Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
All this 318 talk has me feeling left out. I was a Chevy man in my youth, so I wouldn’t know a 318 from a...whatever is close to the 318 in Dodge’s old school small blocks.

I know the Chevy 327, but that’s a high revving little sucker that was certainly no slouch of an engine. Hell I even drove a big dump truck once that had a 327 in it.

That was a little surprising to learn that engine was powering that rig, but with the proper gearing I suppose you can move just about anything using even a lawnmower motor...

but I digest...

All this talk about what the 5.7L engine is like in comparison to its contemporaries of old is fine, but keeping the rankings/ratings relative to other engines of today does the 5.7L a disservice IMHO. I think it helps to evaluate it in a vacuum too.

While it is factually accurate to say that the 5.7L has a meager HP/TQ output when compared to what else is available today, it lacks perspective to say it that way. There is no mention of just how easily a vehicle powered by the modern 5.7L can go from being fun to drive to being dangerous to be in when operated at WOT.

The cars of my youth had no ESP/BAS protecting us from poor driving conditions and/or our own bad decisions, and yet most of us managed to make it into our middle ages and beyond, and we did it while only having the occasional accident from application of too much throttle.

If our cars today, more specifically our 5.7L powered LXs, lacked the ESP/BAS system that have become so integral to the vehicle now, things would be much different. More accidents, more wrecks, more damage, more injuries. These engines just have too much power for a human alone to handle without help from a computer.

I had lots of 350s, a couple 305s, and even one 454 growing up. None of those were as dangerous back then as this 5.7L could be now if I had no help from the ESP/BAS to keep it on the road.

Yes, every other engine available today is more dangerous than the 5.7L, blah, blah, blah. Whatever, that’s irrelevant to the point I’m trying to make.

I can go faster, and do it more quickly, with the stock 5.7L Hemi in my car than I ever could with the mildly modified Chevy V8s of my youth.

That’s impressive to me, very impressive, in fact.

For anyone that doesn’t find that impressive, I don’t know what to say...you’ve led a charmed life, and I truly cannot relate to you, is what I’ll say. 🥴

·
Registered
20 Posts
All this 318 talk has me feeling left out. I was a Chevy man in my youth, so I wouldn’t know a 318 from a...whatever is close to the 318 in Dodge’s old school small blocks.

I know the Chevy 327, but that’s a high revving little sucker that was certainly no slouch of an engine. Hell I even drove a big dump truck once that had a 327 in it.

That was a little surprising to learn that engine was powering that rig, but with the proper gearing I suppose you can move just about anything using even a lawnmower motor...

but I digest...

All this talk about what the 5.7L engine is like in comparison to its contemporaries of old is fine, but keeping the rankings/ratings relative to other engines of today does the 5.7L a disservice IMHO. I think it helps to evaluate it in a vacuum too.

While it is factually accurate to say that the 5.7L has a meager HP/TQ output when compared to what else is available today, it lacks perspective to say it that way. There is no mention of just how easily a vehicle powered by the modern 5.7L can go from being fun to drive to being dangerous to be in when operated at WOT.

The cars of my youth had no ESP/BAS protecting us from poor driving conditions and/or our own bad decisions, and yet most of us managed to make it into our middle ages and beyond, and we did it while only having the occasional accident from application of too much throttle.

If our cars today, more specifically our 5.7L powered LXs, lacked the ESP/BAS system that have become so integral to the vehicle now, things would be much different. More accidents, more wrecks, more damage, more injuries. These engines just have too much power for a human alone to handle without help from a computer.

I had lots of 350s, a couple 305s, and even one 454 growing up. None of those were as dangerous back then as this 5.7L could be now if I had no help from the ESP/BAS to keep it on the road.

Yes, every other engine available today is more dangerous than the 5.7L, blah, blah, blah. Whatever, that’s irrelevant to the point I’m trying to make.

I can go faster, and do it more quickly, with the stock 5.7L Hemi in my car than I ever could with the mildly modified Chevy V8s of my youth.

That’s impressive to me, very impressive, in fact.

For anyone that doesn’t find that impressive, I don’t know what to say...you’ve led a charmed life, and I truly cannot relate to you, is what I’ll say. 🥴
Well Put👍

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought my 2010 Challenger R/T last year, not because I couldn't afford a new 392 or even stretch for a hellcat. I bought it because I missed my 2010 Challenger R/T that I was stupid enough to trade in. Does the dash look generic? Yes. For ME, you just can't beat the look of a B5 Blue Classic Package car.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I thought the all mighty Elephant engine (426) was rated in both Gross H.P. 425 and Net H.P. 350 in 1971......
The 5.7L is rated at 375 or 372 stick vs auto and 390? in a truck.... So there is that too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a 69 Road Runner 383 back in the 70's. All my friends had Mopars. 426 GTX, 440 Cuda, and others. We all went to the drags. That was a wonderful time in my life. Now I am retired and decided to buy a Classic R/T Challenger in an effort to duplicate the 1970 AAR I couldn't afford. Most of what I have done to it makes it look like an old Cuda/Challenger. I decided on the 5.7 because this engine will similar fast as those cars. I always liked the 340 and this is a 345. It is not out on control fast like the 392 can be. It's just fun and scratches my itch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had a 69 Road Runner 383 back in the 70's. All my friends had Mopars. 426 GTX, 440 Cuda, and others. We all went to the drags. That was a wonderful time in my life. Now I am retired and decided to buy a Classic R/T Challenger in an effort to duplicate the 1970 AAR I couldn't afford. Most of what I have done to it makes it look like an old Cuda/Challenger. I decided on the 5.7 because this engine will similar fast as those cars. I always liked the 340 and this is a 345. It is not out on control fast like the 392 can be. It's just fun and scratches my itch.
View attachment 985578
Awsome job with making look old school!!those double stripes and then tuee wheels male it look awsome...let alone the 345 on the hood with hemi..love it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 383 Charger back in 1969. Now, in 2020 and 75 years old, I am feeling my oats again with an RT Challenger which I love. There is really only one improvement Dodge could have made that makes sense. The front passenger sear is manual and not easy to operate. It absolutely should be a power seat similar to the driver's seat........then the car would truly be perfect for my wife and me..............just saying. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks, The RT stripe and 20" aluminum retro wheels come on the Classic. I have also added hood pins, a strobe stripe on the rear spoiler, embroidered "Challenger Super Bee" mats, a Kenwood Android Auto and Maestro harness stereo, front and rear BMR Strut Tower Braces, and a Barton pistol grip shift handle.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I had a 383 Charger back in 1969. Now, in 2020 and 75 years old, I am feeling my oats again with an RT Challenger which I love. There is really only one improvement Dodge could have made that makes sense. The front passenger sear is manual and not easy to operate. It absolutely should be a power seat similar to the driver's seat........then the car would truly be perfect for my wife and me..............just saying. :)
Agree! It's the only complain my wife has!

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
There is really only one improvement Dodge could have made that makes sense. The front passenger sear is manual and not easy to operate. It absolutely should be a power seat similar to the driver's seat........then the car would truly be perfect for my wife and me..............just saying. :)
I agree with you there to a point. My beef is slightly different in that the passenger's seat is easy to move forward so someone can get in the back seat. With the driver's side, you are waiting for a motor to move the seat forward. Then once you get behind the wheel again, you are waiting again for the motor to move the seat back.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts
...With the driver's side, you are waiting for a motor to move the seat forward. Then once you get behind the wheel again, you are waiting again for the motor to move the seat back.
AND without memory so it does it automatically, like the Charger has available.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
View attachment 985578
Looks like a Texas license plate...which part of our fair state are you in?

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
I agree with you there to a point. My beef is slightly different in that the passenger's seat is easy to move forward so someone can get in the back seat. With the driver's side, you are waiting for a motor to move the seat forward. Then once you get behind the wheel again, you are waiting again for the motor to move the seat back.
Dodge has already addressed y’all’s concerns about lack of (or limited) back seat access. In fact, Dodge produces a whole different model of car just to resolve the issue of back seat access. I happen to have one of these cars as a matter of fact...though oddly enough, no one I know wants to ride in the back seat of my car.

It could have something to do with the fact that when you get in my back seat, you cannot get out until I let you out. 👺

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
55 Posts
View attachment 985578
What color is this? Detonator Yellow? This one looks a lot like Butterscotch.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts
Dodge has already addressed y’all’s concerns about lack of (or limited) back seat access. In fact, Dodge produces a whole different model of car just to resolve the issue of back seat access. I happen to have one of these cars as a matter of fact...though oddly enough, no one I know wants to ride in the back seat of my car.

It could have something to do with the fact that when you get in my back seat, you cannot get out until I let you out. 👺
I have had 2 of those so far, and likely my next one will be as well. I get it all, EXCEPT, the no memory settings.
Also, my 1986 Dodge Lancer ES Turbo was the first car I had with the child lock disable thingys. I still remember when my wife rode in the back, and me and my buddy flipped then when she got in. Then when we got home, we got out and walked away, leaving her stuck in the back seat. Ahhh, memories.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,169 Posts
101 - 120 of 130 Posts