Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Reuters this morning.

"A major redesign of FCA's full-size Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger, originally slated for mid- to late 2018, could slip to 2019 or later, suppliers said."

Read more: Exclusive: Fiat Chrysler delays many future vehicle programs - Business Insider

Not that I mind because I like the current design but it would be nice to get a Challenger with a few hundred pounds less weight. Plus after what they did to the 2015 Charger not sure I trust them with a complete redesign.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I hated the Charger too, until I saw the Hellcat in person at Dodge Rocks Gas Monkey. The 2015 is a very sweet ride.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,874 Posts
If that happens, the Challenger will be using virtually the same body/sheet metal for 11 or more years straight!! Plenty of fenders will be available....lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
They really need to get someone with their head screwed on straight in that corner office...

·
Registered
959 Posts
I find this to be not very good news. "Serg" has been looking for the big merger with no takers. The company is not making a lot of money despite great sales volume. So I think they are cash poor and looking for a financial life preserver. I was looking forward to the MY18 redesign more out of curiosity than anything else plus it lined up with my retirement plans, wanted to score one last nice car before I pull the job plug.

My other guess is that they are going to have to broaden global appeal to survive just as Ford and Chevy have with their retro cars. Challenger/Charger can't be far behind. Nothing lasts forever.

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
I can see the logic in focusing on the volume sellers - that's the fastest return on the investment.

-it helps pay for the other lines which will take longer to recoup the $$ spent. Its odd that the Dart it getting delayed - sales haven't been that great for the model and that's a segment Chrysler is weak on sales volume.

The 200 is doing better, but for its size, the MPG isn't as good as the competitors, especially if optioned with the 3.6 engine...so it isn't selling as many as expected, but doing better than Dart models.

The delays might also be to figure out if there's a co-engineered or shared platform from a future business partner that could be worked into future model development - we've seen this happen before with other makes that shared engines or suspensions across various brands.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Delaying NA stuff but pushing forward European stuff. But it's NA stuff that's making the $

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
...and lets not forget most of the tooling on the current NA fleet is fully depreciated (except for the HC engine and interiors). Pushing back the redesign of a good selling fleet you make good margin on and who`s core customer base is happy with the current big car retro theme make plenty good sense to me.
I'm guessing they'll milk the current cash-cow fleet till sales really dive and then release the fresh meat.
my 2c

·
Registered
786 Posts
Markets vary nationwide, but I rarely ever see a Fiat 500 anything outside of a university parking lot. Yet FCA keeps on trying to make it viable with a 4 door monstrosity, a crossover, and who knows what else.

Fiat is a bust in North America. Less than half the Fiat dealerships are profitable and they are pushing the car to rental car agencies. Even in Europe, the 500 is flat.

FCA is leaving CJDR to keep on while the engineering money and talent is siphoned off to fix Fiat, Lancia, and Alfa Romeo. This is why the 5.7L Hemi is not advancing.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
A lot of this has to do with marchionne pushing alpha Romeo and maserati. He is heel bent on making them big luxury models here and is investment billions. My take is he can't afford it and this is the reason for all the talk of merging with someone to help with cost of it. FCA is not in financial trouble at all.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well when the challenger keeps selling more units every year that goes by why screw with success? I wonder how many cars have sold more units the older the model has gotten? Gotta be an anomaly.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
What was wrong with the Charger? I think it is now a stronger design than it has ever been (I was never a fan of the 2000-era Charger design).

·
Registered
2012 SRT8
332 Posts
I know some say the Fiat 500 is flat on sales but there are allot of them running around down here. Hell I see at least 2 on the way to work everyday and If I stop somewhere there will be a few drive up.

I am even thinking of buying one for a commuter car...

I like the NEW Charger. I never did care for the other design but the body style they have for the hellcat is nice. Still sucks that it has to many doors but oh well. They should have named it a Coronet instead of Charger.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Always a thin line trying to keep current customers happy and bringing new ones into the brands with new designs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You said it. You hate changing something thats good, but at the same token you have to try and get new customers and you cant keep on with the same thing year after year.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You said it. You hate changing something thats good, but at the same token you have to try and get new customers and you cant keep on with the same thing year after year.
Dodge likely thought the same thing going from the 68/69/70 Charger to the 71 Model. Like it's been said its a tough choice to change perfection for the sake of change, nonetheless sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger 2015 SXT Plus
86 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts