Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Defending 5.7 owners!

71K views 273 replies 101 participants last post by  RickBlue 
#1 ·
Minor Rant,

Ever since I bought a 5.7 Challenger R/T plus, most of the comments I get are... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?". Some of you all might be going through the same thing so I will try to clear up a couple of things.
- Price difference after rebates is about 4-5k plus Gas Tax which is 1kish. Sure it looks like a small amount but that is not the only factor.
-Mandatory Premium gas which is about 100ish extra a month to keep that tank full.
-Insurance: In most cases you are looking in almost 100-200 avg of monthly increase.(for where I live was 137 extra jump from R/T).
This are just a few extra costs to own it.This all adds up to an aprox.increase of $200-$300extra on top of a regular R/T monthly cost of ownership. For some it is chump change but for the average people it is a hefty increase on what an R/T would cost to own. Plus lets be realistic... unless you are a dedicated track person, when would you ever use your full 485hp? Maybe like 10% of the time. And even then why stop at a Scat? Just get a Hellcat?
Main thing of this is to try and stop the whole , "Why not get a Scat?". If people are happy with what they got and worked hard for a V8, then just be chill about it and hit them with a "congrats bro". Some people here feel the need to stroke their ego to the max lol. Rant / out :)
PS. After owning a 2004 Camry, finally got my2019 R/T plus and it feels quick and sounds amazing!

See less See more
#2 ·
Minor Rant,

Ever since I bought a 5.7 Challenger R/T plus, most of the comments I get are... "Why not a Scat?" "Why not a Hellcat?". Some of you all might be going through the same thing so I will try to clear up a couple of things.
- Price difference after rebates is about 4-5k plus Gas Tax which is 1kish. Sure it looks like a small amount but that is not the only factor.
-Mandatory Premium gas which is about 100ish extra a month to keep that tank full.
-Insurance: In most cases you are looking in almost 100-200 avg of monthly increase.(for where I live was 137 extra jump from R/T).
This are just a few extra costs to own it.This all adds up to an aprox.increase of $200-$300extra on top of a regular R/T monthly cost of ownership. For some it is chump change but for the average people it is a hefty increase on what an R/T would cost to own. Plus lets be realistic... unless you are a dedicated track person, when would you ever use your full 485hp? Maybe like 10% of the time. And even then why stop at a Scat? Just get a Hellcat?
Main thing of this is to try and stop the whole , "Why not get a Scat?". If people are happy with what they got and worked hard for a V8, then just be chill about it and hit them with a "congrats bro". Some people here feel the need to stroke their ego to the max lol. Rant / out :)
PS. After owning a 2004 Camry, finally got my2019 R/T plus and it feels quick and sounds amazing!
Yep, that is why my 2006 and 2015 were 5.7, and while it seems like a cop out saying a 5.7 is "Good enough" it really is "Good enough" It is "Good!" and it is "Enough". 6.1s, then 6.4s then Hellcats are "Better" no doubt. Just like a 5.7 is "Better" than a 3.5/3.6.
For me I got the 5.7, because it was Good Enough, and Price, and yes, Insurance as well, and Gas costs (premium and actual MPG) But with the A8, no gas Guzzler tax.
Oh and also, W.A.F. that changed, so I got a Scat Pack! (the real reason)
Happy Wife, Happy Life is BS! UNHAPPY Wife, Unhappy Life is a FACT!

#205 ·
Yep, that is why my 2006 and 2015 were 5.7, and while it seems like a cop out saying a 5.7 is "Good enough" it really is "Good enough" It is "Good!" and it is "Enough". 6.1s, then 6.4s then Hellcats are "Better" no doubt. Just like a 5.7 is "Better" than a 3.5/3.6.
For me I got the 5.7, because it was Good Enough, and Price, and yes, Insurance as well, and Gas costs (premium and actual MPG) But with the A8, no gas Guzzler tax.
Oh and also, W.A.F. that changed, so I got a Scat Pack! (the real reason)
Happy Wife, Happy Life is BS! UNHAPPY Wife, Unhappy Life is a FACT!
I love my 5.7 shaker just as much as my 392 shaker. If I had to get rid of one do to my finances it would be the 392.

#4 ·
The 5.7 is much better than "good enough". It is an extremely strong, proven engine. As for me, I have a problem with the mod monkey, and because of it, my Shaker will blow the doors off of a Scat Pack and Hellcat owners may not want to be embarrassed by me either.

#5 ·
Minor Rant,

Some folks are just fools.

That said, I don't understand the need to justify why I bought what I did to anyone, more less a fool running off their mouth.

#10 ·
#6 ·
I got the 5.7 because mine is still a daily driver and I commute about 80 miles per day. Also I can’t afford the SRT. If I had a bunch of extra money laying around and didn’t have the commute, I’d go for the bigger engines. That being said, I almost went with the 3.6 instead. To each their own, everyone has their own reasons.

#11 ·
Because I have had old small blocks, old Big Blocks, 4 cylinders, slant sixes and V-6s but I NEVER had a Hemi. I always wanted a '71 Hemi 'Cuda and the new Challenger is about as close to that that I can afford. This was my dream car growing up, I swore if I ever got my hands on it, I would make it streetable. When I was in high school in the 80's and Pro Street was the thing, I just figured find an old Pro Stocker and make it a Daily Driver. I would still love to do that today, either a retired pro stock or a retired NASCAR Daytona or Superbird would make an awesome weekend cruiser.

#9 ·
Most of the people that use to say the same thing to me, were driving 4-cylinder, eco-boxes and I was like why did you buy that??? lol These days, with the insane weather in New England, I hardly ever drive one of my Challengers or my Mustang. Just my eco-friendly suv.....sigh....

Reactions: Mopar Frank
#14 ·
I've had two 5.7L in the past. One auto and one 6 speed and now a Scat Pack Shaker. Besides the HP difference, IMO the 5.7L is an awesome choice for a daily performance driver. I went to the Scat Pack Shaker because I wanted a bit more HP and the Shaker. Honestly if the Hellcat had a shaker I would have most likely went with that. So in the end iI went with a bit more HP and Shaker...

#15 ·
I'm the same as you. I was looking for a 392 in 2014 when I saw the Shaker, which as only available with the 5.7. The engine no longer mattered, and I bought the Shaker, knowing that the 5.7 was strong enough to make it do what I want. I knew this because I have a 2004 Ram with the 5.7, and I have a friend who built his 5.7 Ram into a 10 second truck that he used to run at Firebird (now Wild Horse) in Phoenix all the time.

#16 ·
Every complaint or knock against the 5.7L I have heard all revolve around it being too slow or not as fast as <some other car>.

a) I don’t race other cars, so how fast my car is in relation to others is irrelevant. I’m sure plenty of other cars could beat me in a race. Too bad they’ll never get the chance to show off and try it.

b) the 5.7L comes in a car, with a transmission and rear-end. If there is a complaint to be lodged, perhaps lodge it against the folks that saddled the 5.7L with too much weight and/or the wrong gearing to transfer its power to the road.

The 5.7L is a fine engine. Make it have to move around 500-1000 lbs of dead weight more than other cars on the road and it should be expected it will have trouble out accelerating them.

Physics - it just can’t be beat...except in the quantum realm, but we ain’t in the quantum realm (yet), so no need to worry about that.

#18 ·
Did you get that flux capacitor installed in your Charger yet?

Reactions: 72/340
#20 ·
Along those same lines, I love it when someone trots out the old trope about a V6 Camaro being faster than a 5.7L Hemi Challenger/Charger. I guess the implication is that the Chevy V6 is ”faster“ than a Dodge 5.7L.

Alright fine, I’ll bite. If that’s the case, it should hold true regardless of platform, right?

So tell me, would a Dodge Challenger/Charger with the Chevy V6 still be faster than a 5.7L Hemi powered Camaro?

If the asinine assertion about the 5.7L somehow being inadequate is true, the platform It’s in shouldn’t matter, right?

I don’t know who would win in a drag race between a V6 Camaro and a 5.7L Challenger/Charger. But if the larger engine’s car does not win, then it’s likely something to do with the car, not the engine.

#21 ·
Reactions: JavierA
#22 ·
Uh, hello?!? That is a replica! We are talking real-life time travel here, @A Guy!

Sheesh... ?

Reactions: Gila Hemi
#23 ·
Minor Rant,

What you're experiencing is no different than back in the day when people with a 225 got asked why they didn't get a 318 .... who got asked why they didn't get a 383 ... who got asked why they didn't get a 440 ... who got asked why they didn't get a 426.

I had a 2011 Challenger R/T Classic and thoroughly enjoyed that car. Still wish I'd made a third try at getting the exhaust sound I was looking for. :). After a short stint in a '16 Chevy SS, I searched for an SRT in part for the horsepower and in part for the improved suspension. And my '15 SRT does ride better than my '11.

I think the 5.7 is one of the best buys in the performance market today. And it's probably a better platform to mod than the 6.4.

#29 · (Edited)
What you're experiencing is no different than back in the day when people with a 225 got asked why they didn't get a 318 .... who got asked why they didn't get a 383 ... who got asked why they didn't get a 440 ... who got asked why they didn't get a 426.
Nobody asked why didn't they get a 340??:D

#32 ·
Hey....to each their own. If you find yourself having to justify the purchase decision.......might be saying more about you than the person asking the question. (something to think about for sure)

The only the person who matters is the person who buys and will use the car or truck of their choice.

Sometimes people do indeed make a choice without enough thought and they come to regret their choice later but is that really anyone else's business? I don't think so.

Oh and here's a thought worth considering.......is their any car or truck out there where the question couldn't be asked, "Why do you choose ___ rather than ___ ?"

I could easily ask any buyer of 797HP Red Eye, "Why did you wait? A Demon purchased last year is the "Hot Ticket" Challenger......the Red Eye......not-so-much"

......or how about....."You spent how much? Do you even realize how many better cars are out there for that kind of money?"

All these questions are silly and miss a HUGE point to be made REGARDLESS of the car or truck a buyer takes home.

Today there are just so very many different manufacturers and platforms available in all price ranges that it makes any ONE CAR or TRUCK model as the universally accepted "smart pick" an impossibility.

Buy what you like and ignore the commentary.........if you can't ignore it, "F*ck 0ff" is still your easy quick answer and while less than polite......the question and the critique behind doesn't really invite polite anyway.

#34 ·
...and some are BLACK! :)

A Guy

Reactions: vpzyck
#35 ·
Minor Rant,

Let me be fair & clear with all of the spectrum based on from a 5.7L Hemi up to the 6.2s and 6.4l 392s

Hey guys, I'm a owner of a 2009 SRT8 6.1L Hemi Challenger brilliant black 5 speed automatic/NAG1 Mercedez trans (stock limit power thatll handle is around 630WHP) which is more than enough for me.

Here is the thing, the beautiful 5.7L Hemi is a lowkey beast with good supporting mods onto its trans and motor. With a nice 268 duration cam either from Arrington or Modern Muscle Xtreme Custom Grind?
The numbers jump between 430ish to 490ish with supporting mods like better rods and so forth.

With a better fuel line thatll support higher levels of thermo pressure and bigger injectors, with a flex fuel theme to it for the sake of E85 fuel?

It can jump up to 500ish mid 500ish.
With a tuned transmission with stronger converter? Most safest is the late 500s and early 600s.

So disliking or criticizing the 5.7L is the most childish thing to do. Not to mention, it is the most well known Hemi engine and the one that brought out many more out to the scene.
Now, if you are dealing with a monstrous 426cid 6.2L (modern Hellephant) and old school 7L? Then that's a different story and of course, it is the most legendary and the most powerful block for the Hemi line.

My 6.1L 370cid, is also underestimated by the 392s and 372s owners.

I went to Hemifever for 2 custom tunes, and he gave me a heads up that my 6.1L with supporting mods and right tuning? It can even go up to 800s, easily and safely. Of course, the NAG1 has to be hatched and modified with better converter and so forth or better yet? A new high performance trans for sure.

But the fact that the forgotten 6.1L Hemi engine been tossed behind like that yet? It's a beautiful motor that is OPEN FOR HEAVY TUNING? I would rather buy me a 6.1L 6spd Manual 2010 Challenger and make that an ultimate build, save more money, and be able to be head to head with a modern hellcat or modified 392.

But again, the 5.7L Hemi gets my respect always because I know that fella is a sleeper. Believe me.

#37 ·
Agreed. I didn't pick my R/T Shaker because it was the best. I wanted the SCAT but when I saw this Orange R/T Shaker for sale, I fell in love and I have no regrets. I get compliments all the time and random people telling me about the MOPARs that they have owned. I haven't heard a negative comment yet and I'd prolly laugh if I did. There are plenty of upgrades I can do with this 5.7L and I look forward to working on them with my son.

#38 ·
This is not a problem only amongst the "lesser than" SRT owners. I am the happy owner of a 2012 SRT8, limited edition Yellow Jacket 1of 318 confirmed by FCA. I get the same this all the time and not only from Hellcat owners. Even from non Challenger owners. While I like the OP's justifications, which are all valid, my response is "because!" Because, this is what I wanted and what I love! It's that simple.
I'm a retired cop. When I retired I went to work at a friend's Chrysler dealership. Two models I had great numbers selling were Wranglers (easy sell as I owned a pretty awesome one), and Challengers. Most of them were SXT (base models). Of the SXT, RT & SRT owners, none were more happy than any of the others. Each bought what they wanted for whatever their reasons were and that is all that matters. Might they want more in the future? Maybe, but who doesn't at some point. That's part of the sickness, lol! We all look to or think about upgrading or adding mods, but that's normal. Even having a perfect (for me Yellow Jacket), ive has people ask, why yellow, why a 6 speed manual, why a moonroof, blah blah blah. Because! That's what I like! As for track time, I've only been once and it was incredible. It is not the reason I wanted a 470HP 6.4L Hemi. I love my Challenger just like you love your RT.
I love cars, period! I've seen some sweet SXTs, and some stupid looking Hellcats. That's just my opinion and as long as the owners dig 'em!
Enjoy your sweet RT bro!

Minor Rant,

#39 · (Edited)
With 119K trouble-free miles on my '12 R/T w/M6 trans and 5.7L hemi, no complaints here. Didn't have the $$ for a 6.4L hemi when I bought mine in Sep. 2012 new, not complaining about $31K OTD price after 7 hours of negotiations with the dealership I bought it from(they had new 2013's coming in already and were anxious to move the 2012's), and love the way the car drives and runs with mods I have done(full SRT/Flowmaster exhaust and CAI w/dry filter, pedal commander, skip shift elim, clutch delay valve removal, iridium plugs, 180 thermostat), and still liking that 25 mpg average on the highway where about 90% of my miles have been driven.
6.4 SRT would have been nice, or a Hellcat a bit later, but, I'm happy with my choice and will replace the engine in my Challenger with another 5.7L long block if need be.

#40 ·
In the months leading up to buying my '15 R/T plus, I was looking primarily at 392 T/A's and SRT's. I was this close to pulling the trigger on a '17 Destroyer Gray T/A when an auto trader alert arrived in my inbox. All the SRT's and T/A's were in the low-mid 30's with 20-30 thousand miles, and the T/A I was going to buy was $34,999. Great price, killer car. But the '15 R/T I ended up with was loaded, only had 5k miles on it, and was $24,995. I just couldn't pass it up.

It'll hold it's own. I get consistent 13.1's with the built in timer, and I'm certain there's a 12.9x in there at a proper track with a nice shallow stage. On top of that, I'm averaging 21.2 miles per gallon.

Next time, I'll skip the N/A stuff and go straight to a Cat. In the meantime, I'm thoroughly enjoying the R/T.

#41 ·
I was originally looking for an R/T +, but it had to be F8 green. I found a Scat Pack in F8 green with everything I wanted except the Technology Package. It had 2 rebates & was offered as an Internet Special. My insurance company didn’t have any issues with it & there was no gas guzzler tax because of the MDS. I just recently switched to a collector car insurance company that accepts late model Challengers. The premium is half of what I was paying & you insure it to value. Restrictions are that it must be garaged & not a daily driver.

#43 ·
Congrats and welcome to the club. I felt the same way but it is a personal choice. I got a Plum SP Shaker because I grew up liking the old school look. I could have bought a Hellcat but honestly I didn't like the look as much. But someone else might want the speed. I also love colors that stand out so a white one was not even an option. And I wanted a stick because I like to row my own. But all these were personal choices. A 5.7 with the 8 is a great option and might be quicker than my 6 speed 392 off the line. At the end of the day you have to be happy and what makes you happy is very different from some guy with a small wang trying to prove something. lol Just laugh at the critics. Enjoy your ride!

#46 ·
This is America. Drive what u want and can afford!! Who gives a crap what other people think or say!! Just got a 19 Challenger RT Scat Pack 392 and I’m happy with it!! Fun to drive when I drive it!! If I’m not on my Harley that is.
Have no regrets with your choices ever!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.