Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used '15 and up R/T Plus, T/A Plus, Scat Pack, or SRT 392 (the deciding factors will be value for cost and insurance premiums), and while I think the stock exhaust on all of those does sound pretty good, I think it needs to be louder and a bit less choked while still being moderately friendly to neighbors (I live in a college student apartment complex). Deleting either the resonator or the muffler is a lot cheaper than a new exhaust system. Which of these two options would sound best and satisfy my goals?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would delete the muffler and leave the resos. Look up some youtube videos and you can see how it will sound. It'll be loud but not unbearable (to me or most I think).

I know what you mean about being respectful to neighbors. I work security on a college campus currently and my car (straight piped) would set off car alarms every time I pulled into the garage... Just added some small mufflers because I felt bad lol.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would delete the muffler and leave the resos. Look up some youtube videos and you can see how it will sound. It'll be loud but not unbearable (to me or most I think).

I know what you mean about being respectful to neighbors. I work security on a college campus currently and my car (straight piped) would set off car alarms every time I pulled into the garage... Just added some small mufflers because I felt bad lol.
So the muffler controls the volume while the resonator controls the sound/tone?

·
Registered
800 Posts
In essence, however deleting both will result in a louder exhaust than if you just deleted the muffler.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,754 Posts
Mufflers are meant to reduce sound pressure. Gasses expand as they move through baffles, perforations, sometimes even sound dampening materials (glass packs for instance).

Resonators are meant to cancel out specific frequencies. Usually considered harsh, or droning. They're designed to work with the original exhaust by the engineers. Removing resonators can result in increased sound, but part of that is the undesirable frequencies. However, other than drone, undesirable is in the ear of the beholder to some extent. This is why tuned J pipes are the best of both worlds. They tune out the harsh frequencies, while adding little to no restriction.

A Guy

·
Registered
218 Posts
Replace the mid mufflers with Dynomax Race Bullets. $125 for both mufflers and install.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did the muffler delete and love the sound, (i have a 15 Scat) in normal mode, however when i switch to Sport, there is one spot in the RPM range where my exhaust tone reminds me of the sound of a trumpet, and i don't like it. plus cold starts are very loud, i can only imagine how this cars will sound without the mufflers and the big resonators in the back... I leave for work at 5:00am everyday :), my neighbors tell me they can hear me every morning, but they love the car lol, so i bought a couple of mini bullets, Dynomax 24250, to place them where the mid mufflers were, not exactly because i want to make it less louder, but because i want to change the tone a bit to get rid of the exhaust notes i don't want, i'll get them installed next week.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I did the muffler delete and love the sound, (i have a 15 Scat) in normal mode, however when i switch to Sport, there is one spot in the RPM range where my exhaust tone reminds me of the sound of a trumpet, and i don't like it. plus cold starts are very loud, i can only imagine how this cars will sound without the mufflers and the big resonators in the back... I leave for work at 5:00am everyday :), my neighbors tell me they can hear me every morning, but they love the car lol, so i bought a couple of mini bullets, Dynomax 24250, to place them where the mid mufflers were, not exactly because i want to make it less louder, but because i want to change the tone a bit to get rid of the exhaust notes i don't want, i'll get them installed next week.
These mini bullets should give you the deeper sounds you are looking for. Without them, it's too raspy. With, it's deeper and gets rid of the trumpets.

Do before and after videos to compare!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
Another option is replacing the mufflers with vibrant resonators part #1794. I heard this on a Hellcat on a different forum and they sounded better than the bullet mufflers.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
I find that removing the mid mufflers (at least on corsa catback) tends to move all the exhaust sound to the back so you don't get that rumble from directly beneath the cabin. Could be why some say mid muffler delete is still not loud enough because the in cabin rumble is pretty much gone and that is the sound they are looking for?

·
Registered
178 Posts
These mini bullets should give you the deeper sounds you are looking for. Without them, it's too raspy. With, it's deeper and gets rid of the trumpets.

Do before and after videos to compare!

Ah man i didn't see this post until now, i had the mufflers changed today, but i don't have a video showing before/after, sorry about that, sound wise, the exhaust tone has smoothed out across the powerband, cold starts loudness, and overall driving loudness have diminished a tad, but it's still loud and mean, i know is certainly hard to describe with words, think about running without the mid mufflers, but with few less decibels.., trumpet notes have changed to something more pleasant to my ears as well, which is exactly the reason for me to add this small resonators in the mix, overall i like the new exhaust sound, didn't notice the tone being deeper though, maybe little less raspy top end, and little less louder for sure, hence why i think the tone is smoother.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ah man i didn't see this post until now, i had the mufflers changed today, but i don't have a video showing before/after, sorry about that, sound wise, the exhaust tone has smoothed out across the powerband, cold starts loudness, and overall driving loudness have diminished a tad, but it's still loud and mean, i know is certainly hard to describe with words, think about running without the mid mufflers, but with few less decibels.., trumpet notes have changed to something more pleasant to my ears as well, which is exactly the reason for me to add this small resonators in the mix, overall i like the new exhaust sound, didn't notice the tone being deeper though, maybe little less raspy top end, and little less louder for sure, hence why i think the tone is smoother.
Cool, I was asking for you to compare. I already swapped and made a video about mine a while ago

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cool, I was asking for you to compare. I already swapped and made a video about mine a while ago

:icon_cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts