Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
well for not much more $ and if you shop around you can find great deals on scat packs and pay the same or even less then a fully loaded rt plus. id rather have the 110 more HP. My insurance jumped $69 month....yeah its more $ by a little more expensive fuel Costco. However is more about the sound and the power trq. it sure help me forget about those small details Like $
My insurance went down lol. I pay $150 a month for my Challenger and a 2017 Cruze.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just about everyone will ask "is it a Hellcat" when you tell them you have a Challenger. For people that don't even have a Challenger, they sure seem to think you should have 700+ HP, lol

A Guy
That's what my neighbor asked me, then he went on to tell me his daughter and her friend met a guy in a bar and he let them take his hellcat for a drive. That is just so wrong.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Minor Rant,

Ever since I bought a 5.7 Challenger R/T plus, most of the comments I get are... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?". Some of you all might be going through the same thing so I will try to clear up a couple of things.
- Price difference after rebates is about 4-5k plus Gas Tax which is 1kish. Sure it looks like a small amount but that is not the only factor.
-Mandatory Premium gas which is about 100ish extra a month to keep that tank full.
-Insurance: In most cases you are looking in almost 100-200 avg of monthly increase.(for where I live was 137 extra jump from R/T).
This are just a few extra costs to own it.This all adds up to an aprox.increase of $200-$300extra on top of a regular R/T monthly cost of ownership. For some it is chump change but for the average people it is a hefty increase on what an R/T would cost to own. Plus lets be realistic... unless you are a dedicated track person, when would you ever use your full 485hp? Maybe like 10% of the time. And even then why stop at a Scat? Just get a Hellcat?
Main thing of this is to try and stop the whole , "Why not get a Scat?". If people are happy with what they got and worked hard for a V8, then just be chill about it and hit them with a "congrats bro". Some people here feel the need to stroke their ego to the max lol. Rant / out :)
PS. After owning a 2004 Camry, finally got my2019 R/T plus and it feels quick and sounds amazing!
I love the 5.7 Hemi. I've owned three challengers with the 5.7 and 4 with the 392. I would have no problem buying another 5.7 car if the opportunity presented itself. 5.7s are the 383s of the modern era. Not the biggest but no slouch either and a great platform to build off of.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I love the 5.7 Hemi. I've owned three challengers with the 5.7 and 4 with the 392. I would have no problem buying another 5.7 car if the opportunity presented itself. 5.7s are the 383s of the modern era. Not the biggest but no slouch either and a great platform to build off of.
😦😦😦😦

7 Challengers?

As in, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7??

Look, I am as quirky and unreasonable as anyone when it comes to application of my fervor for the Dodge LX/LC, but SEVEN?!?

I feel like I should advise some sort of treatment or program for your 'affliction', but I am not aware of any that currently exist for your ailment...perhaps you could create one and then I'll start sending others that exhibit similar symptoms to you for treatment? :p

No, that wouldn't work...that wouldn't work at all! 😟

Okay, fine, I'm stumped. So please, carry on, sir! 👍

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
19 Posts
Minor Rant,

Ever since I bought a 5.7 Challenger R/T plus, most of the comments I get are... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?". Some of you all might be going through the same thing so I will try to clear up a couple of things.
- Price difference after rebates is about 4-5k plus Gas Tax which is 1kish. Sure it looks like a small amount but that is not the only factor.
-Mandatory Premium gas which is about 100ish extra a month to keep that tank full.
-Insurance: In most cases you are looking in almost 100-200 avg of monthly increase.(for where I live was 137 extra jump from R/T).
This are just a few extra costs to own it.This all adds up to an aprox.increase of $200-$300extra on top of a regular R/T monthly cost of ownership. For some it is chump change but for the average people it is a hefty increase on what an R/T would cost to own. Plus lets be realistic... unless you are a dedicated track person, when would you ever use your full 485hp? Maybe like 10% of the time. And even then why stop at a Scat? Just get a Hellcat?
Main thing of this is to try and stop the whole , "Why not get a Scat?". If people are happy with what they got and worked hard for a V8, then just be chill about it and hit them with a "congrats bro". Some people here feel the need to stroke their ego to the max lol. Rant / out :)
PS. After owning a 2004 Camry, finally got my2019 R/T plus and it feels quick and sounds amazing!
Hey man i feel you lol. I haven't got those comments but i sure definitely see that sort of mind set when reading through certain post. It's almost kind of looking down on a person who don't have a scat, hellcat, etc. I'm quite proud of my R/T Plus but if a person isn't as strong minded or not comfortable they'll probably feel that their car isn't worth being apart of any discussion. Like you i came from a 2000 grand prix gtp so getting a brand new car at the time 2016 R/T Plus was a big deal for me! Congrats and enjoy your car man! It's the ish! lol

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
😦😦😦😦

7 Challengers?

As in, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7??

Look, I am as quirky and unreasonable as anyone when it comes to application of my fervor for the Dodge LX/LC, but SEVEN?!?

I feel like I should advise some sort of treatment or program for your 'affliction', but I am not aware of any that currently exist for your ailment...perhaps you could create one and then I'll start sending others that exhibit similar symptoms to you for treatment? :p

Yeah, 7. There is a reason for each one (sometimes as simple as boredom). That being said, I know of forum members who have had more and one, I believe, has had 12.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Depending on mood I usually say one of three things.
1. I wanted the limited production R/T 'Redline' package which came on, yeah, only the R/T & R/T Plus.
2. It's already enough to get me into trouble on the street. I certainly don't need any more. Plus I like to actually enjoy a road trip.
3. I really wanted a Cordoba but this was the closest thing I could find. 😁

20180429_123601.jpg

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
1,932 Posts
Here ya go...

Cordoba CP100 Guitar Pack – Zenith Music

·
Registered
5 Posts
Minor Rant,

You've brought up some great points. I driven hybrid Camrys the last 6 years and my motorcycle cycle. Now that my kids are driving I had to buy something. I narrowed it to a a Challenger and wanted Scat but if I went scat I would have had to go wide body (+$6K) and the Scat itself is another +$6K. The 2019 R/T Plus Shaker at 5.7 V8 was the right level for me, for now. I'm still using Premium to cover 91 octane min recommended but surprisingly, I'll pay $900 less a year in insurance vs the Camry (very surprising). To make it even more fun, I got the 6 speed manual and 375 HP is plenty for me this time around. I don't race (yet) but if I do, I'll upgrade to a Hellcat.

Bottom line, the R/T will be plenty fin and no reason any fellow Challenger owner should be putting down any trim level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
You've brought up some great points. I driven hybrid Camrys the last 6 years and my motorcycle cycle. Now that my kids are driving I had to buy something. I narrowed it to a a Challenger and wanted Scat but if I went scat I would have had to go wide body (+$6K) and the Scat itself is another +$6K. The 2019 R/T Plus Shaker at 5.7 V8 was the right level for me, for now. I'm still using Premium to cover 91 octane min recommended but surprisingly, I'll pay $900 less a year in insurance vs the Camry (very surprising). To make it even more fun, I got the 6 speed manual and 375 HP is plenty for me this time around. I don't race (yet) but if I do, I'll upgrade to a Hellcat.

Bottom line, the R/T will be plenty fin and no reason any fellow Challenger owner should be putting down any trim level.
Yep! People seem to only factor the cost of purchase and forget the fact the the cost of Ownership compared to a base R/T is pretty noticeable. In the ideal world, we would all be driving the most powerful of them all, but for financial reasons, we can't. So instead of planting the "why not a Scat?" , simply say a "congrats".

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
1,932 Posts
Mod the 5.7 and the insurance doesn't go up...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,617 Posts
I defend 5.7 owners by pulling up in my V6 :p

Then I lift the hood and Ooooh, Ahhh

A Guy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depending on mood I usually say one of three things.
1. I wanted the limited production R/T 'Redline' package which came on, yeah, only the R/T & R/T Plus.
2. It's already enough to get me into trouble on the street. I certainly don't need any more. Plus I like to actually enjoy a road trip.
3. I really wanted a Cordoba but this was the closest thing I could find. 😁

View attachment 982144
The last line brought a smile to my face...my mother own a goreous white Cordoba with a 318 (boat anchor) under the hood. My brother asked if he could use it for his Prom and she told him aboslutely NOT. Lol. She loved that car...about a year later I asked if I could use it for a special date and she said yes..this really pissed my brother off, but my mother (a proper born and bred Brit) told him "your car has more dents than the tugs used to park the Queen Mary ! Jeffrey's car doesn't..my brother was always getting into fender benders, she was dead on balls accurate lol. My car was a '70 Chevelle and I looked after her like she was my child.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Minor Rant,

I say get the six if you like it or need AWD. I almost did because of where I live (but went Scat Pack instead because I am an idiot). Part of the appeal of the Challenger is the looks. Not everyone wants a super muscle car.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,850 Posts
😦😦😦😦

7 Challengers?

As in, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7??

I have owned 14 now, 2 I still have!! Long story....lol

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have to say that the 5.7 mated up with the TorqueFlite 8 speed automatic is no slouch. My dealer let me test drive one while I waited for the recall work being done on my SP. It was very smooth and the power was applied evenly across all gears. Dodge really got the drive train dialed in right on the 5.7 now.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts