Dodge Challenger Forum banner
581 - 600 of 625 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sinamon Stick Widebody
184 Posts
I had a 2018 Challenger that did that. It was basically due to an internal delamination on the screen. Sometimes with everything off and looking at the top edge of the screen while it is black you can actually see the discoloration. Basically, it acts like a finger touching it. It is a warranty item but, in my case, it was no longer under warrantee. What I did was contacted the "Dodge Cares" folks about it. They had me take it to the local dealership and get it documented then get the info to them. In the end "Dodge Cares" contacted the dealership and covered the cost of replacing the head unit.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply, i have it scheduled to go into the Dealership next week, can i clean it or something until then, i was gonna stop by and see what they will do. i thought it was my battery low, cause i do not drive it much, mostly on weekend and tool around, so i plugged it up to a trickle charger to keep it charged. i know that can help also.

bigmike1
2018 challenger RT scat pack

·
Registered
2020 Sinamon Stick Widebody
184 Posts
Thanks for your reply, i have it scheduled to go into the Dealership next week, can i clean it or something until then, i was gonna stop by and see what they will do. i thought it was my battery low, cause i do not drive it much, mostly on weekend and tool around, so i plugged it up to a trickle charger to keep it charged. i know that can help also.

bigmike1
2018 challenger RT scat pack
Well in my case, and it seems it was fairly common, it was not a cleaning issue. It was a physical defect and acted like fingers touching along the top changing my presets which was aggravating as hell. Changing the head is pretty expensive but I got lucky in my case. Maybe the dealership can help out but if not If it was me I would definitely send an email to the Dodge Cares folks, you never know.

·
Premium Member
2020 Scat Pack Plus wide body, A8
364 Posts
Why is it is always seems to be the 2018’s with this issue of screen delamination?

What, if anything, affected that run?

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE - not good, i spoke to Dodge Care and nothing they can do, i would need to go to dealer and the Dealer wants 2100.00 not including labor to replace the unit, they have heard of the problem and thats how they fix it. I only got 37000 miles on the car and the Radio ran out at 36000.. go figure.. LOL LOL
i found one on EBAY for the part number 6832 2340AM, but it dont know which one, the price is good between 350 and 600 dollars. UGH UGH.. mine if the 8.4 UConnect and Dodge wont install it, i have to find an Audio store to get it installed, most wont unless i buy it from them. HA HA :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek:

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Search YouTube for “challenger screen delamination” or similar keywords.

There’s tons of DIY videos for fixing and/or replacing.

There’s even a company that you can send your own head unit in for guaranteed repair (I think),

The remove and replace doesn’t seem all that difficult, as I recall.

Also, search this forum for SCREEN DELAMINATION.

Lots of discussions on it.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Found it:

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
2,359 Posts
Hi - New to Forum

I hope someone has experienced this issue, i am having problems, which is, my UConnect radio is cycling thru the Stations as is someone is pushing the tabs, it is making the Beep sounds each time it switches, it even happens when i play music on my USB it forwards thru the songs, i am not touching any buttons, but every time i switch it to a station it moves on its on, random like. I turn car off then on it still occurs, sometimes it clears up, most time it does not.

thanks for reading..

BigMike1
2018 dodge challenger RT Scat Pack
Welcome from Kentucky! Do a search on here about this issue. It has been a somewhat common problem in the 2017+ cars, where the screen starts to delaminate. You should find some good information and several member's have done the repair themselves. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks pretty cool, only thing is i have to remove my radio, no issues i guess and turn around is like 6 days, thats bette than nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@DodgeCares would like some assistance with my 2018 Hellcat Challenger. The screen has the delamination issue and the screen is “ghost” touching. It is extremely unsafe with the driving modes being changed. FCA opened a case and sent me instructions to have the dealership provide a diagnosis. Once that was done I called back and unfortunately, had a conversation with a Martin that was an extremely unprofessional rep that was rude and hung up on me. I am very concerned about driving my hellcat with the ghost touches as this is a safety issue. I understand this is a huge issue for thousands of people. I would ask for dodge to make an exception with a goodwill action to pay the $1200 cost for the replacement as my vehicle only has 10730 miles on it. I am a long term customer and would like to see Dodge make this issue right by covering this cost.
Here is my case number is 83279205. I appreciate your time. Thanks. Amber
I am unable to send you a message, maybe because I am a new member.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Things are not looking good when they won’t fix a car for one of their customer service people.
If you are listening dodge it is time to step up to the plate and at least offer low cost replacements at say 250 to those who are not under warranty.
It is complete BS that something that controls this much of the car is not covered under the powertrain warranty as it controls the powertrain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My screen in my dodge 2018 RT keeps going crazy selecting a certain areas over and over again. Small bubbling in the screen but other than that it’s fine. Just keeps selecting usb 1 and whatever else is in the spot on other pages.

·
Registered
504 Posts
As others have mentioned, your touchscreen has delaminated. The dealer will replace the entire radio for a princely sum. Hopefully, you have extended warranty. If not, you can replace the touchscreen. See several U-Tube videos on this topic. I also read that some owner's have contacted U-Tube directly and they were repairing the radios or replacing them. Good luck & let us know how this plays out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,035 Posts
This came out in May 2021. They basically are saying confirm panel delamination and not screen saver, but it's again obvious they are well aware of the defect. It shows for years 2017 through 2021 (so far)

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are having the same issue @DodgeCares what is the solution. Why was this not a recall repair ?
I submitted a complaint to the NHTSA (Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA) since the screen would jitter so bad it was distracting.

We ended up just paying to replace the unit. We'd still like to be reimbursed by Dodge or the unit manufacturer.

To add to the saga, the dealership gave us the runaround because the part number on our original unit didn't match the manufacturer details for our model year (even though it was original), so they were going to charge us $1500 instead of just $500 for the replacement part. We ultimately had the dealership request the same part number we already had in our car (which meant no one year warranty - not significant anyway) and received the correct, new model (new part number) for $500. The new screen type is completely different, so we hope that means we won't have any future issues.

581 - 600 of 625 Posts