2017 Scat Pack A8. He couldn't pass me from a dig until 120mph which would have probably been more than a 1/4 mile. Now on the curvy roads.... I used to rub it in that his fancy Vette couldn't pass my Dodge.
Not trying to be a dick but I’m going to call massive amounts of total B-shhh on this. There’s no way your 4,200 pound scat pack beat a 3,300 pound C7 Corvette from a dig because it’s just not possible.

That corvette will go 0-60 in 3.6 and run a 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds. A 1320 can’t even hit 0-60 in 3.6 seconds as it’s been tested to hit 3.8 seconds and an 11.7 second 1/4 mile. A standard scat pack is somewhere around 12.4-12.6.

Your neighbor either is the worst driver in history or he he’s a manly man with a manly manual that he doesn’t know how to drive.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Not trying to be a dick but I’m going to call massive amounts of total B-shhh on this. There’s no way your 4,200 pound scat pack beat a 3,300 pound C7 Corvette from a dig because it’s just not possible.

That corvette will go 0-60 in 3.6 and run a 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds. A 1320 can’t even hit 0-60 in 3.6 seconds as it’s been tested to hit 3.8 seconds and an 11.7 second 1/4 mile. A standard scat pack is somewhere around 12.4-12.6.

Your neighbor either is the worst driver in history or he he’s a manly man with a manly manual that he doesn’t know how to drive.
No, it's true. I have no reason to lie. I will humor you and provide some context though. His was a
manual transmission which is a 3.9 sec car in the Grand Sport model which is a touch faster than his Stingray. This is with a
professional driver (which he is not) and mine was an A8 which is a low 4 second car (0-60). The standard Sting Ray manual is also a low 4 second car which means we're talking nearly equal performance until you hit triple digits. We ran them several times from a roll and once from a dead stop. The cars ran about equal with him never pulling on me until about 120mph as stated before. This is consistent with some of the guys who run their Scat Packs at the track. The Vettes really come on strong after about 110mph. You don't have to believe me but I was there and as said before, I have nothing to gain by lying about it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
No, it's true. I have no reason to lie. I will humor you and provide some context though. His was a
manual transmission which is a 3.9 sec car in the Grand Sport model which is a touch faster than his Stingray. This is with a
professional driver (which he is not) and mine was an A8 which is a low 4 second car (0-60). The standard Sting Ray manual is also a low 4 second car which means we're talking nearly equal performance until you hit triple digits. We ran them several times from a roll and once from a dead stop. The cars ran about equal with him never pulling on me until about 120mph as stated before. This is consistent with some of the guys who run their Scat Packs at the track. The Vettes really come on strong after about 110mph. You don't have to believe me but I was there and as said before, I have nothing to gain by lying about it.
Lol well you said from a dig originally not from a roll. I am mistaken and the Internet has too much crap, the standard stingray is closer to 4.2 and 12.2 so you would be correct on what you said. I guess they are more comparable than I thought which makes no sense because the power difference is minimal and the weight difference is huge. My brothers father in law lives next to my neighborhood on land and has a 2017 Stingray, I’ll have to see if I can knock him down a peg or two lol.

I think the new C8 is like 2.8 second 0-60 which is insane.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,198 Posts
Coming from 10 years and 163k miles in a 2010 R/T the 345 is a fine motor that doesn't need defending. It's a fine, dependable motor with decent power. I had a Flowmaster cat back, Predator tuner set to the 93 tune and MDS off, 2011 up long IAT sensor (2010's are short), K&N CAI, all of which wake it up. I only felt outgunned by two cars in all that time, my buddies 2013 SRT Charger and 2015 Mustang Shelby. Hell the little 345 would run with the original Challenger 383's and 440's stock for stock. I now have a 2016 Scat Pack and I really like it. The 392 A8 combo makes for a fun, seductive beast. Truth be told tho, the old 2010 was a better daily driver. It was more comfortable, had more interior room, and a smoother ride.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Lol well you said from a dig originally not from a roll. I am mistaken and the Internet has too much crap, the standard stingray is closer to 4.2 and 12.2 so you would be correct on what you said. I guess they are more comparable than I thought which makes no sense because the power difference is minimal and the weight difference is huge. My brothers father in law lives next to my neighborhood on land and has a 2017 Stingray, I’ll have to see if I can knock him down a peg or two lol.

Yeah I also said from a dead stop (dig) in my last post too. We did several from a roll and once from a stop light. I was suprised too because I didn't realize how close they would be. Then one of the guys on this forum (EricG) who takes his SP to the track a lot told me that I should be able to keep up until the higher speeds and he was right. The Vette has 455hp and we have 485hp to help a little bit with all of our added weight. It was just for fun and we had a blast running them.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,957 Posts

Bon Appétit

A Guy :D

·
Registered
924 Posts
Im a vegan. 😉

To be fair who buys a bare bones stingray in manual with zero options? That’s the perfect storm for the slowest corvette you can get. Although to be fair i suppose Z51 is almost like skimping out on the wide body on a Challenger ☹. I still stand my ground that the C7 corvettes are faster, because they are. The Z51 versions are all faster than scat packs and these new C8s are ridiculous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just read this entire thread. I owned a 5.7 Challenger and I had to keep constantly defending it. Not with anyone else but just with myself. It drove me so crazy that I eventually traded it in on a vette. Not only did I hate the vette (only kept it 1 year) it didn't feel any faster. So I traded in my vette on a built monster Shelby GT500. Now I can pound my chest all I want but in the end the Challenger gave me more enjoyment. It was better looking and more fun to drive. Don't make the same mistake that I did. I wish I still had my 5.7 Hemi Challenger.

·
Registered
2018 PCP Challenger Scat Pack w/dynamics
124 Posts
It never ends, no matter what trim you own. Own a sxt, why not an r/t? Own a r/t, why not a scat pack or srt. Own a scat pack or srt, why not the hellcat? Own a hellcat, why not the red eye? Own a red eye, why not the demon? Own a demon, why not a lambo?? Lolol, it is what it is.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,198 Posts
There is ALWAYS someone faster... None are cooler or as true to the original as the Challenger. I don't care which version you have, they are sexy beasts!!! I drove a yellow 2018 SXT loaner for a week last year and actually enjoyed it. It had decent power for a "lowly" v6 and it rode great. I especially liked the 26.8 mpg on my 350 mile weekly drive.

·
Registered
2018 PCP Challenger Scat Pack w/dynamics
124 Posts
There is ALWAYS someone faster... None are cooler or as true to the original as the Challenger. I don't care which version you have, they are sexy beasts!!!
agreed. Makes me think of a kid in highschool who was just a jealous sap. My dad just got his r8 and the kid said “dude that car isn’t even that fast, my friend has a 1200 hp farm truck that would smoke that car”. Cool story bro, but it’s still a farm truck LOL. You’re gonna pull up to a nice restraunt in a 1200 hp farm truck? people who say that kinda stuff are just jealous losers. Appreciate cars for what they are. I didn’t buy my challenger to make 1500 hp and smoke everyone on the drag strip. I want something that’s sexy, sounds like a beast, and has that classic muscle car appearance. Not everyone is looking to street race / hit the drag strip. I think a lot of people forget that.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Not everyone is looking to street race / hit the drag strip. I think a lot of people forget that.
Totally agree. I never defend my 345 hemi, I don't track it regularly and it's more than enough on the twisty two lane roads of S. Indiana. It's just a lot of fun to drive.

241 - 260 of 274 Posts