261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,470 Posts
It's usually "Is that a Hellcat?"

"No"

The end, lol

I advertise it's a SXT on my license plate. Feel free to rev your engine at me, sounds good (y)

A Guy :D

Reactions: Cactus Bob

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
270 Posts
I just got through reading most of this thread and i have to admit its been interesting and equally entertaining.
Personally I think anyone who would try and make someone else second guess their decision making process is very immature and jealous.
Be yourself and drive what makes sense to you!
I really dont believe the Dodge Challenger (at any trim level) is a car that needs defending.

2015 R/T Plus 345 cu in A8. Yeah buddy! 🥰

·
Registered
23 Posts
On top of the "why not a hellcat?", I notice everybody is a stoplight bandit when I'm in the Challenger. I let them win mostly, I guess their egos need a boost.

·
Registered
957 Posts
On top of the "why not a hellcat?", I notice everybody is a stoplight bandit when I'm in the Challenger. I let them win mostly, I guess their egos need a boost.
This happens everywhere to all vehicles, people try to race me in my 2007 Ford Econoline work van. People are just dumb.

Reactions: IMadeYouReadThis

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
Minor Rant,

Ever since I bought a 5.7 Challenger R/T plus, most of the comments I get are... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?". Some of you all might be going through the same thing so I will try to clear up a couple of things.
- Price difference after rebates is about 4-5k plus Gas Tax which is 1kish. Sure it looks like a small amount but that is not the only factor.
-Mandatory Premium gas which is about 100ish extra a month to keep that tank full.
-Insurance: In most cases you are looking in almost 100-200 avg of monthly increase.(for where I live was 137 extra jump from R/T).
This are just a few extra costs to own it.This all adds up to an aprox.increase of $200-$300extra on top of a regular R/T monthly cost of ownership. For some it is chump change but for the average people it is a hefty increase on what an R/T would cost to own. Plus lets be realistic... unless you are a dedicated track person, when would you ever use your full 485hp? Maybe like 10% of the time. And even then why stop at a Scat? Just get a Hellcat?
Main thing of this is to try and stop the whole , "Why not get a Scat?". If people are happy with what they got and worked hard for a V8, then just be chill about it and hit them with a "congrats bro". Some people here feel the need to stroke their ego to the max lol. Rant / out :)
PS. After owning a 2004 Camry, finally got my2019 R/T plus and it feels quick and sounds amazing!
LOL, I just say it is a 5.7 and smile. If they ask after getting whooped, I will tell them it is blown. It was less $$ to supercharge and tune than to buy a hellcat. So, ya I just say 5.7 and smile.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Good greetings to you all. Been awhile since I've logged on.
Seems this subject is just about as old as the forum itself. When I bought my 5.7 back in 2013, the SRT and the CORE (remember that one kids). I decided that the 5.7 was enough for a daily driver. Did I have post purchase regret for not getting the larger engine? Sure, months later, now and then. But it didn't sway my love for the car. and that's my point. Do YOU love YOUR car? I still stare at mine-and that's 177000 miles later.
When someone asks if I have the big engine, I say no, 410 ft lbs of torque was enough for now. Usually the person asking the question is at the other gas pump, driving a sensible Camaxaccornata Asian commuter car, and I can see the longing and envy in their eyes and demeanor as they nod their head.
A 300S with the 3.6 and the 3.06 limited slip rear is the daily driver now, and in Indigo blue it gets the compliments no 4 door in my history has ever received. I have a real appreciation for the 3.6 Challenger drivers because the performance of the 3.6 is really decent. The HEMIHED Challenger is garaged now, and a mild build is planned-maybe a low boost ProCharger if I go nuts. But even if I just rebuilt it stock I'd still love it. Great Car for me. Enjoy the hell out of yours.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,605 Posts
The bottom line is that us 5.7 owners don't need defending...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a nice 2013 R/T Plus. I loved it, till I drove a SP.
20151018_143031.jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
So after you drove a Scat you didn't like your R/T anymore? You shoudn't drive a Hellcat then or you'll loathe your Scat!
That's true the SP had more power so I traded in my R/T. But I'm happy with the SP so I'd never test drive a Hellcat.

·
Registered
263 Posts
1.5 reasons not to own a Scat Pack.

1. Insurance cost. (didn't ever occur to me till i read an insurance post earlier and the SP costs alot, no accidents or tickets or claims in the house in 20 years).
the other 0.5 I would say it's likely not worth it, price wise, if it has the 6 piston Brakes, those are just stupid expensive for us street only drivers.

I'm surprised at some of the young people i see driving these, i dunno how they pay the insurance premium let alone the price of the car etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1.5 reasons not to own a Scat Pack.

1. Insurance cost. (didn't ever occur to me till i read an insurance post earlier and the SP costs alot, no accidents or tickets or claims in the house in 20 years).
What surprised me when I was doing quotes before buying mine is that it was the exact same for my R/T as it was for the SP I was interested in (used the VINs for both to get pricing from multiple places). So that did not have any impact on my decision, but definitely would have if it was more.

That being said I noticed premium fuel has gone up a good bit when I filled up yesterday from when I last bought gas. That was a contributing factor in my original decision since I hated buying premium for my previous turbo 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
492 Posts
At the end of the day it has a V8 and serves it’s purpose well. Plus if you ever go to sell the car the V8 will bump up the sale price over any V6.

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
112 Posts
As a person who has owned both, I really do not feel much difference under normal driving circumstances. Maybe I am driving my car too gently. Both cars have WAY more power than I would ever need and my driving capability can handle at the limits. Also, when I had a regular RT, some people did ask me what engine it had. When I told them it was 5.7L none of them asked why I had not gotten a Scat Pack or a Hellcat.

261 - 274 of 274 Posts