Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was originally looking for an R/T +, but it had to be F8 green. I found a Scat Pack in F8 green with everything I wanted except the Technology Package. It had 2 rebates & was offered as an Internet Special. My insurance company didn’t have any issues with it & there was no gas guzzler tax because of the MDS. I just recently switched to a collector car insurance company that accepts late model Challengers. The premium is half of what I was paying & you insure it to value. Restrictions are that it must be garaged & not a daily driver.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
678 Posts
This is not a problem only amongst the "lesser than" SRT owners. I am the happy owner of a 2012 SRT8, limited edition Yellow Jacket 1of 318 confirmed by FCA. I get the same this all the time and not only from Hellcat owners. Even from non Challenger owners. While I like the OP's justifications, which are all valid, my response is "because!" Because, this is what I wanted and what I love! It's that simple.
I'm a retired cop. When I retired I went to work at a friend's Chrysler dealership. Two models I had great numbers selling were Wranglers (easy sell as I owned a pretty awesome one), and Challengers. Most of them were SXT (base models). Of the SXT, RT & SRT owners, none were more happy than any of the others. Each bought what they wanted for whatever their reasons were and that is all that matters. Might they want more in the future? Maybe, but who doesn't at some point. That's part of the sickness, lol! We all look to or think about upgrading or adding mods, but that's normal. Even having a perfect (for me Yellow Jacket), ive has people ask, why yellow, why a 6 speed manual, why a moonroof, blah blah blah. Because! That's what I like! As for track time, I've only been once and it was incredible. It is not the reason I wanted a 470HP 6.4L Hemi. I love my Challenger just like you love your RT.
I love cars, period! I've seen some sweet SXTs, and some stupid looking Hellcats. That's just my opinion and as long as the owners dig 'em!
Enjoy your sweet RT bro! View attachment 981709
Nice to see another Yeller Owner

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club. I felt the same way but it is a personal choice. I got a Plum SP Shaker because I grew up liking the old school look. I could have bought a Hellcat but honestly I didn't like the look as much. But someone else might want the speed. I also love colors that stand out so a white one was not even an option. And I wanted a stick because I like to row my own. But all these were personal choices. A 5.7 with the 8 is a great option and might be quicker than my 6 speed 392 off the line. At the end of the day you have to be happy and what makes you happy is very different from some guy with a small wang trying to prove something. lol Just laugh at the critics. Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why not a SXT? :D

A Guy
As someone who had to make that determination - and bought a CPO SXT Plus - it comes down to being realistic about one's needs, budget and intended useage. I could have purchased a used R/T, but there would have likely been concessions somewhere along the way (age, mileage, features, peace of mind, etc). Same goes for a used GT AWD, although that was largely a question of what was available in my price range - not a whole lot, unfortunately. I'm happy with the purchase, and that's really all that matters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is America. Drive what u want and can afford!! Who gives a crap what other people think or say!! Just got a 19 Challenger RT Scat Pack 392 and I’m happy with it!! Fun to drive when I drive it!! If I’m not on my Harley that is.
Have no regrets with your choices ever!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are a lot of variables involved... of course cost is one(if that wasn't a factor, we would all be driving supersport cars), how much you have/are willing to spend (those are very different things :) ) your needs, what you bought the car for and so on...

I don't drive much, buy a car is not a good financial decision for a start , specially where I live (downtown Chicago) but I always wanted a Hemi, doesn't matter which one so the R/T for me is perfect.
All Id o is enjoy cold starts and the sound while I drive, I don't want to reach 200mph in it.

When people say that to me I say... "why don't you get one and then tell me ?"

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did research for months before buying my RT Plus back in early February this year. I actually drove 3 hours to go test drive and again to buy it. Faced with all the options and the questions of why are you looking at that one? (before buying) and why did you buy that and not the hellcat? (after buying) the answer to me was clear...

None of your damn business!

-Dogg

·
Registered
745 Posts
Lol good lord, a whole thread now? You guys need a support group, this thread is a good place to start I suppose. Why don’t you just enjoy your car instead of wasting your time defending why you bought the car you did? Why you guys feel the need to justify your actions to personal strangers is beyond me. Nobody in the world will ever 100% agree with you on everything, the world would be a boring place if they did. If you like your car, good for you, that’s all that matters.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
678 Posts
And just like that........poooooof......the ignore feature works GREAT.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ha..... I bought my 2010 5.7 because I could not afford an SRT at the time 3 years ago or so. That said my R/T is more than capable, looks amazing, sounds amazing and do not have any intention to move up to the SRT or 392 (Not enough improvement to justify price in my eyes) but sure would upgrade to a Hellcat. Otherwise I love my R/T still

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I have title in hand since day one for my RT plus / STP, / sun roof , I can barely use all the power I have
My RT is “ faster then a speeding ticket “ I am more then happy with my choice
Also at the time August 2015 we only wanted Sublime color, and the Scat / HC in Sublime with the options we wanted , dealers we asking for thousands over sticker
So we brought our RT home and have enjoyed all 35000 miles we have put on it
F0D72000-F711-403D-A72B-A1894C0E7D68.jpeg
06B4CD6A-6071-4A47-B8A8-91B9F64C677C.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have title in hand since day one for my RT plus / STP, / sun roof , I can barely use all the power I have
My RT is “ faster then a speeding ticket “ I am more then happy with my choice
Also at the time August 2015 we only wanted Sublime color, and the Scat / HC in Sublime with the options we wanted , dealers we asking for thousands over sticker
So we brought our RT home and have enjoyed all 35000 miles we have put on it View attachment 981743 View attachment 981744
That’s a good looking ride, I really love that sublime, I like that center stripe you have too. I struggled for weeks between purple, sublime and B5 blue, eventually got the blue. All the Challengers are good looking rides, I prefer the Hellcat and the newer scat pack hoods but that’s just personal preference really. Drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey OP, you wanna know what’s funny? I have a 2010 SRT and a 2016 Hellcat that neither will go to the track. They’re my daily drivers that I enjoy. If I want to drive the M6, I climb in the Hellcat and if I want to rest my left foot, I climb into the 2010. People ask me all the time why do I own two black Challengers. Why do I own something a 5.7 can fill the bill. Why do I “need” more horsepower, higher insurance, less gas mileage, a sunroof, a backseat, blah, blah, blah. My answer is the same, “Why do you care?”

The point I’m making is that model bashing isn’t reserved to just owners who don’t run the 5.7, it affects anyone with a tiny Johnson trying to justify their own decisions. Enjoy your ride, the rest is just noise.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 5.7 is an excellent all-around choice. With the manual it can get practically the same mpg as the six. It can go basically as fast as the driver desires. Sure, maybe because of the weight from a dead stop it might trail a smaller, lighter car for a few feet, but from a thirty or forty roll it's totally killer and one-hundred arrives surprisingly promptly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haters are gonna Hate... I get it with the Scat pack too, why not get the Hellcat, blah blah blah and it's always from someone driving a shitbox or a plain old 4 dr sedan. I had some idiot driving a shitbox 2000 mustang GT telling me how he would of bought the Challenger Scat Pack but instead he bought the Mustang because he likes his cars light for speed, and bragging how much lighter his car is. I don't know how you can compare a 2015 Scat pack with a 2000 mustang GT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Minor Rant,

Ever since I bought a 5.7 Challenger R/T plus, most of the comments I get are... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?". Some of you all might be going through the same thing so I will try to clear up a couple of things.
- Price difference after rebates is about 4-5k plus Gas Tax which is 1kish. Sure it looks like a small amount but that is not the only factor.
-Mandatory Premium gas which is about 100ish extra a month to keep that tank full.
-Insurance: In most cases you are looking in almost 100-200 avg of monthly increase.(for where I live was 137 extra jump from R/T).
This are just a few extra costs to own it.This all adds up to an aprox.increase of $200-$300extra on top of a regular R/T monthly cost of ownership. For some it is chump change but for the average people it is a hefty increase on what an R/T would cost to own. Plus lets be realistic... unless you are a dedicated track person, when would you ever use your full 485hp? Maybe like 10% of the time. And even then why stop at a Scat? Just get a Hellcat?
Main thing of this is to try and stop the whole , "Why not get a Scat?". If people are happy with what they got and worked hard for a V8, then just be chill about it and hit them with a "congrats bro". Some people here feel the need to stroke their ego to the max lol. Rant / out :)
PS. After owning a 2004 Camry, finally got my2019 R/T plus and it feels quick and sounds amazing!
Ditto! If I had the bucks for a Scat or whatever, I’d have bought something totally different. I like my 5.7 just fine. It’s comfy, handles well enough for a car of it’s size, it’s more than fast enough for me, sounds great, allows me to buy regular unleaded gas when the prices go north of $3/gallon, gets acceptable gas mileage (not that I care that much), and it’s got classic lines. If money wasn’t an object, I’d have bought a Porsche, a Corvette, or something a bit more exotic. So for now, I’m just taking good care of my Challenger and hoping it lasts me many years.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Everything is relative. For most of my adult life (and I’m pretty dang old) you couldn’t “buy” an off-the-shelf car that ran mid 13 sec 1/4 miles. Build one, yes, but not buy one. And when you could, it was considered a “fast” car (for stock). I remember reading about (and then buying) a 1986 Mustang LX 5.0 - zero options other than the “big” 5.0 engine. The reviewers raved on how fast this thing was. 0-60 in 7 secs and 15 sec 1/4 mile times. Wahoo! Even in the 60’s heyday of muscle cars - they rarely ran in the 13’s stock. They made big power but the tires were crap and they couldn’t put it to the ground.
Nowadays you can buy off-the-shelf cars that are crazy fast with incredible power - which I think is great! So now a mid-13 sec car is considered “slow” - meh, lol, whatever - I think it is still a blast. Fun times we live in.

There is always someone faster. Have fun with the car you enjoy.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Everything is relative. For most of my adult life (and I’m pretty dang old) you couldn’t “buy” an off-the-shelf car that ran mid 13 sec 1/4 miles. Build one, yes, but not buy one. And when you could, it was considered a “fast” car (for stock). I remember reading about (and then buying) a 1986 Mustang LX 5.0 - zero options other than the “big” 5.0 engine. The reviewers raved on how fast this thing was. 0-60 in 7 secs and 15 sec 1/4 mile times. Wahoo! Even in the 60’s heyday of muscle cars - they rarely ran in the 13’s stock. They made big power but the tires were crap and they couldn’t put it to the ground.
Nowadays you can buy off-the-shelf cars that are crazy fast with incredible power - which I think is great! So now a mid-13 sec car is considered “slow” - meh, lol, whatever - I think it is still a blast. Fun times we live in.

There is always someone faster. Have fun with the car you enjoy.
I looked recently, a turbo 4 Camaro is right about as fast as an R/T and the V6 Camaro at around 13 seconds. It’s amazing what engineering can accomplish when 4 cylinder engines are blowing past what people used to consider crazy fast. Now we have electric/gas setups that are just lightning quick. 2 second 0-60s, cars are stupid quick.

41 - 60 of 130 Posts